Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you use an e-cig or Vapour thingy in the AMEX?

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Telling people off for E-Cigs is even more of a joke whilst at the same time they are trying to pump people full of alcohol.

It's not a health issue.

I can see the issue the club have. From a distance you cannot tell if a fan is smoking or vaping so if there are 100 fans in a stand doing it they don't want to have to constantly check each one to make sure they are vaping and not smoking.

Is correct.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Liquid nicotine is extremely harmful to the human body.

I can't believe how many fools are willingly ingesting it.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Is correct.

Is total bollocks. Smoking STINKS for one thing and second hand smoke is irritating. Vaping is water vapour, is totally odourless and doesn't irritate anyone other than utter idiots who see it as their business what other people do.

Nobody in their right mind would confuse the two. As has been pointed out...if someone dared light a fag inside the stadium they would be told pdq to stop by everyone near them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Perhaps it be better to inject it.....? it would kill instantly..worse than any of the serious drugs were it to be injected

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Is total bollocks. Smoking STINKS for one thing and second hand smoke is irritating. Vaping is water vapour, is totally odourless and doesn't irritate anyone other than utter idiots who see it as their business what other people do.

Nobody in their right mind would confuse the two. As has been pointed out...if someone dared light a fag inside the stadium they would be told pdq to stop by everyone near them.

Call me an idiot but I don't want to ingest the 7000 chemicals contained in an e-cig cartridge because some selfish prat next to me doesn't have the willpower to last 2 hours without their pacifier.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Iv'e been a Serious Vapist for about 16 months. I had a young steward come over and tell me to stop vaping, i asked why, he said it was not allowed, i asked why, he said it was a fire risk. I stated it was vapour and not a fire risk and as i am working with fire alarms that i could assure him that having vaped right next to smoke detectors and Vesda systems, that there was no risk. He mumbled there was a risk.
I had my post match pint in my hand and said i would move to the exit, he followed me and at the exit informed me that i could not take my beer outside.
I stood at the exit with my beer in one hand and electronic cig in other.....leaned into the ground to have a slurp....and outside the ground to have a vape. The other stewards grinned, but the young steward was not amused.:D

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I can see the issue the club have. From a distance you cannot tell if a fan is smoking or vaping so if there are 100 fans in a stand doing it they don't want to have to constantly check each one to make sure they are vaping and not smoking.

I can see your point with the E cigs that look like a real ciggy, but most use the type that have a battery of assorted colours, with a cartomiser attached...you'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to spot the difference.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Can someone invent an e-cider, please? On the premise that I can use it while (standing) in my seat, of course. :cheers:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

The problem was there were loads of complaints of people lighting up and when stewards would question them they would produce a E-cig so to stop all arguments E-cig were banned.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials

Can you back up your claims?

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014

On average 10 people or so are caught smoking in the North Stand each match.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And if people decide to stay in their seats then the club needs to have stewards there when what they are really doing is getting you out of the arena onto the concourses. I presume the club move the stewards around so they can then control the exodus of coaches and buses or monitor the concourses. If they have to have a number of stewards still manning their stations within the arena because a few people in each area wish to remain seated for half an hour after the match then that will have knock on effect on costs.

No, I was listening to the radio for the game analysis on the seat that I paid for so I could enjoy the full match experience which was cut short by some jobsworth on a power trip. The club does a lot of work promoting the Amex experience to get you in there with constant emails and pushing merchandise but when the game is over you are treated as a mug punter. PR starts at ground level and they fail in this regard because I won't be using any other service they advertise because of it.

I certainly won’t be making the restaurant or Dicks Bar a destination during the week, or use the venue for special occasions like a Christmas meal, just so they can have their arses tickled.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The stewards in there are really anal. At the end of the Derby game I was going to chill out in the stadium in my seat and wait a while for the Bridge car park to clear, and I was told to leave. I questioned the steward about it to the point of just holding back from having a row with him, but called him a ****** with gritted teeth as I left.

After spending good money there I completely felt a disconnect with the club with these jobsworths herding fans out of the stadium to be honest. Once the game is over you are not even considered a customer let alone a fan.

Telling people off for E-Cigs is even more of a joke whilst at the same time they are trying to pump people full of alcohol.

At the end of the day rules are rules, are they not? All the stewards are doing is trying to uphold them.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
On average 10 people or so are caught smoking in the North Stand each match.

Yes. I'm sure they are. What I'm saying is that they are probably grassed up or pointed out to you by other fans..smoking honks and is anti social. Vaping is inoffensive.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At the end of the day rules are rules, are they not? All the stewards are doing is trying to uphold them.

I have not read anywhere that your seat has to be immediately vacated on the refs final whistle. I don't feel that remaining in your seat listening to a post match discussion on the radio and waiting for the car park to disperse is unacceptable.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, I was listening to the radio for the game analysis on the seat that I paid for so I could enjoy the full match experience which was cut short by some jobsworth on a power trip. The club does a lot of work promoting the Amex experience to get you in there with constant emails and pushing merchandise but when the game is over you are treated as a mug punter. PR starts at ground level and they fail in this regard because I won't be using any other service they advertise because of it.

I certainly won’t be making the restaurant or Dicks Bar a destination during the week, or use the venue for special occasions like a Christmas meal, just so they can have their arses tickled.

As was pointed out earlier, clearing the seats means the stewards can then be used elsewhere, minimising the numbers of stewards and associated costs. One of Barber's main jobs was to minimise the massive overspend that had occurred since moving to the Amex because it was impacting on our squad budget with the impending FFP.

Maybe you should write to him about it, and explain why you think it would be beneficial to let fans stay in their seats for as long as they want after a game ? From all i have heard, he will respond very promptly .

I got pulled up by a steward for using mine, he simply said " because I've seen you I have to say something, If I don't see you it doesn't matter"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here