Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you actually read words on a screen?

What do you sing?

• You may tell them all that we Stand or fall.....

Votes: 62 66.7%
  • Going up to win the cup......

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • I do not sing at all

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the east it does not sound like the north sing. There's always threads saying 'it was amazing in the north today' just as there are threads with 'the north was dead quiet today'. From the east, I can often only hear a murmur from the north, rarely more than a couple of hundred fans seem to sing. Why do people keep banging on about the east and the west being quiet when our main singing stand is so useless?

SIX times as many fans in the West as in the North. What are we supposed to do, sing a song for you? ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have been a fan for over 30 years and still a season ticket holder despite living abroad. My point was that the chorus of SBTS sounds an utter mess at the moment even when the words are on the screen for the teams coming out.

Personal opinion is that although the 'win the cup' version is to be sing during games, the stand or fall version should be sung at the start of the match in unison. Just my view, feel free to differ.

Thing is fans like you who "LOL" at the words on the screen doesn't help matters. We have too many cliques at the Amex at the moment and until everybody just relaxes and stops moaning about every other group of fans/stand we will never get the atmosphere going properly. I agree the S&F version should be sung when the players come out but too many fans won't change from the boring "ner ner ner ner goinguptowinthecup" version because "that's what I have always done".

We have one of the very few unique walk out songs and its a shame our fans won't do it the justice it deserves. Going to away matches its far more cringeworthy hearing some of the tunes (thinking Reading and Forest for starters) than us having a few words on the screens.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have too many cliques at the Amex at the moment and until everybody just relaxes and stops moaning about every other group of fans/stand we will never get the atmosphere going properly. .

Too many cliques? Where? Moaning? Where? I would say that is artificially made up by the amount of whining that goes on here and doesn't really represent match day at the Amex. I don't even see 10% of the absolute tosh that can emanate from here rearing its ugly head at the stadium.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Our little group are 'Stand or Fall' whereas most around are up for the Cup or whatever.

Pity we can't, as a crowd, agree on the words to our club song.

That said, anything must sound better than out of time clapping and derdderderderderderderder.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Nearly 2 out of 3 are claiming to sing 'STAND OR FALL'... perhaps if we made a CONCERTED EFFORT to BELT that phrase out at FULL VOLUME... it would help resolve the issue?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
SIX times as many fans in the West as in the North. What are we supposed to do, sing a song for you? ???
I'm not really sure of the point you're making. People will sing if they wish to and if they don't, they won't. It is often mentioned that the east is quiet, yet it's loads noisier than the old chicken run and the same can be said for the west. It's a bit rich that some posters continually have a dig at those two stands when the north appears, mostly, to be so quiet. For someone to comment that the east NEVER sings is complete rubbish. I suspect that the times the east sings are when most of the rest of the ground is singing. That's why no-one else notices from other areas. Unfortunately, the singing mojo of the amex largely went AWOL when the palace bus driver shat on the changing room floor.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's about context. The lyrics do not specify laying your life on the line or dying. In the context of a marching army, heading off to war, absolutely that can be read into it. In the context of a football match, it is about giving your all, win (stand) or lose (fall), doing sussex proud in the effort.

And that makes more sense than "going up to/and (we'll) win the cup" while competing in a league competition..

Each to their own and I'm genuinely not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't sing but I find your concept of context quite bizarre. You're happy to make the mental leap of taking an old war song and interpret the words into the context of a football match but you can't make sense of football fans singing about their team winning a cup if they aren't actually playing in a cup match that day. Maybe it's just me but I think the latter is less of a mental leap than the former.

As I say, I'm not trying to have a pop so I'll leave it here :thumbsup:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Good debate, though a little unfair on people in the East stand. Around me in the upper tier are at least THREE other people who most definitely sing the proper words, with great gusto. THREE!

Most of the rest sort of clap along, but are completely unable to manage this extraordinarily difficult feat, despite the blaringly loud music. By the 10th bar they manage to get themselves hilariously out of synch - as if their actions are being choreographed by some invisible and tone-deaf East stand clapmeister.

As for the perpetual derision of other stands' singing performance, why not just accept that in a football stadium you'll only ever hear the noise from your immediate surroundings, producing a false perception of everything else?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sing what you want but dear god, please stop clapping along. That sounds really shit.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What's so funny is that - and I could well be wrong - I don't think too many people used to sing or clap along with SBTS at the Goldstone - it would have seemed a bit weird.

As I recall, people generally applauded as the team came out to it, but just with proper, normal clapping, not all this synchronized, orchestrated mullarky. Anyway, I'll get back in my bath chair.

The pitch of the music is too low for the chorus to sound ROUSING... it tends towards the MUMBLE/INAUDIBLE.... which is a real pity.

I did suggest to tb that it needed tinkering with prior to the amex opening but he didn't get it,along with when the corners got filled in the n/w should be a u21 section! You do your best but if people don't listen we end up with fans zone and RR:ffsparr:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Used to sing "Going Up" now changed to "Stand or Fall".

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
In which case sir, I would suggest that you are personally responsible for our recent run of shite results. :angry:

made the change when the Stand or Fall banner went up.........:kiss:

I always sang 'going up...', but never really liked it. If feels a bit silly when we're mid relegation battle. Stand or fall means something, it's a lot better IMO.
"Going up" means travelling on the train in the general direction of Wembley Stadium, does it not? The idea that we'll get promotion AND win the cup is simply preposterous.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex By The Sea.
Old enough to remember when Mr Bamber, after a trip to the states, tried to change it to the Rocky theme.
Goldstone didn't have a big screen so we sang what we wanted.
It's the cup version from me, always was and always will be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"Going up" means travelling on the train in the general direction of Wembley Stadium, does it not? The idea that we'll get promotion AND win the cup is simply preposterous.
I wasn't suggesting it meant getting promotion, I was simply posting 2 words to show which version I was saying I sang.

Going up to Wembley to win the FA cup sounds likely, and singing it doesn't make sense to me given that we're never going up there and never have gone and won it. Singing stand or fall isn't saying we will go to war, but it's more in honour of those that did, and perhaps saying we too represent Sussex, albeit in peacetime.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've sung Stand or Fall this season, but never used to.

The bloke next to me always sung Going Up to Win the Cup, but I noticed he changed to Stand or Fall at the last game.

I think, in time, most will switch to Stand or Fall when the teams come out, but the cup version during games.

I tend not to bother during games as I can't keep up with the speed it's sung at nowadays.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I've never run down the Shoreham Road, I don't fight because of Boxing Day, I don't want our team to get into them and try to make love to the opposition, my father hasn't got a gun nor did I ask my mum when I was little whether I should support Palace and I most certainly don't think we're the greatest team the world has ever seen but I still sing all those songs.

Actually....thinking about it, Brighton have more chance of lifting a cup than you have of risking your life for the county of Sussex so I reckon if realism is your key factor then 'Going Up...' is the one to choose.
I've risked MY life for the county of Sussex, ok then, the country that Sussex is in.
It's ALWAYS 'stand or fall' for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here