Capital punishment

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn't surprise me if Johnson decides a referendum on bringing back capital punishment will be the headline promise in the next tory manifesto.

If I were shameless, I'd definitely do it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What do you feel you will gain from these two guests though? What will they provide which most people don’t know already? This discussion has, excuse the pun, been done to death over the years/decades and has become quite hackneyed. Why not debate something more relevant and topical like cancel culture?

Indeed. If the OP is looking for interesting programme ideas for Latest TV that he can host, there is a whole treasure trove here:

https://youtu.be/X06g7_LHiGo

‘Lady Shapes with Lenny Rider’ would surely be better entertainment than the tired old capital punishment question where the great British public are probably 80% against if the NCS poll is anything to go by.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As is sometimes the norm on NSC, you throw questions up here - and if people don't want to hear it, they throw a sh*t grenade at you....

I mentioned "100% stone cold guilty" - like the man in the images earlier who beheaded a soldier then walked down the street covered in blood, holding the murder weapon. Shall we pay around £47,000 a year to keep him locked up whilst homeless people with all manner of issues lay freezing on the streets? Is that money well spent looking after someone who despises the country he lives in and wants to murder the inhabitants? Why yes, that man has rights... doesn't he? Let our poor, disadvantaged and homeless be deprived of that money.

I also asked the question about accuracy, which was shot down. I'm not that stupid that if there was 1% of doubt then that's not 100%, and someone shouldn't face the threat of capital punishment.

I also realise that the death sentence in the USA doesn't seem to work wonderfully, but is that because they have guns.. and it's a hell of a lot easier to murder someone over there? Get high, get pissed, pull a trigger - and you're a murderer. Easily done in the heat of the moment.. Over here it takes a genuinely concerted effort to kill someone. Think about that...

Finally, I didn't actually say I fully supported the death sentence. I was merely throwing issues up for debate. :rolleyes:

My views are my views, yours are yours, and everyone has good points. I respect them.

One of the reasons that the majority of British Muslims are not terrorists is that they appreciate being part of this nation, a nation that can rightfully take the moral high ground. I spent an hour on Teams with one this morning. One of my students. A super lad.

Our nut job with the red hands is more than 2 standard deviations from the mean. Or do you really think he is perfectly normal, not suffering for paranoid delusions, and is instead a considered, measured, calculating enemy of the state? Really?

He would love to die in the name of his mission. He'd welcome it.

Killing him would make him equal to the British state, and make him justified in the minds of some. Revenge for the actions of the west in the middle east ceases to be an absurd load of old bollocks and suddenly becomes a cause worthy of consideration if we start stringing them up.

As I have said, if you can persuade me that killing is fine then, by all means, save a few quid and exterminate the recidivists. All of them. Our jails are full of people who will offend within hours of their inevitable release. It's what they do :shrug:

Jan 30, 2008
One of the reasons that the majority of British Muslims are not terrorists is that they appreciate being part of this nation, a nation that can rightfully take the moral high ground. I spent an hour on Teams with one this morning. One of my students. A super lad.

Our nut job with the red hands is more than 2 standard deviations from the mean. Or do you really think he is perfectly normal, not suffering for paranoid delusions, and is instead a considered, measured, calculating enemy of the state? Really?

He would love to die in the name of his mission. He'd welcome it.

Killing him would make him equal to the British state, and make him justified in the minds of some. Revenge for the actions of the west in the middle east ceases to be an absurd load of old bollocks and suddenly becomes a cause worthy of consideration if we start stringing them up.

As I have said, if you can persuade me that killing is fine then, by all means, save a few quid and exterminate the recidivists. All of them. Our jails are full of people who will offend within hours of their inevitable release. It's what they do :shrug:

Could you explain why there's Ghettos in some towns in this country if they fully appreciate being part of this country 🤔

Regards
DF

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They do in certain circumstances.

As opposed as I am to the death penalty, I am more than happy for the police to shoot dead terrorists to protect live as we’ve seen in London in recent years.

The murdering knifeman with a fake explosives vest (or claiming to have one), eliminated by the Met on the London Bridge …. it was the right thing to do.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What precisely has that tragic mistake got to do with having the death penalty or not?

Nothing.

No but that tragic incident is what this chap is advocating [emoji2357]
They do in certain circumstances.

As opposed as I am to the death penalty, I am more than happy for the police to shoot dead terrorists to protect live as we’ve seen in London in recent years.

I believe they thought he was a terrorist….
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No but that tragic incident is what this chap is advocating [emoji2357]

Yes, and any sane person would be glad when a terrorist on the rampage or setting out to blow other people to kingdom come is killed to save lives. It is the right thing to do.

Shooting someone who isn't a terrorist about to blow other citizens to kingdom come is wrong. The tragic case of the unfortunate plumber is as relevant to the death penalty debate as the price of fish.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, and any sane person would be glad when a terrorist on the rampage or setting out to blow other people to kingdom come is killed to save lives. It is the right thing to do.

Shooting someone who isn't a terrorist about to blow other citizens to kingdom come is wrong. The tragic case of the unfortunate plumber is as relevant to the death penalty debate as the price of fish.

I think you’ve completely misunderstood my point, the poster was advocating his support for armed police to shoot to kill terrorist’s whilst also being against the death penalty, I was simply pointing out like mistakes in capital punishment trials this concept can also produce mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Could you explain why there's Ghettos in some towns in this country if they fully appreciate being part of this country 🤔

Regards
DF

People living in the same street or suburb because they have a shared cultural heritage does not mean they don't appreciate being part of the country and neither does it mean they live in a ghetto. I very much enjoy living in Portugal and having Portuguese residence but I speak little Portuguese and I live in a town where there are quite a few British and Irish citizens with Portuguese residence. A consequence of this is that local Portuguese in shops, restaurants, bars, pharmacies, the health centre and the local government can generally speak English so it's easy for me to communicate, shop, eat out and get good healthcare without straining my limited Portuguese language skills. I don't live in a ghetto..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People living in the same street or suburb because they have a shared cultural heritage does not mean they don't appreciate being part of the country and neither does it mean they live in a ghetto. I very much enjoy living in Portugal and having Portuguese residence but I speak little Portuguese and I live in a town where there are quite a few British and Irish citizens with Portuguese residence. A consequence of this is that local Portuguese in shops, restaurants, bars, pharmacies, the health centre and the local government can generally speak English so it's easy for me to communicate, shop, eat out and get good healthcare without straining my limited Portuguese language skills. I don't live in a ghetto..

Shall I tell you what your first mistake was?

Jan 30, 2008

Albufeira isn't Blackburn though

Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here