[Politics] Capital Punishment

Capital punishment

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hence we’ve got a Vicar in the red corner and an Atheist in the blue ��

Maybe you should use this Capital Punishment debate to start debates on a whole load of laws introduced in a short period over 50 years ago

Should the contraceptive pill still be legal ?
Should Abortion be banned ?
Should Homosexuality still be legal ?
Should women be able to divorce on grounds other than adultery ?

Maybe take on International Issues

Is it time to repeal the Civil Rights Acts ?

I bet Alan Partridge could make a whole series from it ???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Maybe you should use this Capital Punishment debate to start debates on a whole load of laws introduced in a short period over 50 years ago

Should the contraceptive pill still be legal ?
Should Abortion be banned ?
Should Homosexuality still be legal ?
Should women be able to divorce on grounds other than adultery ?

Maybe take on International Issues

Is it time to repeal the Civil Rights Acts ?

Who is the best lord?
What is the best condiment?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://waimakclassiccars.co.nz/cla...storical-figures-what-would-they-have-driven/

This prompted me to delve into some of the great “what if’s” of history, what if the following icons from this list were alive today? Would they have a car? And if so, would it be a classic? Whether an all conquering Emperor, notorious politician or flamboyant member of high society, it certainly doesn’t take much imagination to put an historical figure with an appropriate classic car. Here is a list of 9 influential figures from world history and the classic cars I think they would own were they still here, though a couple of these figures the world is happy to have left behind!

Eg;

3. Genghis Khan – Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser

One billion people alive today can trace their family tree back to the absolute ruler of the biggest Empire the world has ever seen. Genghis Khan was the first “Great Khan” of the Mongol Empire, with just about every inch of Asia and Mongolia under his personal control. He did this by uniting the Mongol Tribes and increasing his influence to become sole ruler of the Mongolian plains in 1206.

Genghis Kahn’s Empire was made up mostly of vast wide open spaces and rocky mountain ranges, with tens of millions of horses at his disposal, he could send messages from one end of his Asian empire to the other, in three days. However, if he were around today and his classic of choice was a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, he may have had a more comfortable time.

The old FJ with it’s bullet proof diesel engine, four speed manual and simple low range four wheel drive, not to mention its legendary rugged go anywhere reliability, its easy to imagine a fleet of these as Khan’s disposal as he visits his subjects and is ready to winch his people out of trouble.

Discuss

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
https://waimakclassiccars.co.nz/cla...storical-figures-what-would-they-have-driven/

This prompted me to delve into some of the great “what if’s” of history, what if the following icons from this list were alive today? Would they have a car? And if so, would it be a classic? Whether an all conquering Emperor, notorious politician or flamboyant member of high society, it certainly doesn’t take much imagination to put an historical figure with an appropriate classic car. Here is a list of 9 influential figures from world history and the classic cars I think they would own were they still here, though a couple of these figures the world is happy to have left behind!

Eg;

3. Genghis Khan – Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser

One billion people alive today can trace their family tree back to the absolute ruler of the biggest Empire the world has ever seen. Genghis Khan was the first “Great Khan” of the Mongol Empire, with just about every inch of Asia and Mongolia under his personal control. He did this by uniting the Mongol Tribes and increasing his influence to become sole ruler of the Mongolian plains in 1206.

Genghis Kahn’s Empire was made up mostly of vast wide open spaces and rocky mountain ranges, with tens of millions of horses at his disposal, he could send messages from one end of his Asian empire to the other, in three days. However, if he were around today and his classic of choice was a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, he may have had a more comfortable time.

The old FJ with it’s bullet proof diesel engine, four speed manual and simple low range four wheel drive, not to mention its legendary rugged go anywhere reliability, its easy to imagine a fleet of these as Khan’s disposal as he visits his subjects and is ready to winch his people out of trouble.

Discuss

GK would drive a Haval made by Great Wall for the irony factor.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

"What is the best thing? What's the best thing of all?

So far we've got Sky Plus, a cup of Brazil nuts (that was amusing), livestock (valid) and wet wipes.

Let's have some more..."

(from 8:11)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Who the **** is commissioning Latest TV these days :lolol::moo:

I can answer that - Ian Steele. Part of what I call the Brighton and Hove Mafia. Includes his mates Robbie Raggio, Dave Day, the bloke that used to own the Black Lion and went to prison for stealing cheques whose name eludes me, the late Gelnn Mishon of Mishon Mackay estate agents, Leo Day and a number of others.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Uh oh. Bit of competition in debating the big issue of the day it seems.

Capital punishment; it's a political hot potato. Anne Widdiecombe, catch...
371cc08f4d65a21ac4fd9c3252441e84.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thought of this thread with news of the Amess killer found guilty. case for capital punishment? do we want someone like Ali rattling around a prison for 30-40 years, potentially indoctinating others? im generally swayed to the non-capital punishment, cases like this make me sway towards.

Last edited:

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I used to be a staunch supporter of capital punishment, but not now. Why should a violent murderer or terrorist be gently put to sleep painlessly, the only people punished are their families, life should mean life. I don't however, agree with the British stance of not deporting to the US because of capital punishment there. If they're wanted in America, the penalty comes under their laws not ours. Slightly off course, why do convicted people receive time off for good behaviour, I think they should serve the full sentence, then have it added to if they don't behave.

Jan 30, 2008
thought of this thread with news of the Amess killer found guilty. case for capital punishment? do we want someone like Ali rattling around a prison for 30-40 years, potentially indoctinating others? im generally swayed to the non-capital punishment, cases like this make me sway towards.

Took the jury 15 minutes to come to that decision he's now going to waste tax payers money on a full life sentence :facepalm:

Regards
DF

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Took the jury 15 minutes to come to that decision he's now going to waste tax payers money on a full life sentence :facepalm:

So what is the monetary value of a human life in your opinion?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Uh oh. Bit of competition in debating the big issue of the day it seems.

Capital punishment; it's a political hot potato. Anne Widdiecombe, catch...
371cc08f4d65a21ac4fd9c3252441e84.jpg

I wonder if those boffins at Latest TV have thought about pairing our Lenny with Anne Widdiecombe as co-presenters for these controversial debates? Their very own Richard & Judy!

This could be MASSIVE for latest TV, their viewer numbers would surely hit 3 figures!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone who votes for any State enforced execution needs to read about Stefan Kiszko.
Although he was never executed, if his case had happened 20 years earlier, he would have been.
Basically, fitted up by Police and , crucially a Home Office pathologist, and a Court appointed Defence barrister( David Waddington QC, who later became Home Secretary) who was proven to be incompetent.

If the corruption displayed by the Police in this case is anything to go by, even DNA could be manipulated by the Old Bill and a corrupt Pathologist to achieve their desired result.

In Kiszko’s case , the Pathologist and the Senior Police Officer were not prosecuted for perjury, as it was deemed to ‘ not be in the Public interest’.
Indeed. I wasn't going to read this thread (and I've stopped at your comment to write this and won't bother reading the rest), but that is a case that always sticks in my mind. Kiszko was convicted of the murder of eleven year old Lesley Molseed in 1974 or 75 (I'm doing this from memory). It was the ultimate fit-up job, and not a single person in authority comes out with any credit. Long before he was released it was obvious he was innocent, and the Molseed family were eventually gracious enough to say that there were two victims of Lesley's murder. They also befriended his mother who had campaigned tirelessly for her son's release - even though they'd yelled abuse at her at the time of his conviction.

Sadly, broken by his experiences in prison, Kiszko died shortly after his release. His mum I think, died just before he was exonerated. I actually haven't read about the case, and the subsequent whitewash, for years because it makes me so angry and upset, but don't anyone tell me that it can't happen again as 'lessons have been learned' and ' checks and safeguards have been put in place' as that's what the Authorities always say when they've been found out. It's never true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here