[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I feel a bit sorry for Sanchez tbh. I know this is going massively against the grain but I felt that when he dropped him initially for Steele, RDZ made a bit too much of Steele being his best choice and the most competent playing out etc. it may have been said to boost Steele but it seemed largely at the expense of Sanchez and publicly slating a keeper who hadn’t really done much wrong was harsh.

Sanchez comes in against Man U in the semi-final and plays well, gets dropped back to the bench. He watches Steele drop the kind of performance he did at Everton and yet still doesn’t get back in? At that point he must be seeing that there is no pathway back to the first team for him.

Players on the bench need to see that there is a pathway into the first team for them or they become disheartened and usually leave. I think this is what’s happened here, Sanchez can’t get back in either by playing well or by Steele playing badly. I don’t think he’s gone about it the right way by throwing a strop, I can understand his being frustrated though.
Now i am seeing from your words that you are clearly a very empathetic person and your first point i can absolutely see where you are coming from. However maybe if he had been minded to he could have spoken to the manager and coaches about how he could improve his game so he could work his way back into the team on merit. Saying he could not see a way back seems to me to be more the mindset of a person who either thinks he is better than everyone else or just cannot be arsed. On your last point i also can understand someone being frustrated in his position but if Steele had picked up an injury in the first half at Arsenal i firmly believe that Sanchez should have been on the bench and ready to step up not spitting out his dummy at home or wherever he was, he is being paid a lot of money to either play OR to be available to play if requested.
I love my club and reserve the right to feel offended when players are acting disrespectfully to those who pay them good money and those that travel around the country supporting them. We will probably never know the whole story behind this but from what RDZ has said it does appear to be his decision and i for one will be pleased to see him go. We need to have the team all pulling in the same direction, especially now.
For these reasons i am not sorry for him at all but i am not at all in any kind of "burn him" camp just annoyed at him causing disruption in the team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now i am seeing from your words that you are clearly a very empathetic person and your first point i can absolutely see where you are coming from. However maybe if he had been minded to he could have spoken to the manager and coaches about how he could improve his game so he could work his way back into the team on merit.
How do you know he didn't? Perhaps he did, and was told he was not part of RDZ's future plans.

No, I don't know either - neither of us know, do we? I do know I'll be sad to see him go, and wouldn't be surprised if someday he comes back to bite us!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What sort of advice do these guys get? It beggars belief. Probably worse than any of the previous situations like Cucurella & Trossard. Surely an agent should say to him “do your job, it’s just a couple more weeks and we’ll get you a move in the summer”. Instead, he tarnishes his own reputation and looks an absolute bellend.
Interesting point about advice. I thought Trossard and Caicedo’s agents were absolute idiots with the way they both behaved. But the former got the move he wanted and the latter a new and long and lucrative deal. It’s not how I’d behave but it gets results.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting point about advice. I thought Trossard and Caicedo’s agents were absolute idiots with the way they both behaved. But the former got the move he wanted and the latter a new and long and lucrative deal. It’s not how I’d behave but it gets results.
I’m not convinced either needed to behave like that to get those outcomes though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that deal would have been available to Caicedo, he just didn’t want to sign it because he wanted to move. His behaviour didn’t get him anything that wasn’t already there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not even that he can't play with his feet. It's rather that he slipped that ball through his hands. How many points did it cost us? Not even in the fourth division do you see a goalkeeper make a mistake like that. For RDZ mentality h'is definitely out.
Every goalkeeper makes mistakes. Look at De Gea's record!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Everything he has achieved is because of Brighton.. Earning all that money and whilst appreciating his disappointment it is deplorable that he cant do the decent thing and see the season out and then deal with his future. Of course in background his agent will be looking for a club but no justification in saying dont want to be part of squad for last few games.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Firstly- you have a right to express a POV as I do so respect your right to hold a different view to mine - but that’s all it is - POVs based on rumours, hearsay and obscure remarks from the manager - none of us are in complete possession of the facts.

Secondly - yes, Sanchez is not only a professional footballer but a talented, international player that still has potential to improve and needs to play football - that’s why it’s a very difficult situation - for all concerned - especially for RDZ who has to try and keep top players happy when every single one of them wants to play every week.

Thirdly - what ‘tools’ ? - Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season doing nothing? Sanchez for all intents and purposes has been replaced by Steele (all respect to Steele) - he has not dropped any tools - he hasn’t been using any, that’s the point.

Finally, you don’t know why Sanchez has requested not to be named in the squad for Newcastle - none of us do - but you can’t blame a player who wants to take time out from a squad that clearly has no room for him at the present time and question whether he wants to stay with the club or not.

All these posts suggesting we’ll get next to nothing when he goes is nonsense as it people saying Sanchez has to adapt his natural style of play to suit the coach or fcuk off as if that’s an ultimatum up to us to impose- he doesn’t have to do that, he can find a club that suits his style better and probably will with great ease in the summer window, the same way we have a GK in Steele that suits De Zerbi’s style of football better until he too is replaced with a better one.
As you say everyone has a right to a POV but I don't agree with your point about Sanchez wanting to take time out. He is being paid and pretty well to do a job which at the moment is back up keeper. If Steele gets injured and our other keepers are not up to the task that could cost us European football. He has no right to be number 1 and he needs to grow up and realise that in life sometimes things don't always go your way.
I'm sure we will bring in someone in the summer and he can go. Good riddance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Couldn’t give a toss about Sanchez sulking. Lots of players do it, they’re human, young lads who have big ego’s (you have to have a big ego to even make it as a pro), of course they will make mistakes and do things they regret one day. No issue with that at all.

But what I do care about is the best outcome for Brighton and that is without doubt selling the player for £35m - £45m as speculated earlier on this thread. If that is true, then we should be doing everything in our power to make that deal happen! That is a truly outrageous figure for Sanchez and would be a fantastic outcome.

I think we have upgraded with Steele already to be honest who we didn’t pay anything for and if we could get another keeper this summer who’s even better, younger and in tune with how RDZ likes his keepers to play then that would be a tremendous result all round.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I feel a bit sorry for Sanchez tbh. I know this is going massively against the grain but I felt that when he dropped him initially for Steele, RDZ made a bit too much of Steele being his best choice and the most competent playing out etc. it may have been said to boost Steele but it seemed largely at the expense of Sanchez and publicly slating a keeper who hadn’t really done much wrong was harsh.

Sanchez comes in against Man U in the semi-final and plays well, gets dropped back to the bench. He watches Steele drop the kind of performance he did at Everton and yet still doesn’t get back in? At that point he must be seeing that there is no pathway back to the first team for him.

Players on the bench need to see that there is a pathway into the first team for them or they become disheartened and usually leave. I think this is what’s happened here, Sanchez can’t get back in either by playing well or by Steele playing badly. I don’t think he’s gone about it the right way by throwing a strop, I can understand his being frustrated though.
You can dislike the managers position. You can think he's full of crap, and you can hate not seeing a pathway to the first team but he simply has to be there for the team. He's made himself unavailable for selection for the remaining games. Including Newcastle, Man City and Arsenal. Hes also saying to his colleague Steele. There's no way I can be even near a squad that might think you are better than me.

If Steele gets an injury in a warm up in any of these - literally era defining - games. Then we play some of the best teams in Europe with a kid in goal when as a CLUB we are on course for a historic season. A club that has made Sanchez into a senior professional and supported him.

All because one bloke, for a short period of time, is a bit fed up.

I applaud your ability to try and be open minded enough to see things from his perspective but I don't think even after a pint of ayuasca (if you can get it in pints!?) I'd have enough of a 3rd eye to give him the time of day.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t buy that tbh - we are in the slightly unusual position (for a squad our size) of having two great PL seasoned GKs in the squad, so that’s a luxury not an entitlement - the situation was never going to be sustainable in terms of keeping them both happy indefinitely. GKs cant be rotated into different positions like the other members of the squad, nor do they sustain injuries or suffer fatigue at the same level as other players so unless they are rotated in to play, the options are very much more limited. In the unlikely event something happens to Steele, before the season’s out, Sanchez would step in to finish out the remaining matches, I have no reason at this stage to doubt that.

We are far more weakened by loosing March and Veltman (requiring Gross or Caceido to vacate their imo crucial MF roles to play at the back) than having a very low possibility of having to finish a game with a debut sub GK.

All I know, if I were the team leader or supervisor in my place of work and had been for over a year, was the employee of the month several times, then my boss suddenly decided that he would replace me with a junior staff member that previously I was the role model to, I be pi&&ed frankly. I’d be even more pi&&ed, if my boss then told me, you are not loosing your job because in stead of doing your job, we want you to stay as an assistant to your replacement, training him to be better, cheer him on and help him further his career. Really? If my replacement needs my training and support why are you giving him my job in the first place? Mega bucks wouldn’t make me put up with that humiliation and certainly not if my nose was being rubbed in it in front of a 30,000 other members of staff. I’d bum off work for a few days and get my shite together and start looking for another job.

Having said that, it should be stressed that we literally don’t know what’s going on exactly or why Sanchez and RDZ decided Sanchez not travelling but staying at home would be better - for all we know RDZ could be ‘saving‘ Sanchez for the Citeh game … just saying

(and for the record, we will come under heavy bombardment from Citeh forwards because they are the better team across the whole field - they have the ability to carve through our defences GK will be crucial in whether we take away any points - sorry but I trust Sanchez the Stopper more than Steele the Distributor for this match 🙁)
If Sanchez is refusing to be selected or travel, then we only have 1 PL seasoned keeper. Whether other outfield players are a bigger loss or not is irrelevant, if Steele is sent off or injured and Sanchez isn't there we are weakened.

This is actually the first time Sanchez has had to be a no.2, because he was no.3 when he lept ahead of Steele to become no.1. Steele had 9 first XI appearances in 4 seasons to get his chance this season. Sanchez, who still got the cup games and Chelsea away has missed 11 games, just 11 and thrown his toys out of the pram because a guy who got his head down and worked and worked and worked for 4 years has got a chance.

You don't need to apologise for trusting Sanchez over Steele - because that selection dilemma has now gone.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You can dislike the managers position. You can think he's full of crap, and you can hate not seeing a pathway to the first team but he simply has to be there for the team. He's made himself unavailable for selection for the remaining games. Including Newcastle, Man City and Arsenal. Hes also saying to his colleague Steele. There's no way I can be even near a squad that might think you are better than me.

If Steele gets an injury in a warm up in any of these - literally era defining - games. Then we play some of the best teams in Europe with a kid in goal when as a CLUB we are on course for a historic season. A club that has made Sanchez into a senior professional and supported him.

I applaud your ability to try and be open minded enough to see things from his perspective but I don't think even after a pint of ayuasca (if you can get it in pints!?) I'd have enough of a 3rd eye to give him the time of day.
I agree with this.

BHA gave him a chance in the Premier League when he'd never played above League 1.

If what seems the case is the case, he has let down RDZ, TB and the fans down very badly.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Very surprised at his behaviour, probably been tapped up and it's messed with his thinking,no doubt his agent is involved,I'm a bit miffed he's taken this stance and if true the club should immediately suspend him and stop paying his wages as he's in breach of contract,silly boy.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Don’t get me wrong I completely agree with you and I think what he has done is completely wrong.

I am just mindful that we don’t really know what’s gone on or been said/done and that this is the second player RDZ has managed to fall out with and he’s not even been here a full season. I think it’s fine to call out his actions, they are totally wrong, but some of the comments around him might end up not being accurate.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Bang on. Trust the club will have fined Sanchez accordingly since the Arsenal toys out of the pram but doesn't help us if Steele isn't fit between now and the close.

Very disappointed in Sanchez for such a selfish protest which has now turned public. Essentially a big f*** you to the club, fans, Rdz and Steele who has had to be incredibly patient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports