Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cancelled Season Tickets

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I may be wrong but I thought pre amex they.were non transferable

So therefore the current policy is more flexible than the old one. He does seem to want to have his cake and eat it though.

I don't always agree with the club when it comes to ticket policy and pricing, but on this issue they seem to be fair.

The OP also said that he has had a ST for himself and his two lads since moving to the Amex.

Given that the two boys are now 7, they must have been 2 when they first had a ST, which seems a bit young, but fair play to him if that's the case.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would assume the answer is either you don't need to, or you can but will not get any money back?

Well in theory my granddad, who sometimes comes with us when one of our ST holder group can't come, falls into the senior citizen category so would be entitled to a cheaper ticket. You'd assume the club wouldn't give such a downgrade but I read one person within the thread say that downgrades were possible? Or did they mean downgrading a whole ticket rather than a ST a for a one off match?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
'I was left with no choice'....... sorry..... is utter 'ollocks. crutch of story is that sadly your sons aren't interested. Be annoyed with them not the club!

I think you being a little bit hard on him as the kids might change there minds as the season progresses I fear we now lost a fan and how many of our games are being changed due to Sky and other parents are not able to take there children due to these changes. Also are the club being like this because other fans are abusing the system.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
The club changed the Ts &Cs on the sly to add the 6-upgrade limit after renewal for this season took place. If they had either told people beforehand, or allowed them to return their season ticket due to the change, the attitude for those caught by the change might be a bit different.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As others said we are one of the most flexible clubs to allow this. At Withdean you could never do this, same as a lot of other clubs in this league.

We allow 6 changes which is way above what most other clubs allow.

The Albion have a business to run and unfortunately are not a charity for someone who isn't really that interested in going.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Whilst its not made clear if the op has used 6 upgrades already after 13 home games then it suggests the ticket should be an adult one anyway

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I dont think it was done on the sly as such. I suspect there was a limit in place which wasnt enforced. A decision was made as the situation was being abused to a degree to enforce the limit

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have supported the Albion for 40 years and I have held at least two season tickets since 1984, with the only break being the Archer years at Gillingham. I have held a season ticket for myself and my twins boys since moving to the Amex; my boys are now aged 7. I had hoped, over the years for my children to attend more and more matches but alas they are not keen. I upgrade my sons tickets when they do not attend and bring guest, some of whom have since become Albion fans. However, this season the club have limited me to 7 upgrades per season and this is a problem as I cannot now use my sons tickets when they do not attend. I approached the club to reconsider this position. I tried to explain to my predicament and they refused to help.In the end I was left with no choice other than to cancel all the tickets and now have the club threatening to take me to court. A sorry tale and I now no longer attend matches and in light of my treatment as a point of principle I will never go again. This is another example of the club being a cumbersome corporate entity with no regard for their real fans and I know other feel like this, if you feel this way too I strongly recommend you let the club know.It is a shame as if we go up and the club find themselves at the wrong end of the table with dwindling crowds, I would have be one of he ones to stick with them; I wonder how many of the new Amex fans would do this?

The shame is that you are hitting out at the club you obviously still love. A bit like an acrimonious divorce. Even has a fight over the kids! There were always going to be some losers under the change in policy, but there's always some who spoil it for others and most would suggest the club is being reasonable over upgrades to stop the abuse which costs the club money and actually affects spending ability which affects all the law abiding fans. Problem is that you appear to want to take the kids to the Albion more than they are able to at this young age, so you want to preserve the season tickets for them until they can, at a affordable price for now. I think you need to draw breath, realise that you have provoked the club in to the threat of legal action, then reconsider your options. It's not an easy one, but like it or not, you are in the wrong. Suck it up and accept the change, then work which option suits you best. It may be more expensive or less palatable or convenient, but the club will rightly take you to court if you don't pay the balnce on your season ticket loan and every other fan would expect them to do so.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The club changed the Ts &Cs on the sly to add the 6-upgrade limit after renewal for this season took place. If they had either told people beforehand, or allowed them to return their season ticket due to the change, the attitude for those caught by the change might be a bit different.

Eh? The club have simply closed a loop hole that was being exploited, people were happy abusing the situation but now have the hump as they can no longer reserve themselves a seat on the cheap, that's the issue, isn't it?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Eh? The club have simply closed a loop hole that was being exploited, people were happy abusing the situation but now have the hump as they can no longer reserve themselves a seat on the cheap, that's the issue, isn't it?

And what about the genuine situation of people with children who can't attend evening matches?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
And what about the genuine situation of people with children who can't attend evening matches?

You never used to be able to upgrade. 6 remains generous. The majority of clubs continue to issue non transferable tickets. The others that allow transfers allow less. Maybe rather than be generous the club should just revert to non transferable tickets

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems a shame that it's come to this. Was the ticket (upgrade) policy changed mid season then?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

What's your argument here? Do you expect the club to sell child's tickets exclusively for afternoon kick offs, and simply waiver the evening tickets? The club sells season tickets, if you can't attend all of those games it's not the clubs fault, surely?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
You never used to be able to upgrade.

Yes, you did. I have held children's season tickets since the AmEx opened, the Ts & Cs stated that you could upgrade, and the club let you do so.

6 remains generous. The majority of clubs continue to issue non transferable tickets. The others that allow transfers allow less. Maybe rather than be generous the club should just revert to non transferable tickets

None of this is in any way relevant.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, you did. I have held children's season tickets since the AmEx opened, the Ts & Cs stated that you could upgrade, and the club let you do so.

Ah, so you enjoyed exploiting the loop hole but now you've got the hump because they tightened it up. Very little sympathy to be honest.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
There must have been a few instances where the flexible approach was being abused by some, it is a shame that even after the club try and help that someone wants to save a tenner here and there.
Would people be happy if the number of permitted upgrades directly correlated to the number of evening games?
I fear not.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I was talking pre amex as ive expressed previously in this thread and as you probably knew very well

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In this instance the 'lickers' are right though. I can only attend evening games so maybe I should buy a kids season ticket and just upgrade it for the evening games - it would save a fortune.
His kids lost interest which is fair enough he didn't go out of his way to defraud the club he was still parting with the best part of a grand a season. I just don't get the mentality of the club on this occasion to lose a valued ' customer ' this season and just agree to rectify the issue for the forthcoming season.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
What's your argument here? Do you expect the club to sell child's tickets exclusively for afternoon kick offs, and simply waiver the evening tickets? The club sells season tickets, if you can't attend all of those games it's not the clubs fault, surely?

My argument is that for those who genuinely have child season tickets, and children who cannot make evening games, either the club is happy to allow someone to come in their place for matches the children cannot make or they are not. Given that they have decided to allow genuine upgrades, limiting them to an arbitrary number of occurrences makes no sense.

Dealing with those who buy a child season ticket as a seat reservation system is a different issue, and one that could be dealt with in a different fashion (for example you gain an upgrade credit every time a child actually attends; if a child does not attend matches then you aren't allowed to upgrade).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here