Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can you translate (or decode) this?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Browsing through old postcards on eBay, I came across this one. Sent from the Llyfnant Valley, Wales in April 1906, the recipient was Bessie Dunstone of Hurstpierpoint. She's my 1st cousin twice removed, and at the time was an unmarried schoolteacher, aged 25.

But what on earth does the message say? Has she got a secret lover? I'm guessing it's in Welsh, but it might just as well be one of Boris's encrypted (but definitely missing) WhatsApp messages! Or Donald's Covfefe.

s-l1600.jpg

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Using Google Lens it picks up the three words on the left as:

Ubior, Paar and aotim

Which translate from Welsh to English to

More
Couple
Let's Go

Not having any luck with the words on the right. No idea if the above is actually correct given the handwriting but it's intriguing and fits with your context!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Ubior, Paar and aotim

More
Couple
Let's Go

Not having any luck with the words on the right. No idea if the above is actually correct given the handwriting but it's intriguing and fits with your context!
That's further than I got with Google translate, but I'm reading different letters to you!

Any Welsh speakers out there with nothing better to do?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Something to do with Perry Como.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ubior, Paar and aotim

More
Couple
Let's Go

Those aren't Welsh words. Welsh for more is mwy, couple is cwpl and I'm not sure about let's go, but it may involve mynd ( which is to go). Paar is, however, German for couple (or a few). The other two words aren't German though. I can't read the writing, so can't offer any suggestions

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Those aren't Welsh words. Welsh for more is mwy, couple is cwpl and I'm not sure about let's go, but it may involve mynd ( which is to go). Paar is, however, German for couple (or a few). The other two words aren't German though. I can't read the writing, so can't offer any suggestions
Yep, apologies, turns out google translate will automatically look for any language to translate from if it doesn't find any matches for the selected option.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Post it on r/decipher HERE or/and r/handwriting HERE on Reddit.
Not come across that before, will give it a go. May wait until everyone is sober again after Christmas!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Maybe bit by bit we can do it!
übisr is German for generic but I don’t have time for any more😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I collect local postcards, and am giving a talk next Spring about the messages on them. But this one has me stumped.

1703447062380.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here