Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancelled Flights/Holiday Refunds

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I have a holiday to Barbados booked with Virgin in Sept, they want the balance paid next month,
Question is if I pay it will I get cash back or a voucher ? Also if I don’t pay due to the situation will I lose my deposit???

Have emailed and called virgin holidays and guess what ..... no replies

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have a holiday to Barbados booked with Virgin in Sept, they want the balance paid next month,
Question is if I pay it will I get cash back or a voucher ? Also if I don’t pay due to the situation will I lose my deposit???

Have emailed and called virgin holidays and guess what ..... no replies

Pay it - on credit card

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Pay it - on credit card

Just a note of caution with this - Section 75 only affords cover if paid directly to the Supplier of the services. If you are paying an Agent or Online Travel Agent, the link in the chain is broken and Section 75 may not apply. Agents have received the claims and are either referring back to the Merchant (see below) or they are passing them directly to the end Supplier who predominantly are dealing with them in the same way.

This is also a "grey area" at the moment as some Merchant Providers are either saying it was Government intervention and are delaying pending further advice and/or referring back to the Holiday Provider as a Credit Note or delayed Refund is acceptable in these circumstances. It's not a 100% cast iron way of getting your money back in this situation......

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Just a note of caution with this - Section 75 only affords cover if paid directly to the Supplier of the services. If you are paying an Agent or Online Travel Agent, the link in the chain is broken and Section 75 may not apply. Agents have received the claims and are either referring back to the Merchant (see below) or they are passing them directly to the end Supplier who predominantly are dealing with them in the same way.

This is also a "grey area" at the moment as some Merchant Providers are either saying it was Government intervention and are delaying pending further advice and/or referring back to the Holiday Provider as a Credit Note or delayed Refund is acceptable in these circumstances. It's not a 100% cast iron way of getting your money back in this situation......

It would be paying Virgin direct

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We got our refund from TUI a couple of days ago - after 6 weeks waiting from refund confirmation on the 18th March, just happy to have the money back!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Still waiting on ours did you receive phone call ,text ,email ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a ‘refund confirmation’ email on 18th March after I spoke to them we were due to fly to Mexico on 7th April, didn’t hear anything until last Thursday when I received another confirmation email with a breakdown of the refund.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Was due to go to Istanbul (flight and Hotel ) with BA the trip was the first week of April
BA first offered a voucher but then paid back all money within 5 days

You got a refund without calling them?

My understanding is I can get a voucher/change flight online but if I want a refund I need to call.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Received an email from BA this morning advising outgoing flight for 6 from Gatwick on 25th June has been cancelled. Lines busy this morning, so phoned them this afternoon. Spoke to an adviser after about 15/16 minutes on hold queuing. Adviser took the details and confirmed full refunds including priority seating charges, back to my credit card and email confirmations arrived within minutes. Total call time 21 minutes. Very happy with the outcome and well done BA. No attempt to change my mind by the adviser.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You got a refund without calling them?

My understanding is I can get a voucher/change flight online but if I want a refund I need to call.

Under EU261, for flights cancelled by them, airlines automatically pay refunds to your original bank card promptly. It's the law.

That was until the backlog now being used by Ryanair as an excuse.
[MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] - was your flight and hotel cancelled earlier in the crisis?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Under EU261, for flights cancelled by them, airlines automatically pay refunds to your original bank card promptly. It's the law.

[MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] - was your flight and hotel cancelled earlier in the crisis?

We were due to go April 1st as soon as The Foreign office advised against all travel to Turkey BA cancelled and refunded the money

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We were due to go April 1st as soon as The Foreign office advised against all travel to Turkey BA cancelled and refunded the money

Good to see you that you chose BA.

Others, such as Ryanair have laid it on thick that they’ll take many months to process the backlog, whilst others such as Tui seem to have gone down the non-communicating route.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Ah, I had back to back flights cancelled and confirmed as cancelled yesterday so I’ll wait and see if they refund rather than start calling then.

Took the vouchers for a small Düsseldorf flight a month ago but these are pricier so want the cash.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Tell that to Emirates (me) and Etihad (my niece).

Both Airlines have refused refunds for our Australia trip that never happened, so both are about to be sued and will be 'told' that way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here