Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy mortgage broker in the Sussex area?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You are true and not. Some lenders are direct only. As such I can still do all the forms etc and do the work for the client. Direct only deals can be good but they cherry pick and are very strict. I have lost clients to direct deals but some have wasted a lot of time for something they could never get. The direct deals tend to be loss leaders and then wait for the hard sell on the insurances. Also they are non advised and as such have no redress. I can honestly say I have done the best for my clients for 20 odd years as I like to sleep at night. 5 years ago I could have made over £ 100k pa by stitching up clients with the lender that pays me the highest referral fee, procurement fee but that is not how I do business. As such my income has been very much depleted in recent years but I will always try and be upfront and honest with people. For example HSBC have a 5 year fixed rate at 2.99% but only to 60% ltv and I guess even then only 1 in 5 are accepted. I don't have a lot of time for the direct deal banks as their " advisors " are just order takers really, not qualified, passed no exams and just taking orders and flogging expensive insurances as that is what they are targetted on not the amount of mortgages they do. How many times have you gone into a bank to pay a cheque in and be subjected to an interogation by untrained staff saying " We can save you money " without having any qualifcations to do this and most times " cheaper " is usually not better but as I said I fear no competition and if someone gets a better deal themselves good luck to them.

I have no doubt that you are giving your clients the most appropriate advice, however a lot of banks and direct lenders do employ qualified people. I was merely pointing out that the term "whole of market" actually means "representative of whole of market". I have no quarms with any mortgage adviser who takes into account the likes of HSBC who dont sell through intermediaries and then charge their clients a fee.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gotta be US shirley? As a minimum, after all those years solid gold stewardship of the REMF, his honesty is as good a guarantee as you'll find anywhere. Which is about as good as it gets in the den of thieves that is the financial sector :bowdown:

Last edited:

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dear Uncle S (Gareth I believe),

I spotted this thread about mortgages a few months ago and I believe you come highly recommended. I'm currently in the market for a Mortgage and would appreciate if you could send me your contact details. I tried to send you a PM, but it appears as if your mailbox is full.

Many thanks

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Dear Uncle S (Gareth I believe),

I spotted this thread about mortgages a few months ago and I believe you come highly recommended. I'm currently in the market for a Mortgage and would appreciate if you could send me your contact details. I tried to send you a PM, but it appears as if your mailbox is full.

Many thanks

Try here Gareth Glover

or here Gareth Glover | LinkedIn

S

smileyweb

Morning folks.

I'm popping my NSC cherry, to add to the list of people recommending the services of Uncle S / Gareth.

As a result of this thread, I exchanged emails with him earlier this week, and we spoke on Wednesday morning - to agree the mortgage to go for.

After our call, I sent Gareth all the info needed, and had a agreement in principle with the lender 90 minutes later. The application is now proceeding, and I'll be saving c.£100 / month vs. what I'm currently paying.

I have been happy with Gareth's advice, and especially the speed of response / service, and would recommend him to anyone.

If you're not currently on a fixed rate, you should get yourself on one, and use Uncle S / GG to sort it for you.

As usual, Gareth has waived his broker's fee, so - on completion - I'll be making a donation to the REMF.

Cheers,

---
Smiley

S

smileyweb

...and, for my second post:

The original bank - N*tw*st - decided to remove the mortgage deal for new customers, while the application was going through...

...but Gareth sorted out an alternative (as good as the original), and it only took 4 working days from Gareth providing the final requirements to them to survey and then offer.

All is good. Thanks Gareth.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks for the kind words.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For anyone sat on a lender's variable rate and have 40% equity, Santander have a 2 year fixed rate at 1.99% for 7 days only. PM me if you want details. Thanks.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Adding a wholehearted endorsement for US. Very fast, attentive and friendly service. Oh, and the deal he got me saved me a MINT vs. other offers I'd had. Could not be happier.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Doesn't Uncle Spielberg do that? I'd trust him.

Uncle spielberg is your man.

Another vote for US here.

Uncle S.

Always heard good things about his advice.

Uncle Speilberg (Gareth) sorted out a re-mortgage for me this year - very good service :clap:

Uncle S. is the man you want

Very helpful for me and a remortgage

Uncle Speilberg, or Gareth if you prefer, sorted out my mortgage and life insurance. He makes the whole process easy and he knows his stuff. A definite reccomendation from me.

Adding a wholehearted endorsement for US. Very fast, attentive and friendly service. Oh, and the deal he got me saved me a MINT vs. other offers I'd had. Could not be happier.

Never heard a bad word regarding US and his advice.

Thank you to all those above that recommened Uncle Spielberg!

I took your advice and met with him this week.

He saved me £1200 costs, plus £100 a month on my life insurance compared to a competitors offer.

He knows his stuff too. I am on a really tight time deadline and he advised which company he thought would get a mortgage sorted the quickest. They have arranged for a survey to be carried out within 3 working days of seeing U.S. I'm no expert as I'm a first time buyer, but that seems pretty quick to me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good luck with it all DumLum, you going to tell us what your username is all about now?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Thanks guys for the kind words. I have done a couple of mortgages for NSC members recently and I thnk they were happy with my advice and service. I have been a whole of market mortgage broker for 22 years.

You can add another NSC member to your growing list of happy customers. As we exchanged contracts today!

I am pretty sure we wouldn't have made the tight deadline if we hadn't taken your advice.

Thank You Gareth!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You can add another NSC member to your growing list of happy customers. As we exchanged contracts today!

I am pretty sure we wouldn't have made the tight deadline if we hadn't taken your advice.

Thank You Gareth!

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope you will be very happy in your new home. Application to offer within 5 working days. The thing is in this market knowing which lender actually wants to lend at the moment as knowing how their business targets are being met, or not. My pride in the job is getting people into their homes or a good remortgage and that is what makes me happy the most. Merry Xmas.

S

smileyweb

After a few delays, caused by the legal / mortgage folks (and sorted by Gareth while they dithered), I completed my remortgage at the end of last week.

I'm saving almost £100 a month on my previous rate, and - even with a fairly hefty booking fee for a 5-yr fix taken into account - I'll save c.£4000 over the course of the new mortgage vs. the old mortgage.

So, another satisfied customer for GG / Uncle S, and an unreserved recommendation for his skills, knowledge and excellent service.

Thanks Gareth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here