Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can I film the police with no reason?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You cannot film in a public place without written permission from the local council.

i think that applies only for commercial filming, where you might be causing an obsturction in the process.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
i think that applies only for commercial filming, where you might be causing an obsturction in the process.

I believe you're right. It's all about if you're causing an obstruction - if you're approaching this from a professional viewpoint this article is well worth a read: Filming in Public Places | Philip Bloom

According to the BFI, 'if you want to film on public land you will need permission from the appropriate local authority or council. They are responsible for public land, public buildings, roads and parking.' This was also what I was taught to observe during my training. If I'm taking my camera out (EX3 or Z1E for smaller jobs) I make sure I have permission from the relevant authority, it's rule number one.

Dec 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. Clears it up nicely.

As for the people (or person) saying "if you are asking the question you must have considered it" you clearly have no curiosity and no willingness to question the world we live in. I have also researched if "jumping into water from 50 foot will kill you" but it doesn't mean I had an intention of doing it.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
You can film whoever you want anywhere you want but if you are seriously considering filming a police officer your two main problems will be;

1. Finding a real police officer to film.

2. Boredom after the initial surprise at finding one.

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
If you are in a public place you can film what ever you like.
How would TV news crews be able to do there job if they had to gain permission from the local authority for every job they did?
If you want to know what you can and cant do, and how far you can push it ask a member of the papparazzi.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
You cannot film in a public place without written permission from the local council.

:lolol:

On public land you can film whomever you wish. On private property you cannot (unless it's your own home), without permission (a shopping mall, for example).

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
You can film whoever you want anywhere you want but if you are seriously considering filming a police officer your two main problems will be;

1. Finding a real police officer to film.

2. Boredom after the initial surprise at finding one.

:lol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

As for the people (or person) saying "if you are asking the question you must have considered it" you clearly have no curiosity and no willingness to question the world we live in. I have also researched if "jumping into water from 50 foot will kill you" but it doesn't mean I had an intention of doing it.

We could give you some more things to investigate if you like?

albionite

May 20, 2009
I remember being caught up in a protest (not one I was actively participating in) and the police started filming us. I responded by taking my camera out of my bag and recording the police recording us. Policeman knocks it out of my hand and says 'you can't do that.'

In this situation...you needed someone filming you, filming the police filming you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
i just don't get why you would want to - definitely sounds like something a bored prick would do. Maybe let police get on with their jobs and stop worrying that you are often on CCTV uness you are a dodgy character

Maybe the guy has a police uniform fetish. :shrug:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:lolol:

On public land you can film whomever you wish. On private property you cannot (unless it's your own home), without permission (a shopping mall, for example).

:lolol: what's so funny? :tosser:

It's not as simple as you make out. Especially if you're a professional. If you want to film on public land you will need permission from the appropriate local authority or council. They are responsible for public land, and ultimately, your safety on it. If you do this as your job, you'd know the laws around it and how it affects your work and what the point of public liability insurance is. An average Joe of course, probably wouldn't be causing an obstruction and ergo probably wouldn't need to bother contacting the council.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Yes, in the same way that you can film a criminal or a random as long as it's in public. It's actually good practice filming the police if they ever stop you for anything, as they know they can't bullshit you if it's likely to end up on YouTube. Search out vids of an Archway cyclist and Lanes busker online for good examples of this.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003

It wouldn't always kill you from 50ft , but can f**k your legs up pretty good .

Sent by tapatalk from my wheelchair....!!!

:lolol: what's so funny? :tosser:

It's not as simple as you make out. Especially if you're a professional. If you want to film on public land you will need permission from the appropriate local authority or council. They are responsible for public land, and ultimately, your safety on it. If you do this as your job, you'd know the laws around it and how it affects your work and what the point of public liability insurance is. An average Joe of course, probably wouldn't be causing an obstruction and ergo probably wouldn't need to bother contacting the council.
When I worked for a local authority, we were approached by a film production company who asked for our permission to film on a public highway. Extensive enquiries around various departments of the council uncovered the fact that there was nobody working for the organisation who believed that the council had any powers to stop filming in a public place or on the highway. The only law that we could find was the law that prevents people from obstructing the highway, but, even then, it's not the council's job to enforce that law.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i presume you have me in mind with your comments,i really cannot understand how me thinking that someone who would go out and film a policeman or woman simply for the gratification of winding them up is an idiot would mean they have "no curiosity and no willingness to question the world we live in",my viewpoint simply means i think they are are twits.how on earth you can come to this conclusion is beyond me but i see you are not alone,it seems some people for whatever reason would get a kick out of winding up the police for no apparent reason.

ps chum have some curiosity and willingness to question the world we live in.......go jump off a 50 ft cliff into water,it wont kill you but your alleged "research" would have told you that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here