• Yes flags please

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • No thanks no flags

Votes: 182 83.5%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You see, that's where my issue lies. Why should clubs have to "sign up" to it? Stuff like this is a personal choice, not a decision taken by the Football League or the FA or whoever. I know certain messages can't be displayed in football stadiums, and probably with good reason, but I still don't think people should have to seek approval from a bunch of suits in order to take a banner into a game.

Where on earth would Chelsea fans be if the club had to approve all their (admittedly piss poor in the main) hand-crayoned banners?

i believe we are on the same page

just merely pointing out we live in a silly social media peer pressure world

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Maybe he's referring to the minutes silence for the Brighton fan that lost his life serving a while back? Not sure.

But presumably we wouldn't have held it for him had he supported Crystal Palace...........Palace would.

Remembering BHA fans is one thing, however if we had one for the "victims of war" that had died in recent years we would have one every week.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I go to football to forget about the world for 90 mins. I have no intention of waving a "welcome" flag.

Not really sure how waving a flag is going to help the refugees anyway. If people want to help I am sure there are far more effective things they can do than wave a flag.

Can we take it that anybody waving a "welcome" flag is more than happy to take a family of refugees into their home, or is it just a token gesture?

I have a lot of sympathy for the refuges, but I will not be waving a flag.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
No. There is no place for politics in football. I go to football to watch my team, not change the world.

78499711-thumb.jpg

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/4395/the_snapshot_wa.html

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jan/14/newsstory.immigration

Played for the Albion on loan. (Who you watched)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with Edna. If Brighton supporters wish to do it then then I prefer if it's due to their own volition and not a parliamentary press gang. Will I bring a sign/flag, no. Will I be happy to see others do so, yes. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of compassion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This month's Cecil The Lion public display of meaningless breast-beating. No thanks. Premier League can't even chip in £30K for Jimmy Greaves :shrug:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Refugees Welcome Flags v Hull City-Do you want them

A campaign has been launched by Yvette Cooper

Labour leadership candidate Yvette Cooper and MP Chris Bryant are writing to every Premier League club to urge them to allow supporters to unfurl #refugeeswelcome banners in a show of solidarity with those seeking help in Britain.
Only one Premier League club’s supporters’ group – Aston Villa – have so far backed the #refugeeswelcomeEFL support group who are campaigning for banners to mark an “English Football League Day of Solidarity” a week on Saturday. Supporters have been previously prevented from flying flags which are perceived to be of a political nature and Bryant, who is supporting Cooper’s bid to become Labour leader, told clubs to allow fans the right of expression.
“It would be a real shame if the football clubs either prevented fans from expressing their views and holding up banners, or players from taking part in that show of support,” Bryant toldThe Independent.
As opposition grew to Prime Minister David Cameron’s reluctance to grant a safe haven to a substantial number of the tens of thousands fleeing violence in Syria, Afghanistan and beyond, fans of Charlton Athletic and Swindon Town pledged support for the banner campaign, with Villa’s supporters preparing a show of support for refugees during their next game, away at Leicester. But three clubs is a meagre expression of solidarity compared with the compassion fans in Germany, Sweden and Spain have demonstrated for those fleeing war and conflict.
There has been markedly less evidence of British clubs’ supporters acting as a force for good in the war on xenophobia and suspicion of those seeking shelter. Banners demonstrating a welcome for refugees have been seen at FC United of Manchester, the fan-run club established by Manchester United supporters in protest at the corporatisation of their club. The equally enlightened Dulwich Hamlets and Clapton FC have also lead the way. But Germany has a far more extended network of clubs using the power of their profile to encourage an understanding of those forced to flee their homelands.
With the international break giving clubs and supporters an opportunity to plan a show of support, the Premier League is understandably encouraging clubs to establish strong lines of communication with fans, ensuring that there are no conflicts over banners not complying with safety regulations.
Celtic have said they will donate their share of the proceeds from a weekend of charity events in Dunfermline to assist people affected by the refugee crisis. But British football’s contribution pales by comparison with Germany – where Bayern Munich’s pledged to donate €1m (£730,000m) to help refugees and set up a training camp for those arriving in Munich.
“FC Bayern see it as its social responsibility to help those fleeing and suffering children, women and men, to support them and accompany them in Germany,” the Bayern chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...r-those-seeking-help-in-britain-10485360.html

This match is solely for remembering those that lost their lives @ Shoreham. Disgraceful post

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Slightly rich when we spend a minute in silence before a match remembering the victims of war, but we don't want to acknowledge the refugees?

The Germans are applauding the refugees as they enter their country whilst we're spending £7 million on fencing at Calais. Is itreally too political to hold a flag at a football match saying 'Refugees welcome'?

Where's our humanity gone?
To say the Germans means all in a way as I'm sure many millions are against it.
Also like saying every footy fan wanted those banners up when it wasn't actually the fans that planned that as it was a German government planned banner etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here