[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's all a learning process right. He didn't lose us the game despite his mistakes. It was a poor first half against a team absolutely full of confidence and quality. I have no doubt that when he is 30 he'll be in the top three keepers in the league.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Didn’t have his best game obviously but he hasn’t single handedly cost us the game.

4 goal needs to do better.

Not much he could have done with the 1st and 2nd.

Await the “let’s talk about dunk” thread for the third.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Someone needs to have a word with him about that monstrosity that he drives. Walking down Dyke road after the match tonight, the olive green turdmobil comes popping down the road like a box of cheap fireworks FFS.

Absolutely no taste :facepalm:
Heard the turdmobil in the summer pull up outside Marocco's like a box of fireworks. Was surprised when big Bob got out instead of a boy racer. He looked suitably embarrassed as he went in for his ice cream.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This . . . The problem is, as it was with with Lidl Maty . . .no competition.

Life is learning . . . he needs to be intelligent as well as capable.
keepers are a special breed, clearly not easy to mine . . . . Bobs good, but needs better competition and we need a better back up to create that
Yea, Ryan was brilliant when Sanchez returned to challenge him...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Goalkeepers and defenders rely on each other. Bad defenders can expose a goalkeeper, a weak goalkeeper can undermine the defence. In some cases this becomes a negative feedback loop. Too often we focus on one or the other. Yes, Sanchez has not been at his best recently, but neither have the players in front of him. It's a problem with the team as a whole, as we become more attacking under De Zerbi, we've lost some defensive solidity. I don't know if the key is different players, or it's just a period of adjustment as the team get used to compensating for attacking more.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One thing that I think is worth pointing out is that our actual goals against (24) is higher than our XGa (21). This stat reflects badly on the keeper, and although it’s by no means the worst in the PL, I’m sure it won’t have gone unnoticed.

For comparison, the difference between Ryan’s actual conceded and XGa was about 6 after only about 12 games when he was dropped, so nowhere near as bad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bad game from him.
It cost us, but it happens.

Not buying the " He has at least one mistake in him every game" comments.
Not my experience of watching him play, at all.
I agree with this.

He was awful last night but that really is a rare occurrence. Lamptey and Dunk didn’t help at all and what with a Big Six ref and everything Arsenal touching deflecting into the net, we didn’t really have a chance. Arsenal fans can claim they are the best team in the world based on their form and position int he table. Even if Sanchez, Lamptey and Dunk had had great games, we’d still have struggled to get anything from yesterday’s game. Good to get their mistakes out the system in a game we had little chance in.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One thing that I think is worth pointing out is that our actual goals against (24) is higher than our XGa (21). This stat reflects badly on the keeper, and although it’s by no means the worst in the PL, I’m sure it won’t have gone unnoticed.

For comparison, the difference between Ryan’s actual conceded and XGa was about 6 after only about 12 games when he was dropped, so nowhere near as bad.
I don't know about any of the stats, but what l do think is that Sanchez is overrated by many on here, and that two of the goals yesterday were down to him.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I like the old premise that you ‘have to earn the shirt’. Don’t think Sanchez is at risk of losing it but he should face that risk. Steele looks a reasonable replacement for an off form 1st keeper. An on form Sanchez takes some replacing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's one of these

Bob Car.jpg

And I think he may have a friend who lives near as I've heard it pop-poppin around here at night :rolleyes:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I like the old premise that you ‘have to earn the shirt’. Don’t think Sanchez is at risk of losing it but he should face that risk. Steele looks a reasonable replacement for an off form 1st keeper. An on form Sanchez takes some replacing.
I suspect that's part of the problem, Jason Steele just isn't a Premier League goalkeeper, it would take a minor miracle for RDZ to drop Sanchez for that very reason. He badly needs more competition for his place.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He is very talented, has oodles of promise but he's still learning his trade and will continue to make mistakes - the question is whether, if we genuinely aspire to top 10, we can afford to continually play a rookie 'keeper who is serving his apprenticeship???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports