Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the clock show added time

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Actually in Cricket and Rugby League they show all replays because the video umpire can make a decision based on this. In football since no decisions can be reversed using a video replay, all you would do is make the refs job harder than it already is....

Replays in Rugby League of incidents that have not been referred to the video ref are often shown - irrespective of whether the right or wrong decision has been made.

Perhaps it's more a reflection on the respective attitudes of the players than the supporters...

You may well be right but if the players knew it was quite likely that a replay would be shown then their behaviour could well change for the better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You may well be right but if the players knew it was quite likely that a replay would be shown then their behaviour could well change for the better.

Your faith in footballers is touching :)

Sadly, most of them can- it seems- barely cope as it is with the concept that time added on is a minimum, not an absolute. How many times have we heard managers ranting about referees "because he quite clearly signalled four minutes and he played FIVE AND A HALF, it's disgusting".

What would we as fans actually get from showing the actual time played on the clock anyway? I have a watch. I usually just glance at that when the board goes up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Your faith in footballers is touching :)

Sadly, most of them can- it seems- barely cope as it is with the concept that time added on is a minimum, not an absolute. How many times have we heard managers ranting about referees "because he quite clearly signalled four minutes and he played FIVE AND A HALF, it's disgusting".

What would we as fans actually get from showing the actual time played on the clock anyway? I have a watch. I usually just glance at that when the board goes up.

I go 1 better I look at the big screen and get a calculator out to add on 2 minutes to the time showing.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why does the clock on the screen stop at 45 even though there is added time? We now get from the ref how long he is adding on and this is shown on the screen but the clock stops at 45 rather than keep going so we know how long to go.

Secondary Question... They always announce the added time after 45/90 mins... What happens if the 4th official doesn't add any time? How can he show a board with 0 minutes after the half/game has finished? Can this even happen or is a football match a minimum of 92 mins now?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Secondary Question... They always announce the added time after 45/90 mins... What happens if the 4th official doesn't add any time? How can he show a board with 0 minutes after the half/game has finished? Can this even happen or is a football match a minimum of 92 mins now?

Firstly, it's the referee that adds any time, not the 4th official.
Secondly, the 4th official doesn't hold the board up.

MassiveGullFan

Nov 26, 2014
Rainbow Rooms
Why does football continue to exist in the dark ages - no TMO, and why not stop the clock when it needs to, with a "Time Off" like lovely Nigel Owens in the Rugby..and "Time On" when it's go... wouldn't need this silly chap fannying about with a board...

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I noticed on MOTD that at The Brittania the match in progress was being transmitted live on the big screen in one corner of the ground. Is this unique to Stoke? #oddness

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Why does football continue to exist in the dark ages - no TMO, and why not stop the clock when it needs to, with a "Time Off" like lovely Nigel Owens in the Rugby..and "Time On" when it's go... wouldn't need this silly chap fannying about with a board...

Clearly a silly idea, how would the players go about timewasting rolling around on the floor, or walking slowly off when substituted/injured if the clock went off.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
To continue.
No 'controversial' incidents are allowed to be shown on the big screen. I have seen the match shown live at grounds but rarely any incidents replayed.
I also try and remember the time (3:45 and 4:51 normally) and add the added minutes to this. But I know a match on telly last weekend showed the clock continuing into added time.

MassiveGullFan

Nov 26, 2014
Rainbow Rooms
Clearly a silly idea, how would the players go about timewasting rolling around on the floor, or walking slowly off when substituted/injured if the clock went off.

Hmmm... sorry forgot this was a sport for prima donna players with oversized ego's, not for the paying supporter - stupid of me, apologies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here