Can you re-heat takeaway chicken ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought slapping it in the microwave irradiated all the bacteria.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I've always just popped Indian leftovers in the microwave and cooked them for about a minute so they are lukewarm. Yummy. Either I have a stomach of steel or re-heating food doesn't do anything untoward to you insides.

Did you eat the thing or not?!
Yes I'm a microwaving, curry lover.. Any leftovers from the night before is microwaved to a good heat, rice, chicken, all of it!

Never had any illness from microwaving leftovers :wink:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I like to get a bucket of chicken every couple of months. Reheat some in the oven the next day and make cold KFC and mayo sandwiches the day after.
If its ok cold it will be ok reheated.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Did you eat the thing or not?!

It would appear that the chicken must have got the better of him. RIP Hopkins.

Hope those that said re-heat feel guilty now (and are praying he choked on a bone so they are not sued by those he has left behind)!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
How the f*** do you make fried rice if you shouldn't re heat rice then??

Cooked boiled rice needs to be chilled overnight in the fridge and then thrown in the wok with other ingredients so I'm confused now???

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I always eat a take away left overs the following day. Never had a problem. Be a devil and just do it

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
NHS advice on reheating rice...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

Yes. You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. However, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.
How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.
If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.
The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.
Tips on serving rice safely

• Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
  • If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour).
  • Keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.
  • When you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
  • Do not reheat rice more than once.

But they have to say all this nonsense to cover their own arses when some PRATT who's organs don't work gets food poisoning.

REAL men like myself and others on this thread can easily reheat a curry that's been left in a warm room all night and eat it for breakfast. I laugh at Bacillus cereus, it'll take more than that to bring me down.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I often cook pasta sauces or curries with meat and keep it in the fridge for several days before reheating it in the microwave to eat. Never had a problem. I'd only chuck it if it had obviously gone off while in the fridge.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
It's fine to a nuke it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some years ago I worked for chap whose wife came from Hong Kong and she used to make and cook a curry on Monday then leave it to chill and marinate in the fridge until Wednesday. When she took it out and reheated it for dinner and she swore that was the way to get the best flavour in a curry. Her curries were absolutely brilliant,

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
There are some serious food whimps on here eh!!! FFS if you go through life listening to everything that is told to you about food etc, you will be scared to make a cup of tea!!

Mr Tetley once informed me that drinking coffee will be bad for me!!! I don't know what he does for a living but I so appreciate his advice.....................

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I remember getting campylobacter from reheating rice once that was nasty five days and five nights of...i wont go on just in case someones eating

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
As long as the chicken hasn't been cool for a long period of time, then go for it. Just make sure it's piping hot!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports