Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Campo Viejo Rioja Gran Reserva

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No this is dealt with, just delivery charges to pay (not cheap). All explained here https://www.decantalo.com/uk/en/content/shipping-wine-to-united-kingdom.html
Thanks for this. A couple of related points:
1, BBR have very high margins but also have an exclusive selection (the two often go hand-in-hand)
2, because I've visited the winery before, I get their wines direct for about half of what they retail for in the UK (the owner responded that their ideal would be to sell exclusively to private clients when asked what markets they were targeting). I haven't ordered from them since we've come out the EU, but one shift that I do know is that there are now restrictions on the number of bottles an adult can bring through customs (24 now), whereas there weren't any previously. My question is: have you got wines from them before and after leaving the EU, and has that impacted on pricing?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
@CheeseRolls I just looked up my last order from Portugal Vineyards in June 21. I paid £128 for 24 bottles and then had to pay DHL £106 in duty, VAT and admin charges. Have things regarding duty changed since then? Ta.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd be interested in the inputs of @Goldstone1976 and @Machiavelli on this, but as a layman, it strikes me that it's likely to lie somewhere between a myth and utter nonsense,

Just because large corporate wine producers flood overseas supermarket shelves with high-volume low-price wine, and that's all that many consumers see, doesn't mean the better stuff is being hoarded solely for the domestic markets.

Wine producers will want to reach a global market, they'll want their wines on the lists of Michelin-starred restaurants the world over and in the cellars of collectors and those who really know and appreciate finer wines.
C’est bolleaux, mon ami.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thanks for this. A couple of related points:
1, BBR have very high margins but also have an exclusive selection (the two often go hand-in-hand)
2, because I've visited the winery before, I get their wines direct for about half of what they retail for in the UK (the owner responded that their ideal would be to sell exclusively to private clients when asked what markets they were targeting). I haven't ordered from them since we've come out the EU, but one shift that I do know is that there are now restrictions on the number of bottles an adult can bring through customs (24 now), whereas there weren't any previously. My question is: have you got wines from them before and after leaving the EU, and has that impacted on pricing?

@CheeseRolls I just looked up my last order from Portugal Vineyards in June 21. I paid £128 for 24 bottles and then had to pay DHL £106 in duty, VAT and admin charges. Have things regarding duty changed since then? Ta.
As I understand it, there is no reason why European companies can not register to pay UK VAT and Duties, other than it is a costly and time consuming exercise. If it isn't worthwhile for a company to do this, as the importer you have to pay and in some case pay a hefty fee to the distributor for handling this for you.

I typically order 12 bottles at a time from Decantalo. Delivery is via DPD and typically takes around 10 days to arrive. I have not seen any limits or had any additional charges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here