[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Don’t get me wrong I completely agree with you and I think what he has done is completely wrong.

I am just mindful that we don’t really know what’s gone on or been said/done and that this is the second player RDZ has managed to fall out with and he’s not even been here a full season. I think it’s fine to call out his actions, they are totally wrong, but some of the comments around him might end up not being accurate.
Yes, I think De Zerbi is the mother of all 'my way or the highway' guys. I would suspect a bit more over the years (if we have him that long).

Jul 7, 2003
Many on here will have taken time off work and spent a lot of money on tickets, travel and probably accommodation to sit miles up in the stand to watch the game at Newcastle tonight. Sanchez would have been paid to fly up, stay in a nice hotel, do a bit of light exercise, warm up and then have a prime seat to watch the game.

Ultimately, he is a Professional footballer. It's his job.

I'm sure most of us in our jobs get asked to do things we don't like doing but that is life and his is not a bad one.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely he is in breach of contract if he is refusing to make himself available to play?

If Steele gets injured, we will have to play our final crucial games with a rookie goalkeeper and that could seriously cost us.

Good riddance

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i also can understand someone being frustrated in his position but if Steele had picked up an injury in the first half at Arsenal i firmly believe that Sanchez should have been on the bench and ready to step up not spitting out his dummy at home or wherever he was, he is being paid a lot of money to either play OR to be available to play if requested.
This is crucial as far as I am concerned, if we were to have an injury to Steele and rely on someone else, and it ultimately costs us points, then it is kind of unforgivable, he would clearly have no concern about the team, and we are a team.
We may never know the full facts, but if it is an attitude problem, then that is really sad after he has been with us for so long, we have helped him develop into a fine athlete and a bloody good goalkeeper. He has the ability to win his place back and make it his for a very long time, maybe he does not want to.
I love my club and reserve the right to feel offended when players are acting disrespectfully to those who pay them good money and those that travel around the country supporting them. We will probably never know the whole story behind this but from what RDZ has said it does appear to be his decision and i for one will be pleased to see him go. We need to have the team all pulling in the same direction, especially now.
For these reasons i am not sorry for him at all but i am not at all in any kind of "burn him" camp just annoyed at him causing disruption in the team.
This, I could never hate Big Bob, just disappointed really.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sanchez is an excellent keeper in my view, but RDZ has been clear about why he now favours Steele. De Zerbi can only pick one keeper. No matter how harshly Sanchez thinks he has been treated, our very stretched squad is still in the midst of battling for a historic finish, including facing off the top 3 teams in the league in quick succession.

I understand his disappointment but his teammates are still working their nuts off to get us into the Europa League, he is showing no solidarity with his colleagues by adopting this stance. I find it pretty disrespectful to be honest. If he wants off and first choice football in the summer, I respect that and he can sort that once the season is over then fair enough, I wish him well. That said, putting his ego ahead of the team ethic at the business end of the season, is to say the least, a very bad look indeed, and one that reflects very badly on him.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset

Head coach De Zerbi said:
“Robert is a top guy. He is a good guy and I have a very good relationship with him.
“I can understand him. He has to understand me and he has to understand his coach.
But sincerely there isn’t a problem."

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes, I think De Zerbi is the mother of all 'my way or the highway' guys. I would suspect a bit more over the years (if we have him that long).
I was thinking this. Trossard threw his weight around and was shown an adjacent door with all haste. Sanchez seemingly heading down the same route.

With this in mind, it's interesting to note that Caicedo has seemingly put the January brouhaha completely behind him. While I expect him to move on in the summer, the fact that he has presumably retained good relations with RDZ gives me faint hope we might have another season with him yet.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I was thinking this. Trossard threw his weight around and was shown an adjacent door with all haste. Sanchez seemingly heading down the same route.

With this in mind, it's interesting to note that Caicedo has seemingly put the January brouhaha completely behind him. While I expect him to move on in the summer, the fact that he has presumably retained good relations with RDZ gives me faint hope we might have another season with him yet.
Yes you have to take the rough with the smooth. Most of the players seem like they'd die for him. And he's improved pretty much every single player whilst being totally open minded about starting different players who perform.

Mitoma becoming a first teamer, Steele coming in, the phasing in of Ferguson and Enciso and Buonanotte. The ridiculous improvements in Solly and even Dunk a bit. Immediately giving Ayari some time, phasing Gilmour in and and praising him for waiting his turn, squeezing whatever the best is out of a technically limited Undav. The way he talks about players that are in the fold and praises them. I don't think ive heard a single press conference where he hasn't talked about it being an 'honour and a priviledge' to work with these players. I guess what he asks in return is less 'me' and more 'us'.

The flipside to that appears to be that if he thinks you're being a tit, he unguardedly just outrightly says that too.

Perhaps he needs a bit more emotional intelligence? Yet, as we have seen, it's entirely possible to emotionally intelligence yourself straight to the Job Centre.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

“Robert is a top guy. He is a good guy and I have a very good relationship with him.
“I can understand him. He has to understand me and he has to understand his coach.

He is so good at saying the right things, I love him :smile:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Ha. Didn't he do the same thing with Trossard? The gaslighting bugger.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think this is PR guff. Privately, RDZ will be seething.

1. There is no still no mention of any extenuating circumstances about Sanchez's decision to make himself unavailable for our last two matches. The club is not stupid and will know their statements will be interpreted as the bloke has gone on strike.
2. Sanchez is a saleable asset and that sale price diminishes if the perception is there's been a bust-up and he wants a swift exit out of the club.
3. RDZ knows he needs experienced cover if Steele gets injured.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The worst thing about this is that it's a massive f*** you to his teammates as they prepare for the biggest games in the club's history and is particularly disrespectful to Steele who has done exactly what Sanchez has been asked to do for a few games, for the last 5 years (including seeing 3rd choice Sanchez leapfrog him into 1st choice) and has now got his just reward for those years of hard work.

Now obviously no one knows what has happened, but you easily see how from a distance, it could appear that a petulant spoilt kid fails to learn anything from being alongside hard working intelligent professional in 5 years and, in his pique of frustration, puts himself above the whole club :dunce:

I did start to wonder about his character and our no dick heads policy the moment he bought that monstrosity of a car :wink:

And, to wrap it up
What sort of advice do these guys get? It beggars belief. Probably worse than any of the previous situations like Cucurella & Trossard. Surely an agent should say to him “do your job, it’s just a couple more weeks and we’ll get you a move in the summer”. Instead, he tarnishes his own reputation and looks an absolute bellend.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sanchez was included in the top three keepers in Spain's 2022 World Cup squad no? Spanish club would appear to be most likely next move. Seems to be an over-crowded market for EPL flakey Spanish keepers 😀

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
RDZ said before that dropping Rob had given him sleepless nights as he was a player he really connected with. The whole thing is quite odd. But refusing to make yourself available to play is unforgivable. Perhaps he's worried he might get injured and that will scupper his big move? Or perhaps he thought he'd played so well in the FA Cup semi he had earnt his place back in the first team.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The worst thing about this is that it's a massive f*** you to his teammates as they prepare for the biggest games in the club's history and is particularly disrespectful to Steele who has done exactly what Sanchez has been asked to do for a few games, for the last 5 years (including seeing 3rd choice Sanchez leapfrog him into 1st choice) and has now got his just reward for those years of hard work....
I think this is the most distasteful thing about it. Steele is obviously a very important and popular member of the group. He's been totally professional throughout. And now when the tables are reversed Bob just gives up. No training hard, no supporting and encouraging Steele, no warming up at games, no support from the sidelines and in the changing room, just a big kick in Steele's teeth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports