Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can I film the police with no reason?

D

Deleted member 2719

I was onced stopped 4 times in a 3 weeks period while driving my car , felt liked i was being followed or even stalked.

Why did they stop me? i never did get a proper reason, one of there sarcastic comments included "what is a young lad like you doing driving a sporty car like this" (for ffs, i was in a Truimph Toledo..................... most vicars had them).

I know a couple of plod and they seem fine but what they are like when they change into Uniform who only knows:eek:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes you totally can.

But for the most part they really don't like it, and will try to convince you that you cannot.

But you can. And I encourage you to. :)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
An ACT is a scene in a play.

A PERSON (from the Latin PERSONA) is a mask worn by a character in a play.

"All the world's a stage" - William Shakespeare

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Is your life really that barren?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
When you start following someone it could potentially fall into the relms of Harassment. If you're filming in a set location (at a protest for example) I don't think there is anything that can stop you doing it.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I'd just blue light it away from you, or find somewhere that is private property to get away from you! Simples.......

Prohibition of harassment.

(1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a)which amounts to harassment of another, and
(b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2)For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—

(a)that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,
(b)that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or
(c)that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

Normally used in domestic circumstances but no case law on it that I know of!

Failing that you could get a life!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When living in Over St by the station, I always regretted not running home to get my camera when walking past the Masons building in Queens road one afternoon in the late 70s early 80s...somebody had smashed one of the windows of the Masons building, and I swear, there was six or seven policemen with brooms cleaning it up...

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Most of you are constantly filmed without a word of explanation through cctv are you not?

Pretty sure the police are as well in all fairness.

Anyway, is it not possible that following anyone around with a camera could be construed as harrassmet (assuming they've been asked to stop doing it and they refused)?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So following could get you in trouble? Lets say you are just following without a camera I suppose that's a bid dodgy in itself (is following someone an offence?). Throw a camera into the mix there must be grounds for arrest.

Why?

I can't step out of my front door without being "caught on camera"

If it's okay for the council and the police (and for private citizens/tv companies/film crews/shopping malls/parking companies/security firms etc..........) why not any old joe soap?

I'm not saying it won't wind the police up and you may easily find yourself arrested just to put the frighteners on but charging you seems highly unlikely

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
If you go to a shopping centre or private building then you will more than likely see a sign stating you will be recorded and then it is your choice if you enter or not.

Imagine your Mrs or boyfriend is raped on the way home from work and the only evidence putting someone at the scene was a CCTV camera and they get convicted you would not moan. Generally the film is only downloaded if it captures an incident then there are relevant laws to abide by to obtain copies of that CCTV to be used as evidence.

If filming an incident, arrest or something else expect to possibly have your camera or other device seized as evidence. Could show people not spoken to as witnesses, the actual incident, police brutality or an assault on a police officer. Filming in someone's face whilst they are walking along the road doing there job is tad different.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Provided that you are public land and not breaching any other law/bylaw (obstruction, harrasment, etc) then you have every right to take still or video photography without breaking any law.

To be stopped/arrested/detained under the recent terrorism legislation, the police must show REASONABLE evidence that you are involved in terrorist activity.

There are huge numbers of examples where the requirement for them to have REASONABLE evidence is sadly lacking and based on this you could expect them to cite this legislation to try to prevent your activity or arrest/detain you.

Also, in these circumstances, they have NO right to remove property from you without arresting you... so no removing the film or memory card from the camera either! They can ask to have it and not handing it over may result in an obstruction charge, but they cannot forcibly take it from you without a court order!

The same goes for any private security firms too, they have no right to stop you filming or destroy/confiscate footage provided you have obeyed the law.

Having said all that, a policeman's capacity to "simply wind <b>YOU</b> up" is far greater than your capacity to wind him up!!

If you want to, say, film a street scene, or take photos of the Olympic stadia, then know your rights and go ahead, but in a war of "who can be the biggest ****", the copper will ALWAYS win!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A quick question for the knowledgeable people of NSC.

Could I (hypothetically speaking, i'm not going to do this) follow a policeman on the beat with a camcorder just to wind them up?

I was doing some research and have so far come to the conclusion they may confiscate the camera under grounds of terrorism, or through the "Regulation of Investigator Powers Act" (link here).

Anyway, do we have any bobbys on this site and what would you do in the instance someone followed you with a camera? (Please note for the sake of arguement, lets assume no obstruction is being caused, and no aggressive nature or bad language is ever used).

Thanks

Would you allow me to film you with no reason? I'm free tomorrow and Friday.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You cannot film in a public place without written permission from the local council.

Also, you must submit an application to the council in order to LAWFULLY wipe your own ass.

Submit - Bend to another's will
Appy - Beg, Petition

And what you say is bogus. You do not need permission to film anything in a public place.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This is a quote from the Metropolitan Police website:

Freedom to photograph/film
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Source: Metropolitan Police Service - About the Met - Photography advice

That should clear things up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here