Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Campo Viejo Rioja Gran Reserva

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
IN. :thumbsup:

Just needs @Goldstone1976 to tell us what disgusting muck it is and my NSC day will be complete :wink:
Goldstone is busy, so I'm covering. It's aged in American oak, which is fundamentally WRONG -- once you've tasted it, you can't untaste it, and it dominates the fruit.
While we're talking wine bargains, I went into Sainsbury's first thing this morning and managed to bag six bottles of a wine originally retailing at £14, reduced to clear at £5. It isn't aged in American oak, which is just one of the reasons why it's very, very nice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goldstone is busy, so I'm covering. It's aged in American oak, which is fundamentally WRONG -- once you've tasted it, you can't untaste it, and it dominates the fruit.
While we're talking wine bargains, I went into Sainsbury's first thing this morning and managed to bag six bottles of a wine originally retailing at £14, reduced to clear at £5. It isn't aged in American oak, which is just one of the reasons why it's very, very nice.
So, essentially;

If I can taste that and I like it, I’m a peasant

If I can’t taste that, I have no palate

Otherwise I’ve just wasted £18*

*glares at @Bozza *

*there is almost no doubt I’ll drink it anyway

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
While we're talking wine bargains, I went into Sainsbury's first thing this morning and managed to bag six bottles of a wine originally retailing at £14, reduced to clear at £5. It isn't aged in American oak, which is just one of the reasons why it's very, very ni
That might have been what I was saying

Signed: A Wine Snob
Well, I like it, says peasant to wine snob and apparently so do many others.
PS I see from the blurb it is aged in both American and French Oak casks 50/50. Is that fundamentally wrong too? And if so, why and who says so?
Cheers 😁👍🍷

Last edited:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I prefer the normal version :cheery:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I thought Amazon was for books and shit like that, not wine. Anyway for wine, Mrs Cottager and I are (both, separately) members of the Wine Society, a co-operative formed in the 19th century to purchase decent wine in bulk for the benefit of its members. It's a very slickly run outfit with some excellent and good value offerings including a really decent selection of Portuguese wines which was the big attraction for me after importing from Portugal became too expensive after effing Brexit.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I am quite partial to drop of red.
Normally stick to French in general, Rhône valley in particular.
However, I stumbled across a Spanish red wine a fair few months ago called ‘The guv’nor’
Reasonably priced and very quaffable

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
LOL....you poor deprived Brits. You wouldn't know what decent wine is until you've spent some time in the Barossa Valley, the Hunter Valley or the numerous other wonderful Australian wine regions where you can truly get an appreciation for good wine. Not only do we have much better weather, we produce wines that s**t on most of the European muck that tends to dominate your supermarkets. Unfortunately you pay through the nose for a quality Australian wine at liquor shops in the UK. If you ever get down here, barramundi with an aged riesling is to die for.

Would I trade it all in for the chance to watch the Albion climb up into the EPL top 4 over the remainder of the season....maybe! :laugh:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
LOL....you poor deprived Brits. You wouldn't know what decent wine is until you've spent some time in the Barossa Valley, the Hunter Valley or the numerous other wonderful Australian wine regions where you can truly get an appreciation for good wine. Not only do we have much better weather, we produce wines that s**t on most of the European muck that tends to dominate your supermarkets.
You may not be aware, what with living in a global backwater and all that, but due to the wonder of modern logistical supply chains, Barossa Valley and Hunter Valley wines have been reaching UK consumers for quite some time now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought Amazon was for books and shit like that, not wine. Anyway for wine, Mrs Cottager and I are (both, separately) members of the Wine Society, a co-operative formed in the 19th century to purchase decent wine in bulk for the benefit of its members. It's a very slickly run outfit with some excellent and good value offerings including a really decent selection of Portuguese wines which was the big attraction for me after importing from Portugal became too expensive after effing Brexit.
Also a member and big fan of the WS. They have by far the best range of any retailer in the country. Their Greek selection is well worth digging in to too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
LOL....you poor deprived Brits. You wouldn't know what decent wine is until you've spent some time in the Barossa Valley, the Hunter Valley or the numerous other wonderful Australian wine regions where you can truly get an appreciation for good wine. Not only do we have much better weather, we produce wines that s**t on most of the European muck that tends to dominate your supermarkets. Unfortunately you pay through the nose for a quality Australian wine at liquor shops in the UK. If you ever get down here, barramundi with an aged riesling is to die for.

Would I trade it all in for the chance to watch the Albion climb up into the EPL top 4 over the remainder of the season....maybe! :laugh:
From my experience Australia keeps most its best wine for the domestic market. The export success of Ozzie wine is now about power brands than quality.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's a fact of life that the good stuff is never going to leave the country unless its at an extortionate price. I remember the old ads for Piat D'or ( The French adore Le Piat 'Dor ) and found it dire...many years later, the first time in a French supermarket I was confronted by about 10 yards of shelving containing French red...no Le Piat D'or ! Found out from experience that the French don't drink a lot of Pernod either, preferring Pastis instead, so, they export the crap and keep the best for themselves! ...additionally, the Belgian beer Leffe has loads of outlets in the UK but its really one of the worst of Belgium's beers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From my experience Australia keeps most its best wine for the domestic market. The export success of Ozzie wine is now about power brands than quality.
Don’t people say this about most wine producing countries though?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don’t people say this about most wine producing countries though?
I'd be interested in the inputs of @Goldstone1976 and @Machiavelli on this, but as a layman, it strikes me that it's likely to lie somewhere between a myth and utter nonsense,

Just because large corporate wine producers flood overseas supermarket shelves with high-volume low-price wine, and that's all that many consumers see, doesn't mean the better stuff is being hoarded solely for the domestic markets.

Wine producers will want to reach a global market, they'll want their wines on the lists of Michelin-starred restaurants the world over and in the cellars of collectors and those who really know and appreciate finer wines.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
What always strikes me on visits to Portuguese and French supermarkets is the teeny tiny amount of wine from other EU countries. I wonder how much of this is down to consumer preference / nationalist pride / price? Is it the same in Germany and Italy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here