[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I loved GP, and he improved us greatly, but RDZ is a world away from it is what it is and these are quality opponents etc

As for Steele - very pleased for him. He must be buzzing tonight. His place to lose I think too
Sanchez's Wheel of Steel in next weeks boot room, can’t wait for the charisma

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
I wrote this in another thread about Steele, but putting it here as potentially interesting/conspiracy view - but could this be some clever trickery from De Zerbi, to have Sanchez in goal and with a point to prove for the FA cup?

Potentially sees the FA Cup as our best opportunity of Europe, so wants Sanchez in goal for these games.

Not only gets our best (?) keeper in for the next important cup games, but also gives him a kick up the backside at the same time, to earn his way back into the squad after the cup.

Inspired?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Might be the win talking but seemed like Steele at times was playing riskier passes than Sanchez but it actually felt more controlled.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Happy for Steele, and by all accounts he played well today, but I’m not ready to write Sanchez off yet. All keepers drop the odd clanger, and it’s the position where an error is most likely to lead to an opposition goal.

I do wonder about comments RDZ made a while ago, along the lines of “if Sanchez wants to improve as a player, he should listen to Ricard.”

I’ve no inside information, but we know that Sanchez had a really good relationship with Ben Roberts. I’m wondering if perhaps there’s been a perception that there’s some reluctance on Sanchez’s part to fully embrace a change of approach where his coaching is concerned.

If so, I hope he can focus and get back on track, as while Steele might well be the answer, we’re all having to make judgments on quite a small sample size atm, and it helps us to have two in-form keepers both ready for action.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Sanchez isn't done. Roberto is just giving him a bit of a kick up the bum to push himself to higher standards.

Quote from De Zerbi
“I’m sad for Robert [Sanchez] because with him I have one of the best relationships but my job is to coach and you have to be honest and clear. At this moment Jason is closer to my idea in terms of playing with the ball at his feet and build-up and deserves to play.

“But I think Robert can arrive at the same level. They have different characteristics, but Robert is a good guy who will want to improve in this aspect.

“I love the competition in my dressing room. The right competition can help players improve. I have two very good goalkeepers and I will see in the future who will be in the first XI.”

Just on Sanchez to now respond in the right way, and step up to get his place back in the first team squad.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Steele was excellent on Saturday but I think Matty Ryan has done for me with "smaller" goalkeepers, they make me nervous. I don't imagine Jason will be coming out to the centre spot and plucking corners from the air (but Sanchez gave up doing that as well).

I would stick with Steele unless he has a nightmare game for us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think people are confusing ability with ball at feet Vs decision making with ball at feet. Suspect that is what RDZ is getting at- he feels Steele makes better decisions with the ball.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fully expect Jason Steele to remain in goal for the rest of the season, Rob Sanchez to be sold in the summer and for a new keeper to be brought in from academy or elsewhere. Pretty sure Robert wants to keep his place in the Spanish national team squad and that isn't happening while on the Brighton bench.

Unless De Zerbi can guarantee that he'll be a starter next season, he'll look for a way out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Steele was excellent on Saturday but I think Matty Ryan has done for me with "smaller" goalkeepers, they make me nervous. I don't imagine Jason will be coming out to the centre spot and plucking corners from the air (but Sanchez gave up doing that as well).

I would stick with Steele unless he has a nightmare game for us.
Take your point, but frankly Sanchez is appalling on corners, especially if they are driven in and he has the opposition near him, so from that perspective height doesn’t come into it.

Sanchez does remain a great goalie though.

Perhaps he’ll go in the summer and the club regard Rushworth as the future.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Says 2 things for me:
1. Nobody's a permanent fixture in the starting 11
2. Anybody can break into the team if they put the effort in.
I think there has been an assumption that Sanchez was the 1st choice keeper and Steele only plays in the cup, which was bound to make Sanchez complacent

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
I think De Zerbi let Sanchez stay in goal after the palace mistake so as not to totally undermine him. Steele made 2 good saves Saturday. There were a couple of times his first touch with feet wasn’t great but that will come with time. I still think we’ll be looking for a more stable goalkeeper during the summer.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You can’t have your goalkeeper dropping crosses which lead to a goal , like the Crystal Palace goal ,
land not expect some type of reaction from the manager,
I also wondered about Fulham’s goal , the guy who scored was very wide when he shot ,
i think he can consider being dropped as a kick up the arse

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Personally I think Sanchez had become. complacent - he always gives an air of casualness which isn’t a good look when he’s off form. He’s a good goalie but could catch the ball more and improve his distribution. As said, hopefully a kick up the arse will improve his form and decision making. Pleased that Steele has had an opportunity to get some game time.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Unless De Zerbi can guarantee that he'll be a starter next season, he'll look for a way out.

2 years left on his contract too, so nearing the time we’ll look to renew his contract.

Also it’s well known Chelsea are looking for a new keeper…

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
2 years left on his contract too, so nearing the time we’ll look to renew his contract.

Bunch of teams in Spain would also want a new keeper. They don't have any money though but if it can be sorted somehow, it wouldnt surprise me. Leicester feels like another candidate. Not sure he is quite the level Chelsea will be looking for.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’ve never thought that Sanchez is good enough for a CL or similar club.

Won’t they be looking for someone as good as Courtois, Alisson or Ederson?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bunch of teams in Spain would also want a new keeper. They don't have any money though but if it can be sorted somehow, it wouldnt surprise me. Leicester feels like another candidate. Not sure he is quite the level Chelsea will be looking for.
Well, he's better than what they've got!
I’ve never thought that Sanchez is good enough for a CL or similar club.
Won’t they be looking for someone as good as Courtois, Alisson or Ederson?
I think some of Chelsea fans' little heads would explode with fatal consequences if Boehely was to buy anyone else from (clubs like) Brighton! Hmmm - in that case, it might improve the planet a bit!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unless Steele makes the decision impossible I see Sanchez back for Grimsby and then on from there.

As said above RDZ didn't completely undermine Sanchez for his (and only his) error.
But nevertheless has acted.
RDZ now has a reason to keep him from palace again.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I wrote this in another thread about Steele, but putting it here as potentially interesting/conspiracy view - but could this be some clever trickery from De Zerbi, to have Sanchez in goal and with a point to prove for the FA cup?

Potentially sees the FA Cup as our best opportunity of Europe, so wants Sanchez in goal for these games.

Not only gets our best (?) keeper in for the next important cup games, but also gives him a kick up the backside at the same time, to earn his way back into the squad after the cup.

Inspired?

Calling Dr No. Our best chance of Europe is finishing 7th. Dropping what RDZ considers our best keeper for two very winnable games in order to have him available for a league 2 side is insanely counterproductive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports