Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
they are descriptions that bear no relation to the substance. burgers and sausages are a shape, chicken nuggets and bacon are explicit things. drop the meat, drop the meat description?

But Pork, Beef, Veal or Mutton do not relate to pig, cow, sheep or calf.

You would have to change a lot of food names, for very little purpose.

Back to the thread I am looking forward to my Chorizo Style Shroomdogs later, highly recommend them in stews and casseroles. Mine are for a one pot pasta bake.

Attachments

• Shroomdog.png
    Shroomdog.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 145

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what a peculiar thing to say when we know they are the food names for meat from those animals. why exactly does a veggie nugget have to pretend to be chicken?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

You would have to change a lot of food names, for very little purpose.

Back to the thread I am looking forward to my Chorizo Style Shroomdogs later, highly recommend them in stews and casseroles. Mine are for a one pot pasta bake.

Fortunately I have never been a fan of pig meat (except bacon), so I won't miss it.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
what a peculiar thing to say when we know they are the food names for meat from those animals. why exactly does a veggie nugget have to pretend to be chicken?

As I say I do not name them, so do not care. The point I am making is a lot of food is not named directly after what it is i.e. I am not bothered that Bombay Duck is so called.

I have not eaten meat for a long time, but happily enjoy the wide variety of vegan and veggie foods now available, whatever they are called.

As I said earlier in the threads, I love a Leons Love Burger or Alcampo's vegan BLT, also the wide variety of vegan ice creams. I think they great and wondered if Meat eaters had tried them and thought the same.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The ones we get are called Southern Fried Bites. Do they pass your test or do they break the food naming laws too?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
As I say I do not name them, so do not care. The point I am making is a lot of food is not named directly after what it is i.e. I am not bothered that Bombay Duck is so called.

I have not eaten meat for a long time, but happily enjoy the wide variety of vegan and veggie foods now available, whatever they are called.

As I said earlier in the threads, I love a Leons Love Burger or Alcampo's vegan BLT, also the wide variety of vegan ice creams. I think they are great and wondered if Meat eaters had tried them and thought the same.

Attachments

• Dv-vtMdWkAAMpvT.jpg
    Dv-vtMdWkAAMpvT.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 126

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The ones we get are called Southern Fried Bites. Do they pass your test or should they break the food naming laws too?

would seem to pass muster.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I avoid meat the majority of the time but 2 or 3 times a year I will get a Big Mac when I get a craving.

Surprised we eat meat at all these days when we humanise animals to entertain the kids in book or film form, and then expecting children to eat them can be quite traumatic for some when they put two and two together.

https://youtu.be/5Npv2Mpbd3w

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I eat meat but have certainly reduced my intake over the years and definitely pay attention to animal welfare. I cook a lot of pasta dishes and these are piss easy to make without meat.

For me, the best advance in this area has been the concept of a more environmental based choice ie reduced consumption and less environmental impact. The Frau was a veggie and she said one of the worst elements was tiresome right wing types who can only see black and white and will think they’re smart by picking you up because you had a leather watch strap etc etc. I’m sure you know the type (head over to the Brexit thread if you don’t). Flexitarianism dispenses with all of this. I subscribe to this flexitarian idea but I thinks it’s fair to say most are more flex than me.

I get annoyed by these idiots too. They’re very like Farage Its true! I eat meat, have cut down considerably for health and now environmental reasons. But also animal welfare. I’m increasingly struggling to justify my love of eating meat when I’m an animal lover. Three good reasons to reduce my intake of therefore and it’s more a case of forming a habit. Today I consciously chose to have a vegetarian lunch when my initial choice was buy packet of ham or chicken. Nutty Salad and Samosa instead. Very nice too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A bit harsh? Isn't it a bit like preferring the cover version to the original (it happens)? And there's the added bonus that the lead singer wasn't slaughtered in the process.

Nope.

He's an idiot.

More than happy for him to be a veggie, I'm good like that....but don't PRETEND your FAKE mince is as good as my REAL mince.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Yeah I don’t think many expect someone turning veggie to go full blown veggie.

If cutting down meat and doing veggie meals couple of days a week works whilst you learn more recipes and decide what’s right for you then power to you.

[emoji534] [emoji534]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I avoid meat the majority of the time but 2 or 3 times a year I will get a Big Mac when I get a craving.

Surprised we eat meat at all these days when we humanise animals to entertain the kids in book or film form, and then expecting children to eat them can be quite traumatic for some when they put two and two together.

https://youtu.be/5Npv2Mpbd3w
I was a confirmed carnivore before I saw that.

But now, if she was my daughter, I don't think I would bring meat into the house again and would only eat it when not in her presence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is an old (and not very good or PC) joke about a blind man walking past the fish shop - he politely raises his hat and says, "Ah, good afternoon ladies".

......and yes, I have tried vegan 'fish' and chips ......................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here