Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can’t score, won’t score

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Paying the price for not signing a decent striker in the window. Trying to make do. 80% possession and nothing to show for it. I have kept the faith until now but I’ve lost the faith and if we don’t do something about it in the January window I think we’re doomed.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We don't shoot. All the commentators say the same. We all say the same but nothing ever changes. I'm really really pissed off this evening

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Its worrying that our strikers are so reluctant to shoot on our weaker foot. Defenders know this and it's easy to defend against us hence why there are so many blocks.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Paying the price for not signing a decent striker in the window. Trying to make do. 80% possession and nothing to show for it. I have kept the faith until now but I’ve lost the faith and if we don’t do something about it in the January window I think we’re doomed.

I don't think it's the players though. We're so slow at getting it forward and almost always try to overwork every chance that it's gone before we take it. Our best chances tonight came when we played it quickly in behind, we spent the rest of the match camped outside the area without creating hardly anything. The corners are a disgrace. It's just not going to work to the level it needs to playing like that in the Prem. It worries me that Potter doesn't seem to get it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Yes they were rubbish shots.

However you said we don’t shoot... which isn’t true.

What is true is we are crap at shooting.

You are being rather pedantic but I agree. The result is the bleeding same and I'm seething this evening.

I really thought tonight would be 3 points. More fool me for being positive :albion2:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I agree that this is a result of us trying to do it on the cheap. Look at how many goals Wilson has scored already. Watkins has scored 5/6 already as well.

Yes Maupay got off to a good start but he is bang out of form and we don’t have anything like a ready made option.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The reason for so many blocked shots is because we are so ponderous in possession. We don’t have snap shots, we don’t pass soon enough and we give the opposition too much time to get tackles/blocks in.

We have some talented players but they are not being coached well enough to take chances. We should have been out of sight by half time as we should have been last week as well.
Newcastle gave us a 2-0 lead and our management team are surviving on the back of that result right now.
Our confidence is low when it comes to taking chances and I could feel the tension between NM and the rest on the pitch tonight.
Something isn’t quite right behind the scenes.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
11 goals in 8 games is decent.

On paper it is but look at who they've come against. 5 were against Newcastle and Man U, who were both defensively abysmal when we played them, it could have been 7 or 8 in both those games, not to discredit the excellent football we played in those games.

And when it comes to games that we'd like to think we could get three points from, such as West Brom, or today, the goals haven't been there. When we've needed the team to step up and score the goals to win games, they haven't, the fact that we've scored 11 in 8 doesn't change that.

I don't see how anyone can watch our games and say we don't have a problem with putting the ball in the net.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On paper it is but look at who they've come against. 5 were against Newcastle and Man U, who were both defensively abysmal when we played them, it could have been 7 or 8 in both those games, not to discredit the excellent football we played in those games.

And when it comes to games that we'd like to think we could get three points from, such as West Brom, or today, the goals haven't been there. When we've needed the team to step up and score the goals to win games, they haven't, the fact that we've scored 11 in 8 doesn't change that.

I don't see how anyone can watch our games and say we don't have a problem with putting the ball in the net.

I dont disagree with it being a weakness, but the "we dont score any goals and are doomed" thing is overboard.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Very good save by Pope from Welbeck late in first half was the only really decent goalscoring opportunity for either side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here