Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car tax discs scrapped after 93 years.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What exactly is the proposal to replace the tax disc, how / what will we pay as a replacement and when?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
There is no replacement. You carry on renewing as normal, you just don't display a paper disc anymore.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sorry, in what context ??

I dunno :blush: As I don't drive I get most of my information on vehicle taxes etc from internet forums :D Probably something to do with increased haulage fees due to higher fuel prices having a knock-on effect on the price of shopping. I don't think I was having a very good day :)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The new system will be introducing annual, six months or monthly direct debit payment options. Payments that are made annually will not incur any surcharges.

In this era where money is quite tight, monthly direct debits are a welcome relief. However, paying on a monthly basis may not always be the best option as surcharges will be added. These charges can certainly mount up if you have many monthly payments. Please note ‘first registration’ vehicles, HGV’s and fleet contracts will not be able to pay monthly.

Another sad change is that the road tax disc will no longer be transferable on private sales. This is to ensure the seller can’t make out there’s more tax available on the vehicle than what there actually is. The previous owner will be responsible to reclaim the unused period and the new owner will have to start afresh once the vehicle has been purchased.
General public will no longer be able to report unlicensed vehicles.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Even on a fleet policy, you need to advise insurers what vehicles you are using or have used during a period. If you have a large number of changes during the year then likely that your policy will be on a quarterly declaration. If not many changes then you have to advise them as and when the changes are made. You can't take out a fleet policy for 100 vehicles and then, during the year lease an additional 100 but return them before the end of the policy year and never declare them to your insurers. At best that is neglect at worst, fraud and in either case your drivers are driving without insurance.

In my previous job, at least the last insurer (QBE) didn't even know or care what vehicles were being used as there was a fixed number of named drivers insured; and that alone is what they were charging for. Once the vehicles were owned or beneficially owned (by lease) by the company and were Category B licence category that was all that mattered. I was a lot less involved during the periods they used Zurich and FBD but I believe it worked the same.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
And, still we await an explanation of why a system whereby those that use the roads aren't the ones that pay for it?

The difficulty arises because there is no way of knowing in advance how many miles you are going to do in the coming year.

People may normally do only a few miles a year, then suddenly their circumstances change and they have to drive a lot more.

They would then be driving those extra miles on a reduced VED based on their previously expected road usage.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not if you include fuel duty you don't.

VED is a good thing, it's only a tiny amount compared to the amount motorists spend on fuel duty - but it discourages many people to buy cars that are bad for the environment, particularly young people.

This

VED is a tax based on the vehicle and its construction - has nothing to do with funding the cost of roads.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I always thought it would be a good idea to introduce a 'Vignette' type road tax for foreign cars and lorries . This would bring some much needed funds to the roads , most other European countries do this or tolls . Say £10 for 10 days and £20 over 10 days for cars , it is not a lot and shouldn't influence any tourists entering the UK . Lorries to be charged a commercial rate , this would increase benefits for UK exports and decrease for imports , and this would help the UK carrier companies out a bit to obtain more business .

It may take a while to introduce , either through ticket checks (by traffic police) as in the Czech Republic/Austria etc or electronic overhead camera's as in the case of Hungary .

Just a thought !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here