Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Capital Punishment

Capital punishment

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Speak to anyone who has done serious long tern prison time, it really isn’t a holiday, whatever the Mail might say.
Personally I do think if any of my close family were murdered , then yes , I would want revenge in the most terrible way imaginable, however, I would hope that my fellow countrymen would be civilised enough to realise that it is revenge born of unbearable grief and prevent me from carrying it out.

You also have a lot more faith in the incorruptibility of our law enforcement agencies than I do. See my Stefan Kiszko post, it is still possible something like this could happen.

In America, the States that practice capital punishment have a consistently higher murder rate than those that don’t. Who ever committed a crime thinking they would get caught? More often it’s a case of criminals killing to escape arrest because they don’t want to be executed.

Why should the State take a life, when many, many citizens don’t agree with it.
The price of civilisation is we keep murderers alive when our more basic instincts are for revenge.
Not in my name.

Pretty much my thoughts. And on the particular subject of if a loved one was murdered I expect my initial response might be that they should die too. However, on reflection killing them is just too easier a way out for them. Send them to prison for life and it should mean that. And crucially make prison an unbearable hell for them to the extent that if anyone is going to kill them it will be themselves.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Does the Culture Secretary have some kind of influence on local TV programming?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, you are comparing the value of the life of an innocent person with that of a murderer[/I]?

I’ll feck off from this thread now, my mind just boggles

I think you've misunderstood my question. I'm not doing as you claim. Perhaps I didn't word it very well.

I'm asking why the murder of some people should be met with Capital Punishment, but the murder of people that fall outside of the four categories named should not be subject to the same punishment.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
What if the policeman you murdered was Wayne Couzens?

(hypothetically)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How can you be a football hooligan and in favour of capital punishment?

I've not read any of his posts on this thread for reasons understandable, but I'd probably not complain to see him executed. Waste of food, air and my time :shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
“The State is not God. It has no right to take away that which it cannot give back, if it should so desire.”

Anton Chekhov, The Bet

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
“The State is not God. It has no right to take away that which it cannot give back, if it should so desire.”

Anton Chekhov, The Bet

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Very good.

I'm very pleased that more than 80% of those voting have voted correctly. I'm aware that many in favour of the rope won't have voted. Because they can't be bothered to vote. Fancy that :facepalm:

The 20% need to take a good look at themselves. Unless you are prepared to shoot or stab someone to death yourself (and not someone who has done anything to you or yours) then shut the **** up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I voted for the bottom, but that would be in extreme cases and only if there is absolutely no doubt. Beyond reasonable doubt, prison, no doubt then execution if the person may be deemed to be unrehabilitatable by psychiatrists.

Yes, sadly the world has changed - not entirely for the better - since we abolished the death penalty in 1964 (or whenever it actually was - 1964 was the last execution). Unthinkable thiufh it might have been back in the hopeful days of the 1960s - and many decades since - 9/11, 7/7 and DNA have shifted the landscape.
Human rights for Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting anyone? (Yes, I know people will be queueing up to protect their rights on NSC, so as a minority opinion I'll leave this thread before the inevitable outrage).

Jan 30, 2008
Very good.

I'm very pleased that more than 80% of those voting have voted correctly. I'm aware that many in favour of the rope won't have voted. Because they can't be bothered to vote. Fancy that :facepalm:

The 20% need to take a good look at themselves. Unless you are prepared to shoot or stab someone to death yourself (and not someone who has done anything to you or yours) then shut the **** up.

That's right H let's silence anyones opinion you don't agree with zzzzzzzzzzz

Regards
FF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, you are comparing the value of the life of an innocent person with that of a murderer?

I’ll feck off from this thread now, my mind just boggles.

You and me both. :thumbsup:

There will be a shit-storm of outrage and abuse on here before this thread disappears into the bear pit (too many 'not the right sort of' views being expressed).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lenny chucks in the hand grenade then says nought (again)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Your pet gets old and poorly, so you put it out of its misery. Your elderly relative loses their mind and bowel control but keep them going.

The kunnt that killed a young teacher? I'll do it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Of course not.

And all the Icy Gull seeks is revenge, not justice. Call that civilised?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The risk of mistakes means it cannot be brought back into the mainstream criminal justice system.

However, for cast iron (you know what I mean) crimes against humanity/genocide if we’re at war (eg Putin) then yes. I’d hang that ******* myself, and his cronies.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course not.

And all the Icy Gull seeks is revenge, not justice. Call that civilised?

"Vengeance is mine" said the Lord. Allegedly.......................
Surprising how many so-called progressive liberals must secretly believe in him then, if they're happy to leave the job to him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very good.

Your last sentence is interesting. To briefly go off on a tangent, that's how I feel about meat eaters. Especially pet owning meat eaters. Easy to hide from the reality of a slaughterhouse and pick up your dead animal to eat already killed and prepared for you. I suspect they'd be a lot more Vegans and Vegetarians in the world if the dirty work wasn't already done for them.

Anyway, enough of that. I'll get back on topic, and your point, sort of, with this instead:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here