Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon as manager.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We are a big club with big ideas,,,,REALLY??? pmsl, that's made me chuckle.....Has Hyypia been sacked yet???. What we are is a rudderless ship, sailing into disaster. Big clubs with big ideas don't stcik with people like Hyypia and have half the playing staff on loan. What we are at the moment is nothing short of a joke.

I hate myself but agree with you ! ouch

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Calderon as a TEMPORARY solution would be ideal IMO.

Without doubt we need an experienced manager to come in but that process will take some time.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We definitely need a manager that is experienced at this level.
Unless the club have a major structural change in how it operates, no experienced manager will touch us with a barge pole.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Although Calde already has a lot of football experience both here and in Spain, has great interpersonal skills, highly intelligent, a musician, as well as having a sports psychology degree, and has lectured at The University of Brighton, he would need to get all his badges, and a bit more experience in management. He clearly cares about the club, and long term could be a great appointment - maybe with Orlandi as assistant (all of this, except the psychology degree probably apply to him too, I suspect he has a degree in particle physics or something). I also think Bruno would be a great manager.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Can people stop suggesting this, it is a ridiculous suggestion that would never ever be considered. As WA said on the radio yesterday when it was suggested by a phone in supporter, we are a prospective big club with big ideas. Calderon has no experience and no coaching badges the only plus is he is popular with supporters. He has nothing to offer as a manager. As WA said if SH goes, which he doesnt think he will, we need an experienced man to take over and there are plenty about and available. Not even for 5 days should it happen.

Great post and as great a guy as he is, he definitely should not be the next manager.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Can people stop suggesting this, it is a ridiculous suggestion that would never ever be considered. As WA said on the radio yesterday when it was suggested by a phone in supporter, we are a prospective big club with big ideas. Calderon has no experience and no coaching badges the only plus is he is popular with supporters. He has nothing to offer as a manager. As WA said if SH goes, which he doesnt think he will, we need an experienced man to take over and there are plenty about and available. Not even for 5 days should it happen.

I know its a different era, but it didn't stop us appointing Alan Mullery as manager, though, did it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We are a big club with big ideas,,,,REALLY??? pmsl, that's made me chuckle.....Has Hyypia been sacked yet???. What we are is a rudderless ship, sailing into disaster. Big clubs with big ideas don't stcik with people like Hyypia and have half the playing staff on loan. What we are at the moment is nothing short of a joke.

A couple of months ago l would of thought your view was absurd, right now l think it's slightly over the top. My worry is that in another couple of months, unless he goes, l'll be wanting to marry you.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would have thought that good managers start by being leaders on the pitch. Is there anything to suggest that Calde, or for that matter anyone in our squad, is currently influencing anything on the pitch when things are not going to plan?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although Calde already has a lot of football experience both here and in Spain, has great interpersonal skills, highly intelligent, a musician, as well as having a sports psychology degree, and has lectured at The University of Brighton, he would need to get all his badges, and a bit more experience in management. He clearly cares about the club, and long term could be a great appointment - maybe with Orlandi as assistant (all of this, except the psychology degree probably apply to him too, I suspect he has a degree in particle physics or something). I also think Bruno would be a great manager.

How will being a musician help Calde when it comes to football management!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Unless the club have a major structural change in how it operates, no experienced manager will touch us with a barge pole.

What leads you to that conclusion. We managed to secure the employment of one M Adams when we were in freefall towards to bottom of the football league in 1999; why on earth would someone not wish to come to a club with a state of the art stadium and brand new training complex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Calderon as a TEMPORARY solution would be ideal IMO.

Without doubt we need an experienced manager to come in but that process will take some time.

Why should it as the writing has been on the wall for some time. If you are considering replacing your tired car you look at what is available and what price before deciding to do it and make the change. I would think TB & PB would be doing the same just in case it is needed.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be fair to the caller he did not say Cald as permanent manager, W A jumped in saying we are a big club with big ambitions and should be getting a top draw experiencedt man in. The caller was saying get rid of Hyppia now and put Cald in temp charge until we find a new man in. The problem is we keep Hyppia in for the Millwall game and should we win some of the appologis for the club we start saying we have turned the corner.
Get rid of Hyppia and Jones now and put Cald as temp manager then try to get Glen Hoddle in with his own backroom staff

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To be fair to the caller he did not say Cald as permanent manager, W A jumped in saying we are a big club with big ambitions and should be getting a top draw experiment man in. The caller was saying get rid of Hyppia now and put Calf in temp charge until we find a new man in. The problem is we keep Hyppia in for the Millwall game and should we win some of the appologis for the club we start saying we have turned the corner.
Get rid of Hyppia and Jones now and put Cald as temp manager then try to get Glen Hoddle in with his own backroom staff

lololol, l'm sorry, l found myself agreeing with most of what you were saying. Until l got to the last paragraph that is. Glenn Hoddle?, he hasn't been involved in football management for many years.

I too would like to see the back of Sami Hyypia, but it's an EXPERIENCED Championship manager that we need, and their are several available at the moment

I also feel that this next management change, when and if it ever happens, will be the most important one for many years, and we need to get it right.

All three of Tony Bloom's managerial appointments thus far have been completely untried at managerial level in this country. Stop playing poker with our club Tony, and for once spend a bit more money and go for someone tried and tested.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The point is why a temp manager whoever. Surely it is a matter of a phone call from TB to Chris Hughton " Chris are you interested I becoming our manager if so what do you want as regards wages, assistant etc" ok I will get back to you very soon. Talks to PB 1 hour later "Chris can we meet for dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow. 48 hours a new manager been approached interviewed and appointed. TB must have a list of potential targets should one be needed.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO it will be Jones with perhaps the help of Calderon as caretaker coaches to start with if Sammi gets sacked.....

I think Orlandi was studying to be a Lawyer, probably qualified as a Barrister by now. I think the particle physics thing was just a hobby, though he did get a doctorate in it in his spare time. Some of this may not be true.

Being serious don't think I would wish Calderon to tarnish the image by being a manager before he is ready. What evidence is there of his music skills (waits for someone to tell me that he has a gold disc for his album of Catalan folk songs).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here