Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can somebody explain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely you wouldnt expect a man who has made millions to be silly enough to allow an obvious mistake, in the appointing of Hypia to continue to such an extent as to put the whole immediate future of the club in jeopardy. It was reported that not only did he do that but the powers that be didnt want Hypia to resign This must lead to some head scratching by some at the top. Although I dont want it and dont expect it, relegation is a very likely outcome this season and as a fan I cannot understand TB not taking more positive action to avoid this.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Perhaps Tony Bloom,just cannot match the parachute paid wage budgets of many championship clubs.IMO he is gambling that our enhanced youth program will be our path to the premiership,which possibly bizarrely could involve relegation from the championship,and bringing in these young players on.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
TB expected us to be in the top six this season

On paper, the players we signed in the summer appeared better than the players we released in the summer so we should have improved the squad but results haven't reflected this.

Ulloa was always going to be hard to replace and may take quite a while still to find our next star striker
Upson was offered a new deal but got an offer from a Premier League team that was too good to turn down.

Bridcutt and Buckley wanted out and Bridcutt didn't go in the summer, Ince did well enough last season as his replacement.

Barnes was very unlikely to sign a new deal (and wasn't exactly valued by quite a few fans when here)

Orlandi hardly played yet reading NSC you'd think he was an ever present last season, the same with Spanish Dave hardly playing, and aslo Rodriguez, etc....

Instead we lament the loss of a player like Vicente and Bridge who didn't even play for us last year and gloomily use them as a measure of how far we have imploded / fallen from grace, etc.....

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
TB expected us to be in the top six this season

Give the distance between 21st and 10th is about ten points, it doesn't seem unreasonable... optimistic, but not crazy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So why didnt TB act in January? Reading did it from a relegation place at Christmas.

What is your definition of "act"?

We re-signed a defender on loan who had been good when he played in the first half of the season, an international midfielder with Champions League experience and a Striker with Premier League experience.

If that lot had cost 5m, would that then meet your definition of acting?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is your definition of "act"?

We re-signed a defender on loan who had been good when he played in the first half of the season, an international midfielder with Champions League experience and a Striker with Premier League experience.

If that lot had cost 5m, would that then meet your definition of acting?

I am struggling to put names to these, I assume you mean Kayal played for Celtic, being the only decent team in Scotland they qualified for European Cup but wouldnt have elsewhere. Best was the striker but his Premier experience was some time ago and not a prolific scorer. An extremely average defender who couldnt get into a team a little higher up the table than us. None of them signings to make other teams sit up and watch and take notice.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am struggling to put names to these Kayal played for Celtic being the only decent team in Scotland they qualified for European Cup but wouldnt have elsewhere. Best was the striker but his Premier experience was some time ago and not prolific scorer. An extremely average defender who couldnt get into a team a little higher up the table than us. None of them signings to make other teams sit up and watch.

So he has acted then?

I just get the impression that in order for you to be satisfied, TB needs to spend another 10m a year signing "name" players who may not be any better than we have now, but at least we will have shown ambition by spending bucketloads more money. :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not at all to me ' to act' as to sign better players than we had not similar or less ability. Kayal = Stephens, Best = COG, Halford = Hughes, are they improvements, I dont think so. Hypia = Hughton that is the only improvement which may prove the answer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Surely you wouldnt expect a man who has made millions to be silly enough to allow an obvious mistake, in the appointing of Hypia to continue to such an extent as to put the whole immediate future of the club in jeopardy. It was reported that not only did he do that but the powers that be didnt want Hypia to resign This must lead to some head scratching by some at the top. Although I dont want it and dont expect it, relegation is a very likely outcome this season and as a fan I cannot understand TB not taking more positive action to avoid this.
I think you are getting a little carried away to suggest our future is in doubt. We haven't been relegated yet and I don't believe relegation would mean we have to start again in some provincial division.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Im hoping that TB has already said to CH just survive this season and in the summer sort out your new team with an open cheque book to a certain extent trouble is we have to survive it could all go down to the last game and not sure how many season ticket holders will remain at the prices we charge will remain in force next season if we are in league one

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
TB is a long standing fan who has invested millions into his club but why has he neglected the playing side. I would
have thought that would be of the utmost importance especially to a fan, so please explain to me why you think this is so as I dont understand it.

haven't ploughed through the whole thread, but in answer to your question, think we are just planning on survival this season, which could well backfire.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Not at all to me ' to act' as to sign better players than we had not similar or less ability. Kayal = Stephens, Best = COG, Halford = Hughes, are they improvements, I dont think so. Hypia = Hughton that is the only improvement which may prove the answer.

why all this relance on Stephens ? We haven't seen nearly enough of him, let alone in a relegation battle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have a choice of Stephen, Lua Lua, March and as I posted on the thread about our latest rumored signing of Ledesma I would have gone for Lewis McGugan as a purchase, sent Halford back and relied on Hughes as cover for CB and signed somebody like Kevin Doyle, a goalscorer on loan. Yes that would have meant spending some money but I would then have been more confident of survival this season. Relegation will cost more and set us back 3 or 4 years.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
When Hypia resignd just before Christmas it was in TBs hands to make a statement and back it up with some reasonable signings to reach his predicted target but nothing has happened we have just signed more dross, although I think Best will come good.

this agreed but he wants to get a move on

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
............. and the distance between 10th. and the play-offs is 12 points.
A ten-point difference is well within the limits of chance.
A lot of the final table is plain, blind luck.

It's entirely realistic to expect to do well, or fear doing poorly, and have quite the opposite happen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A ten-point difference is well within the limits of chance.
A lot of the final table is plain, blind luck.

It's entirely realistic to expect to do well, or fear doing poorly, and have quite the opposite happen.

Ten points, yes. 22 points, no chance.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've always suspected TB is only in it for the glory that is owning a vast and unrecoverable debt. He'll get no gratitude from me whilst he clearly still has shirts to wear and we're not in the Premiership.

Simon Jordan, now he was committed. Not this tokenism that Tony's playing at.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've always suspected TB is only in it for the glory that is owning a vast and unrecoverable debt. He'll get no gratitude from me whilst he clearly still has shirts to wear and we're not in the Premiership.

Simon Jordan, now he was committed. Not this tokenism that Tony's playing at.

jordan-parish.jpg

They both are the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here