Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Gus Poyet be the next Brian Clough?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Okay...let's forget how he backstabbed Bamber over the Leeds job for one minute. There are similarities:

• He arrives as a virtual unknown (well-respected as a player though)
  • Brings with him a silent assistant that compliments his press-friendly image
  • Gets rid of the big egos in the team
  • Builds a team far greater than the sum of its parts
  • Gets them playing a style of football rarely seen before at this level
  • Complete trust from the chairman who basically gives him carte blanche to mould the club into what the manager wants

Let's overlook the raging alcoholism and I think his sons are a bit too old to join him in the dugout but have I missed anything?

p.s. this is just a bit of fun. If Gus can emulate a small part of Clough managed then I will be a very happy and grateful Seagull.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Explain how Brian Clough arrived at Brighton 'a virtual unknown'

Ah, well.....um....you see.....okay. I'd forgotten about the Derby days. Damn, you with your superior football knowledge. I look bloody silly now.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I hope you didn't mean as a drunken, fan beating has been :ohmy:

Sep 1, 2010
Am i right in thinking it was Clough that took Wardy to Forest and then played him in midfield, i was very young but i am sure that is right.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gold?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Explain how Brian Clough arrived at Brighton 'a virtual unknown'

No-one claimed he did. AFAICS, the lead post compares Clough's career at Derby with Gus' here. As such, it's not a bad comparison. Although, even Clough took two seasons to get Derby promoted.

Now, if Poyet can do for us in the Championship as Clough did for Derby in the old Div 1, I'll be happy...

...let hope he doesn't end it all with a stroppy row with the club board though!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The only man worthy of comparison to our Gus is

tattoo_artwork_of_jesus.jpg

And Gus is actually a REAL person so he wins

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I wouldn't compare Gus to anybody, he's THE Gustavo Poyet end of.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Am i right in thinking it was Clough that took Wardy to Forest and then played him in midfield, i was very young but i am sure that is right.

I can remember the 3 way deal, Forest got Wardy from us, Man Utd. got Birtles from Forest, & we got Ritchie from Man U.
In hindsight all 3 players may have been better off staying where they were. (except for their bank balances)

Who was it that spotted Ward playing for Burton Albion, from right under Derby's noses ?
If it hadn't been for Ward's goals, the Albion may not have got out of the 3rd division.

Sep 1, 2010
I can remember the 3 way deal, Forest got Wardy from us, Man Utd. got Birtles from Forest, & we got Ritchie from Man U.
In hindsight all 3 players may have been better off staying where they were. (except for their bank balances)

Who was it that spotted Ward playing for Burton Albion, from right under Derby's noses ?
If it hadn't been for Ward's goals, the Albion may not have got out of the 3rd division.

That is true. An odd decision to play him out of position at Forest though. . If indeed I have got that right

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Clough wins the old second division and wins the first division with Derby against all the odds and comes here as a virtual unknown. Superb stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here