Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Call me old fashioned....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was among the many who felt that women should only be part of any broadcast team if they knew what they were talking about. Have to say now that the vast majority of females on panels and lead commentators are doing a great job. Maybe it was nerves before but now I'm happy with it.
Getting in an unbiased person is better than a biased Chris Sutton.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's outrageous! People who have not played the game at the very highest level being allowed to pass comment on it!

Will never catch on.

Now, back to the thread about conceding from corners...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Glad I missed that. We are living through a strange period of over- balancing.

Turtle-Falls-Off-Log-Head-First.gif

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Yes it is old fashioned to believe that a woman cannot talk twaddle about football as well as a man can. On the other hand congratulate yourself that you too are part of the progress towards a more equal society, after all the previous generation would have been complaining about non white people being allowed to speak.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes it is old fashioned to believe that a woman cannot talk twaddle about football as well as a man can. On the other hand congratulate yourself that you too are part of the progress towards a more equal society, after all the previous generation would have been complaining about non white people being allowed to speak.

I think you'll find that even in this generation people get themselves in a right hissy fit if they see Ian Wright, Micah Richards or Alex Scott on a commentary team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't see the panel, so I'm firing off a wild guess here, but was every member of the team reasonably easy on the eye? Any grey hair? Thought not.

It's a joke. Male summarisers don't have to be any particular age or even particularly presentable - remember Lawro when he was on the box? But all the women they have on are unfeasibly youthful and good-looking. Don't ugly or even plain women play football?

To be fair to Sky, they have at least one woman reporter/pundit who is anything but easy on the eye.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I don’t see why Alexander Solzhenitsyn made such a fuss. He sold a load of books and won the Nobel Prize for Literature, didn’t he?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I didn't see the panel, so I'm firing off a wild guess here, but was every member of the team reasonably easy on the eye? Any grey hair? Thought not.

It's a joke. Male summarisers don't have to be any particular age or even particularly presentable - remember Lawro when he was on the box? But all the women they have on are unfeasibly youthful and good-looking. Don't ugly or even plain women play football?

I saw Chelsea manager Emma Hayes on a Sky Sports panel once and she was exceptional, very strong on tactics, as you'd expect from a coach who has won a lot. But she isn't especially striking looks-wise (in my opinion) although perfectly presentable. Funnily enough I've never seen her on any other panels.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Theses days do you get sacked, your partner gets sacked, and you get the police on your doorstep these days if you say White Lives Matter these days?

Tsk! These days...

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Hoddle

Brazil

Gascoigne

And that's just off the top of my head.

Absolutely a place for modern players of both sexes in the commentary box but much of modern football is soulless repetition and science to the nth degree. Is there really a Hoddle or Gascoigne playing at the moment? Are Man City better than Brazil 82 (or 70)?

Having not watched football from that era and not have nostalgia goggles or having an emotional connection to that era of football really makes me hate 80s football. I much much prefer todays football as the 80s football just reminds me of league 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here