Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calais - day trip with the kids?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'd stick to the UK.

Mate of mine from Ringer recently took his girlfriend to France as an early half-time surprise and it caused no end of shit. Yes, definitely UK.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That is a bit of a myth now with the prices available in the uk supermarkets, really depends on what wine and beer you are going to buy.

Not from my experience in the Spring! £10 bottles of wine £3/£4 over there, and the 3 and 5 litre boxes of wine for camping etc, half price of over here.

And the like for like plonk is much cheaper over there.

There was a time when the booze cruise died, but with rising prices here, think there is a big differential once again.

I actually think the myth is that the prices are the same over here!!

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not from my experience in the Spring! £10 bottles of wine £3/£4 over there, and the 3 and 5 litre boxes of wine for camping etc, half price of over here.

And the like for like plonk is much cheaper over there.

There was a time when the booze cruise died, but with rising prices here, think there is a big differential once again.

What about Strongbow ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I only ever buy White Zinfandel over here, because that is what wife and her sister like, and almost everywhere is selling it at £10 for 3 bottles. For me it is usually Fleurie or Morgon if I am buying French Wine and I would agree that is cheaper over there or rather you can buy a better bottle for the same price as in the UK but if it is plonk that you want it is as cheap in this country.

Calais really isn't particularly nice but then few French Port/harbour towns are. I'd save France for when you have time to travel a bit further inland. Isle of Wight is a treat.

We went to he IOW for a couple days in June with the young Pottings. Got a cheapish room at the Travelodge in Newport. Depending on how old they are there is a lot of different things to do. We packed in Carisbrooke Castle, Blackgang Chine, Brading Roman Villa and the Dinosaur place at Shanklin (or Sandown?) and the kids can't wait to go back again so that we can see the Needles properly and maybe do the boat trip round them. 80mph winds on the day we were planning to go rather scuppered anything there apart from making the obligatory coloured sand in glass shape thing.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
We went to he IOW for a couple days in June with the young Pottings. Got a cheapish room at the Travelodge in Newport. Depending on how old they are there is a lot of different things to do. We packed in Carisbrooke Castle, Blackgang Chine, Brading Roman Villa and the Dinosaur place at Shanklin (or Sandown?) and the kids can't wait to go back again so that we can see the Needles properly and maybe do the boat trip round them. 80mph winds on the day we were planning to go rather scuppered anything there apart from making the obligatory coloured sand in glass shape thing.

I was in IoW that week with the kids. We had saved the Needles to the end as a special treat. Kids were really upset when the lift and even the cliff were closed. Still they had good fun making a sand filled animal in the shop and watching how sweets are made. We will be going back next year. If you are there for a few days you can get a combined ticket for Blackgang and Robin Hill for not much more than the cost of going in to one of them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm just looking into a half term day out with the young jnr Stats.

I'll probably end up with my original thought, Isle of Wight Zoo.

But in true bloke fashion it didn't take long for my train of thought to go:-

If we're going on a ferry, lets go to France!

So Calais, on foot, 5 hours, 2 kids (6 & 8)
Is it worth it?

Do Calais, at 6 & 8 years old they should be able to carry a few bottles of decent beer or wine, failing that they should be able to do a couple of wine boxes each in case they are a bit clumsy like.

Bag up ! it will be a good experience for them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where are all the computer geeks when you need them as I have been trying to find out the price of tobacco on the P O ferry to Calais but have been unsuccessful grandson and grand daughter have also tried but also had no luck.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
You could get a cheap ticket with a car and take them to Bruge. Only about an hours drive from Calais and much nicer.

Is it worth it?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph

Is it worth it?

Isle of wight zoo has some fantastic big cat enclosures and not a lot else but for kids this place is much more fun,it seems to be a converted commercial greenhouse complex and has lots to see and do.

About the Zoo | Amazon World Zoo Park | Isle of Wight

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where are all the computer geeks when you need them as I have been trying to find out the price of tobacco on the P O ferry to Calais but have been unsuccessful grandson and grand daughter have also tried but also had no luck.

whould it be worth it once you've travelled all the way down to Dover?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
whould it be worth it once you've travelled all the way down to Dover?

My car got soaked on Christmas Day and needs a long run to help dry it out. The ECU light comes on and then after a longish drive goes off and the car drives normally so I was hoping to drive to Dover to give it a run go over to Calais on a non landing trip and buy my son some baccy then drive back. I hopefully gain by improving the car and he gains by buying his baccy cheap. Everybody is happy.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Dover to Calais Day Trip PLUS 6 Free Bottles of Wine for only £23 (£28 on a Saturday)

Travel between 11th January and 28th February

Wine is Piat D'Or - Either Red, White or Rose
You will be given a voucher at check in and will need to collect the wine on the Dover-Calais outward trip.

Code should be displayed, if not its "FreeWineDY"

PO Ferries - Book Journey

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Boulogne has a very nice aquarium, far better then the Sealife Center. But I suppose you can't win tickets for it at the Amex.

Had my stag do in Boulogne and spent the morning after the night before struggling around the aquarium after a full English (or french equivalent).

By the way, if you drive in France, check the regulations as they changed recently. Think as well as first aid kit, reflective triangle, believe you need to have a reflective jacket as well now!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And a breathyliser kit,no kidding!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here