Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cancelled Season Tickets

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yes, you did. I have held children's season tickets since the AmEx opened, the Ts & Cs stated that you could upgrade, and the club let you do so.

None of this is in any way relevant.

And why is it not relevant that other clubs dont allow it. Is it because its information.that doesnt suit your argument. I think its very relevant when.having a go at the club to point out that even with the clampdown the allowed upgrades remains generous and far more than the club need to offer

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So therefore the current policy is more flexible than the old one. He does seem to want to have his cake and eat it though.

I don't always agree with the club when it comes to ticket policy and pricing, but on this issue they seem to be fair.

The OP also said that he has had a ST for himself and his two lads since moving to the Amex.

Given that the two boys are now 7, they must have been 2 when they first had a ST, which seems a bit young, but fair play to him if that's the case.

I like eating cake....okay I know it's not relevant

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Ah, so you enjoyed exploiting the loop hole but now you've got the hump because they tightened it up.

Since the AmEx opened I've brought >10 people who weren't particularly fans of football and/or Brighton who now follow the club (and a fair number who don't, but hey).

I've also brought a similar number of fans of other clubs who at least pay attention to Brighton.

None of this is detrimental to the club, and has increased match-day revenue, and merchandising sales.

Why is any of this exploitative?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
At what point do innocent people caught out by this become the sort of people who are deliberately defrauding the club. I only ask because all the posters i've seen moaning about this on here have all been from the first group and never the second ???

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
And why is it not relevant that other clubs dont allow it.

Because we're talking about this club, and the how this club has operated since being at the AmEx, and how they recently amended their terms and conditions.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
At what point do innocent people caught out by this become the sort of people who are deliberately defrauding the club. I only ask because all the posters i've seen moaning about this on here have all been from the first group and never the second ???

Ive been wondering precisely this. Evidently the club have identified a problem and im sure it is to the detriment of some innocent people that the limit is imposed.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Presumably the club have done some sort of financial survey and made the assessment that they were losing money by allowing seven or more upgrades. After all every time a ticket is upgraded they not only get the additional charge made for the upgrade but also the 'in-stadium' spend that they wouldn't get if the seat remained empty.

I'm not sure how they could have come to this conclusion unless there are a large number of concessionary tickets which were being upgraded for the majority of games which by limiting the number of available upgrades will in future be purchased at the full price by those ticket holders - - - - - or when the 'upgrade rule' was enforced the expectation was that in the near future the demand for tickets would exceed the stadium capacity and tickets not renewed next season could easily be sold to new fans at the full price.

el punal

All the lickers believing the club can do no wrong whilst showing little sympathy for a fellow supporter shows just how far we have come since the Amex I guess.

Putting it your terms then, I am a licker. And, yes, the club have come a long way since moving to the Amex. I presume that's what you meant, your post infers that we may have left it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because we're talking about this club, and the how this club has operated since being at the AmEx, and how they recently amended their terms and conditions.

I'm largely onside with what the club are doing here and why they are doing it.

However, you've won me over on one point.

Until this season, fans could upgrade as many times as required throughout a season. The club charter stated: "In instances where the Ticket Office agrees an upgrade can be implemented on a concessionary ticket price, the holder will be required to pay the pro rata difference between the concession season ticket price and the adult season ticket price rounded up to the closest £1."

The Ticket Office always agreed to upgrade and there was never any indication that a limit could be imposed. Therefore many fans bought season tickets for this season in the perfectly valid belief that they would have been able to upgrade as they had previously.

To change this mid-season does seem somewhat inequitable, as illustrated by the OP.

By all means make the change. As I say, I understand the rationale. But the timing is wrong.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Since the AmEx opened I've brought >10 people who weren't particularly fans of football and/or Brighton who now follow the club (and a fair number who don't, but hey).

I've also brought a similar number of fans of other clubs who at least pay attention to Brighton.

None of this is detrimental to the club, and has increased match-day revenue, and merchandising sales.

Why is any of this exploitative?

And because you have introduced these 'new fans', that means that the club should accede to your wishes does it? Sorry it doesn't work like that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Until this season, fans could upgrade as many times as required throughout a season. The club charter stated: "In instances where the Ticket Office agrees an upgrade can be implemented on a concessionary ticket price, the holder will be required to pay the pro rata difference between the concession season ticket price and the adult season ticket price rounded up to the closest £1."

The Ticket Office always agreed to upgrade and there was never any indication that a limit could be imposed. Therefore many fans bought season tickets for this season in the perfectly valid belief that they would have been able to upgrade as they had previously.

To change this mid-season does seem somewhat inequitable, as illustrated by the OP.

By all means make the change. As I say, I understand the rationale. But the timing is wrong.

Hard to disagree with this. The club charter as quoted by you says "....where the ticket office agrees an upgrade....". This wording allows the club to change the rules concerning when they would allow an upgrade. However, if the TO always allowed an upgrade, then they've set a precedent and it's reasonable to expect that precedent to be continued until the end of the existing contract (ie end of the season).

Thus, your choice of "inequitable" as the word to describe the change to the rules mid-season seems exactly the right one.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
And because you have introduced these 'new fans', that means that the club should accede to your wishes does it? Sorry it doesn't work like that.

I was told that I had been "enjoying exploiting a loop hole" and wanted to understand how what I had done was exploitative.

As for acceding to my wishes: no, I just wanted the club to not alter the way they handled upgrades part-way through a season and without any recourse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Presumably the club have done some sort of financial survey and made the assessment that they were losing money by allowing seven or more upgrades. After all every time a ticket is upgraded they not only get the additional charge made for the upgrade but also the 'in-stadium' spend that they wouldn't get if the seat remained empty.

I'm not sure how they could have come to this conclusion unless there are a large number of concessionary tickets which were being upgraded for the majority of games which by limiting the number of available upgrades will in future be purchased at the full price by those ticket holders - - - - - or when the 'upgrade rule' was enforced the expectation was that in the near future the demand for tickets would exceed the stadium capacity and tickets not renewed next season could easily be sold to new fans at the full price.

I agree that in the eventuality that we were to go up, and the ground were regularly sold out, then this becomes a different issue.

At the moment you can buy an U10 ST for a fraction of the adult cost, in effect 'reserving' the seat next to you, using it sometimes for kids, and upgrading to bring a mate as required. They don't want this to be an attractive 'option' because as you say, it's a seat they can't sell as a full price ST. IF we went up, and the ground were full, then the official Ticket Exchange mechanism for reselling your spare when not needed would come into play. This would make the 'extra reserved seat' possibility very attractive indeed for some.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
All the lickers believing the club can do no wrong whilst showing little sympathy for a fellow supporter shows just how far we have come since the Amex I guess.
spot on.

el punal

I have supported the Albion for 40 years and I have held at least two season tickets since 1984, with the only break being the Archer years at Gillingham. I have held a season ticket for myself and my twins boys since moving to the Amex; my boys are now aged 7. I had hoped, over the years for my children to attend more and more matches but alas they are not keen. I upgrade my sons tickets when they do not attend and bring guest, some of whom have since become Albion fans. However, this season the club have limited me to 7 upgrades per season and this is a problem as I cannot now use my sons tickets when they do not attend. I approached the club to reconsider this position. I tried to explain to my predicament and they refused to help.In the end I was left with no choice other than to cancel all the tickets and now have the club threatening to take me to court. A sorry tale and I now no longer attend matches and in light of my treatment as a point of principle I will never go again. This is another example of the club being a cumbersome corporate entity with no regard for their real fans and I know other feel like this, if you feel this way too I strongly recommend you let the club know.It is a shame as if we go up and the club find themselves at the wrong end of the table with dwindling crowds, I would have be one of he ones to stick with them; I wonder how many of the new Amex fans would do this?

Are you being taken to court, as you put it, for reneging on your monthly direct debit payments to the club? If so, being halfway through the season that would be a sizeable chunk of revenue that the club are not getting, despite the fact the agreement (contract) deems it that payment is in 12 monthly instalments.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I see your point perfectly, and yes, to change the rules half way does seem to be less than totally justifiable. The problem seems to be that, as the club stated, a significant minority of fans bought season tickets with a less than valid belief, and their only aim was to exploit a loophole and get it on the cheap. Did the club also not say that random checks had revealed that adults were using children's tickets to enter the stadium. Presumably the club have worked out that the losses are such that a change was needed. Of course this might have been all worked out prior to the season starting, but it may be that an ever increasing number of fans since August have latched on to this, and they said enough is enough. As ever the innocent get caught up in it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I don't think there's a great mystery here. People coming along through an upgraded season ticket are paying far less than the match ticket price. When I upgrade my daughter's WSU ticket, the upgradee has to pay £14 including a £1.50 fee. If they bought a ticket from the ticket office they would be paying £32 or similar. I don't charge them what I've already paid because I buy the ticket knowing it will go unused some of the time.

There will be some people who won't pay £32, certainly. But the club, presumably, believe there are more that will.

Remember, also, that the change was brought in when we were riding the crest of the wave and some were starting to think about Premier League football.

Have they got it right? I have no idea. But they have access to a lot of data that we don't, so are better placed to make the decision. Of course there will be cases of "my mate won't pay £32 but he will pay £14 and when he's in he'll buy pints and pie so the club are losing out on his money therefore the club are stupid." but the club have to make decisions for all.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I have supported the Albion for 40 years and I have held at least two season tickets since 1984, with the only break being the Archer years at Gillingham. I have held a season ticket for myself and my twins boys since moving to the Amex; my boys are now aged 7. I had hoped, over the years for my children to attend more and more matches but alas they are not keen. I upgrade my sons tickets when they do not attend and bring guest, some of whom have since become Albion fans. However, this season the club have limited me to 7 upgrades per season and this is a problem as I cannot now use my sons tickets when they do not attend. I approached the club to reconsider this position. I tried to explain to my predicament and they refused to help.In the end I was left with no choice other than to cancel all the tickets and now have the club threatening to take me to court. A sorry tale and I now no longer attend matches and in light of my treatment as a point of principle I will never go again. This is another example of the club being a cumbersome corporate entity with no regard for their real fans and I know other feel like this, if you feel this way too I strongly recommend you let the club know.It is a shame as if we go up and the club find themselves at the wrong end of the table with dwindling crowds, I would have be one of he ones to stick with them; I wonder how many of the new Amex fans would do this?
I agree with you mate , why the club cant just upgrade it with you paying enough to equal the full adult price is beyond me , cant believe the amount of tosspots on here slating you, in my book having a season ticket for the length of time you have had DOES count for something , you can bet your life the tosspots slating you are the ones who had really good ''reasons'' not to go to withdean and complain about lack of ''atmosphere' whilst demonstrating zero amount of the solidarity for fellow fans that lends itself to creating it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here