Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car tyres, Worthing-ish area

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway, a friend of mine swears by ordering his tyres online, and then taking them and the car to a local garage or dealer to be fitted. He seems to think he saves loads by doing it that way. He used to be a designer at Ford so he does pretty much know his car stuff.

Me, I go to Hi-Q. Never, ever Kwik Fit.

D

Deleted member 2719

Anyway, a friend of mine swears by ordering his tyres online, and then taking them and the car to a local garage or dealer to be fitted. He seems to think he saves loads by doing it that way. He used to be a designer at Ford so he does pretty much know his car stuff.

Me, I go to Hi-Q. Never, ever Kwik Fit.

Hi q brighton are part of elite garages, nice guys but owners are sharks and don't pay there suppliers. They will never see the colour of my money. If in Brighton rapid autos if in worthing Setyres.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Any of the above best for a Mercedes ML350? 6,000 miles a year of gentle mileage but MB quoting a hefty £1300 for Continentals & Kwikfit £1150 for Continentals or Pirelli.
Views welcome!?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Talking about tyres got a screw stuck in mine. Wanted to put the spare on. I managed to loosen one bolt and the locking nut, tried the other three, no chance. They where on so tight I ended up cracking the socket. Why have cars become so difficult?

Most garages use machines to tighten/loosen the wheel nuts and so screw them in much more. I had the same issue around 6 months ago and ended up needing to call out the AA. Even my extendable socket wouldnt make it budge. The AA man said it is a more common problem now.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Aside from avoiding Kwik Fit, I'd avoid Halfords too. Funny how you can go to a Halfords Auto Centre for something trivial like a new tyre or two, and they "warn" you about things that need "urgent attention soon". I go to my regular mechanic who takes a look and tells me they are talking bull. Another outfit I experienced in the past trying the "urgent attention" stunt were National Auto Centre's who no longer exist having been taken over by......Halfords.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Most garages use machines to tighten/loosen the wheel nuts and so screw them in much more. I had the same issue around 6 months ago and ended up needing to call out the AA. Even my extendable socket wouldnt make it budge. The AA man said it is a more common problem now.

Decent fitters/mechanics only use a gun to nip the bolts up then torque them to the correct tightness (usually around 80lb/ft)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This - very competitive - fantastic range of options - and why hang around?!

I was sent an email by Event Tyres after the last pair of tyres they fitted asking me to enter a draw for Motorsport tickets. I did it because it was early in the morning when I opened the email and I had nothing on at the time. I virtually never bother as I know I have no chance of winning. A week later I was advised I had won two tickets for the Sunday at the Festival of Speed. Any other tyre fitting companies on this thread match that ?? :lolol:

Had a fabulous time last Sunday at Goodwood!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Decent fitters/mechanics only use a gun to nip the bolts up then torque them to the correct tightness (usually around 80lb/ft)

I went to a kwikfit /elite garage type place where it was speed over service unfortunatly

Pickles

May 5, 2014
As posted by others before, always discount tyres for me.

Some years they've been a little bit more than others when doing the research, but I'd choose them any day because they know what they're doing.

Oh, and tell John the manager that he's crap at golf and he'll add 10 per cent to your bill. :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't use Kwik-Fit for anything. The sooner they go bust the better.

I'm sorry Doug but the Newhaven Kwik-Fit is fine, I have had a MOT and basic service done on my van there for the past 3 years including last Saturday, it's near to where I live so I drop off the van and walk home, I haven't had a problem with this branch.

I do use Arrow in Newhaven for tyres as the customer service there is outstanding.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I'm sorry Doug but the Newhaven Kwik-Fit is fine, I have had a MOT and basic service done on my van there for the past 3 years including last Saturday, it's near to where I live so I drop off the van and walk home, I haven't had a problem with this branch.

I do use Arrow in Newhaven for tyres as the customer service there is outstanding.

I've never heard of that there, ever!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here