Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reluctant to post on a thread started by someone on my ignore list, but I will nevertheless.

It doesn't matter.

Eat as well and as variably as your circumstances allow.

Chemicals (nitrites especially) are avoidable. There is shit on the cheaper veggies as well as the meat.

If you avoid meat and fish you do need to make sure you source all the dietary content you have cut out. This can be a fun exercise for the middle classes with time and money to spare. The rest of us, who don't have the time or resources to research our groceries would be better off playing safe and eating a varied diet.

I can't believe I have wasted time on this thread. OP, eat grasses and mud, please.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Biggest challenge for me is dairy. Such a cruel industry.

I've tried milk alternatives but it's difficult as I've drunk it in such large quantities since I was little- probably the only reason I still have teeth despite never going to the dentist.

I'd like to give it up but need encouragement.

I can easily go without meat.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If you avoid meat and fish you do need to make sure you source all the dietary content you have cut out. This can be a fun exercise for the middle classes with time and money to spare. The rest of us, who don't have the time or resources to research our groceries would be better off playing safe and eating a varied diet.

Whilst I had no qualms with the rest of your post, this section here paints being veggie or vegan as difficult, nutritionally and financial, and it simply isn’t. Vegetables are considerably cheaper than meat, the only real cost is when you buy veggie or vegan meat substitutes. Also, the only thing you can’t get from plants is vitamin B12, which can only be found in animal products. All of your other nutritional needs, protein, calcium, iron etc, can be readily found in plants.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite enjoyed making my tea tonight: roasted some carrots in olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Added to a baby spinach salad made with quinoa, spring onions, roasted pumpkins seeds, avocado and a simple dressing made from olive oil and red wine vinegar with orange. Took half an hour, most of that was waiting for the carrots, tasted great and served with some freshly made pasta. No meat and perfectly satisfying. This from a carnivore! Gotta cut down on meat for everyone’s sake though and now really trying to view as a treat. Mrs P suggested we go Veg all week and only have meat at the weekend. Why not? Save a fortune too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I could never become a veggie as I like my meat too much

Said the same for years but then I saw that Attenborough doc featuring the Walruses and if that doesn’t shock you into changing habits of a lifetime then I don’t know what will. It has me and I’m a dyed in the wool ‘bloke’ who likes his burgers etc. I’m eating a lot less meat, found not missing it, discovered loads of healthier alternatives and I’m enjoying sport and exercise for the first time in many years once again. Just got to give it a try. Free yer mind and yer ass will follow!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I ate veggie food for a month just to try and force myself to eat a bit differently. It's not something I wanted to continue but it was interesting to go a month thinking a bit more about what I was eating and trying things I hadn't eaten before. I'd never have chosen a veggie thai curry in the past, I now prefer it to a meat thai curry. I've also found I really enjoy some of the vegan burgers and hotdogs, will happily eat those and feel better for it afterwards. I ended up far to reliant on cheese but there's certainly a lot of very good food out their if you can break that habit of choosing the meat option by default.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All of your other nutritional needs, protein, calcium, iron etc, can be readily found in plants.

if you eat quite a bit more of them. though we do eat far more meat than is necessary. an interesting thing i found was that not all nutrients are the same, one in particular is iron, the form found in meat is more easily absorbed than that found in veg. animals effectively preprocess basic plant matter into better quality food.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Quite enjoyed making my tea tonight: roasted some carrots in olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Added to a baby spinach salad made with quinoa, spring onions, roasted pumpkins seeds, avocado and a simple dressing made from olive oil and red wine vinegar with orange. Took half an hour, most of that was waiting for the carrots, tasted great and served with some freshly made pasta. No meat and perfectly satisfying. This from a carnivore! Gotta cut down on meat for everyone’s sake though and now really trying to view as a treat. Mrs P suggested we go Veg all week and only have meat at the weekend. Why not? Save a fortune too.

Fantastic tasty home cooked coconut Thai curry at this end tonight, Morrisons fresh pea protein noodles, spinach, broccoli, quorn pieces and mango slices, packed with protein, nutrients and flavour, quick and easy and cheap to make.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
if you eat quite a bit more of them. though we do eat far more meat than is necessary. an interesting thing i found was that not all nutrients are the same, one in particular is iron, the form found in meat is more easily absorbed than that found in veg. animals effectively preprocess basic plant matter into better quality food.

Hence the importance of sourcing the right killed animal. They need to have roamed and eaten well. 90% of meat eaten would not improve quality of anything.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I find it interesting, when asked the age old classic ‘but where do you get your protein from?’ question, how much protein people presume we actually need. The actually amount of protein is significantly less than what people expect it to be. Although you are correct and animals act as as a ‘middle man’ so to speak, the human body is still adequately capable of digesting plants in a way in which we obtain essential nutrients, the added benefit of course being that no animals are harmed in the process.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I had no qualms with the rest of your post, this section here paints being veggie or vegan as difficult, nutritionally and financial, and it simply isn’t. Vegetables are considerably cheaper than meat, the only real cost is when you buy veggie or vegan meat substitutes. Also, the only thing you can’t get from plants is vitamin B12, which can only be found in animal products. All of your other nutritional needs, protein, calcium, iron etc, can be readily found in plants.

To qualify that, yes it is easy - as long as you know what you're doing. Not everyone does :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve gradually reduced the amount of meat I eat to almost nothing now I’ve the course of this year. Firstly as I think it is a more healthy diet for me and secondly because it’s clearly the easiest and biggest thing we could all do to help save our planet.

Vegetarians and vegans are a fast growing group. Certainly a market all of the food producers and supermarkets are tapping in to and it’s a lot easier than I ever realised it would be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here