Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Call me old fashioned....

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Nobody is preventing you from speaking. On this thread it’s various posters calling themselves dinosaurs, that’s all.
No name calling here. I just don’t really care about the gender of football pundits. I like Alex Scott and Gary Neville.I don’t think much of Souness, Keown, and quite a few others. The fact that they have played the game at the highest level doesn’t make them any better at being pundits. It’s probably just down to personal taste.

Of course it does.
It means they have real life experience to draw on, and communicate to an audience, theft others don’t.
Eg roy Keane can tell you what’s it’s like to play in an fa cup final, Adam Virgo can’t.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No creditably for a start. Pardon my ignorance but have they played at the highest standard in the appropriate Premier League.

I might start forging a career in Netball commentary. Let’s face it not difficult!

Ahhhh so thats why you get to listen to the massively interesting Jamie Redknapp instead of, I dunno, Arsene Wenger.

It’s ok, certain conversations in society are effectively banned now and if you put forward an alternative perspective then you’re immediately labelled as such. Let the name calling begin. Because you can’t strike a balance. It has to be polarised. 100% for. 100% against. Nothing in between is allowed remember!

"Why am I not allowed to say things that I just said and could say again without anyone stopping me" is a weird modern classic. :schelotto:

As for accusing others of name-calling... you dont own a mirror, do you?

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Of course it does.
It means they have real life experience to draw on, and communicate to an audience, theft others don’t.
Eg roy Keane can tell you what’s it’s like to play in an fa cup final, Adam Virgo can’t.

Except he can't, because he has all the human empathy and communication skills of a lump of granite.

The first qualification for anybody on television or radio should be their communication skills. First hand experience is ideal but not essential, and if nobody's available who combines the two they should have a forner player trussed up in a cupboard off camera and told to shut the hell up unless they're asked a specific question.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pundits are either good (Redkapp, Carragher, Richards, Scott, Neville), bad (McManaman, Owen, Keown, Carney) or indifferent.........I don’t really give a crap about gender, only competence, but an all-female panel is clearly a nod to IWD. Not worth getting agitated about

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree, but the way society is today you now have to be careful what you say, even for the smallest of things. I just try and laugh at this Bollox.

These days, if you say you're English, they arrest you and throw you in jail.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Except he can't, because he has all the human empathy and communication skills of a lump of granite.

The first qualification for anybody on television or radio should be their communication skills. First hand experience is ideal but not essential, and if nobody's available who combines the two they should have a forner player trussed up in a cupboard off camera and told to shut the hell up unless they're asked a specific question.

I didn’t say it made you a better communicator and I didn’t say you can’t be a good pundit without it .
But that experience does make you a better pundit. It’s first hand experience and credibility. It sets an international footballer apart from everyone else.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't really care who you are as long as you make sense. Karen Carney is AWFUL. But then so is MacManaman. Cashley Cole can barely complete a sentence.

Ebony Rainford-Brent makes more sense on C4 cricket than any of the Indian men. Is she a "quota"?

I really like Ebony Rainford-Brent. Unfortunately if it weren't for the drive to have more women and/or black people on the commentary teams I doubt she would have got the job in the first place. Off hand I'm not sure who the last man to commentate for Sky without any first-class playing experience was. I'd guess Charles Colville, who I can't stand outside of The Verdict.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I didn’t say it made you a better communicator and I didn’t say you can’t be a good pundit without it .
But that experience does make you a better pundit. It’s first hand experience and credibility. It sets an international footballer apart from everyone else.

I agree that it's ideal to have first hand experience to draw on. But it should be an addition to communication/presentation skills, and the ability to observe and assess a game, not the first qualification.

I'd always want at least one former player on a broadcast for that first hand experience, but for commentary or assessment of a manager's tactics etc. it's not particularly relevant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really like Ebony Rainford-Brent. Unfortunately if it weren't for the drive to have more women and/or black people on the commentary teams I doubt she would have got the job in the first place. Off hand I'm not sure who the last man to commentate for Sky without any first-class playing experience was. I'd guess Charles Colville, who I can't stand outside of The Verdict.

Pretty much all of the females they use for cricket are decent.........on both TV and radio.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OP may come to regret this thread :lolol:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Most of the Male "experts" are idiots anyway. Plus they played at a time when football was a much inferior and different beast, so whats the difference.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wait...women are allowed opinions on football now? What next, the vote?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What I don't get is why people seem so anti it. We've had YEARS of panels filled up with rubbish male pundits, some of whom have loads of top flight experience. Even if the female pundits were rubbish, which in general they aren't, they've got 50 years of tripe to deliver before they make up for the travesties of McManaman, Jenas and Owen alone.

Some male pundits are great, some female pundits are great. The more we get diverse viewpoints, the less we'll have to suffer the same tired old football cliches as far as I'm concerned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most of the Male "experts" are idiots anyway. Plus they played at a time when football was a much inferior and different beast, so whats the difference.

Hoddle

Brazil

Gascoigne

And that's just off the top of my head.

Absolutely a place for modern players of both sexes in the commentary box but much of modern football is soulless repetition and science to the nth degree. Is there really a Hoddle or Gascoigne playing at the moment? Are Man City better than Brazil 82 (or 70)?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
It's outrageous! People who have not played the game at the very highest level being allowed to pass comment on it!

Mind you, not as outrageous as wtaching / reading about the news each day. There was someone on the telly talking about Covid who was not an internationally-recognised immunologist, someone talking about finance and the Budget who had never even been a Chancellor, and someone talking about the royal family who had not even been a King*!

Whatever next?

:ffsparr:

(*Or a Queen - but that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it - letting a woman be head of the Royal Family)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here