Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calais - day trip with the kids?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would take them to a theme park rather than a French port. But check online, as this half term is around Hallowe'en so lots of the places have scary rides & stuff added in during half term.

Legoland does good fireworks some evenings Oct/Nov but it takes forever to get away again afterwards:

Pre-Book LEGO Monster Fighters Fireworks - LEGOLAND

I would take them there - or maybe to Fisher's Farm Park in Billingshurst, or Drusilla's or Knockhatch or Paulton's Park instead of spending hours with them feeling queasy on a ferry...and my kids found Mont St Michel boring when we were in France!
Legoland is just shy of £90 just to walk in the door.
Paultons £60, and Fishers (most outdoors) is a more realistic £41.

As said it was just a flight of fancy once the ferry thought had popped into my head.
IoW is, and always has been, the odds on favourite.

St Malo would be great and exactly what NSC is all about, but the crossing is somewhat prohibitive.
Also bit pricey but pushing the boat out, pun intended, is a lot more palatable for something 'special' instead of the half term experience at Legoland.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
There is not a lot in Calais to fill a day. Though they have a train station and a fairly decent bus service so maybe look at going somewhere from there. From what I recall when I was looking their websites have an English option to.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Has anyone been to the IOW recently. The place is suffering from under investment and is a shadow of its former self

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Could I recommend Bruges, beautiful city world heritage site with culture, amazingly scenic place any time of year only hour drive fom calais on a good road, even less from dunkirk. Can park in centre, we used to take car + up to four for day return about £30. In December they have Xmas market with ice skating in main square quite an experience. Could also go by coach / train but if you get early boat / tunnel quite doable in a day.

sorry just seen you're west sussex, bit further for you

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Calais is awful.

Why not hop on the ferry to Dieppe from Newhaven, if you can afford stay the night. Dieppe has a nice town. You could even hop on the Train to Rouen as well.

31.00 pound return for 2 Adults and 2 Children on the Train. 45 mins journey

You also have formule1 one hotel in Dieppe, at reasonable rates
Cheap hotel Formule 1 - Book hotel at a reasonable price

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
The kids will just remember a great day out with their dad so it doesn't matter where you end up going. Enjoy.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Calais is awful.

Why not hop on the ferry to Dieppe from Newhaven, if you can afford stay the night. Dieppe has a nice town. You could even hop on the Train to Rouen as well.

31.00 pound return for 2 Adults and 2 Children on the Train. 45 mins journey

You also have formule1 one hotel in Dieppe, at reasonable rates
Cheap hotel Formule 1 - Book hotel at a reasonable price

I agree that Dieppe is lovely but the journey time is too long for kids. 7 hours on boats is mind numbing for them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was taken on the IOW hovercraft when I was a nipper, and I damn near soiled myself with the excitement. Can't remember what we did on the IOW, I was just counting down the hours for the return trip.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a thought and I haven t checked but are there any cheap hops on easy jet which would be more memorable for them. Or if you wish to splash the cash Euro Disney.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
We are taking kids (7 and 10) to France for couple of nights at half term. Eurotunnel, 2 nights in half decent apartment in Le Touquet, all in £250. Just food to add on, and if on budget, as in apartment can buy decent grub from hypermarket and cook back at apartment.Le Touquet is 30 mins from tunnel, and decent, more interesting town than Boulogne or Calais. Also has big indoor water park on front and miles of sandy beach (for kids to run around on, not sunbathe!).

Gives the kids (and us!) a bit of French culture and can stock up on decent, much cheaper wines/beer on way back!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think the hover craft is even cheaper and quicker over to the Island, and what young kid isn't going to love that! Also, there's Clarence Pier amusements while you wait for the trip over too.

You can't take cars on the IOW hover, unlike this badboy which I went on as a youngster.

PofWales-01_HS.jpg

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
With a non small person perspective Dieppe is attractive but you have to factor in staying for a night (The Etap in the town centre is reasonable for a family room), but for the small people there's limited entertainment - The newish swimming pool is impressive and handily time consuming, the fishing/aquarium museum passes some time and joy of watching youngsters deal with mussels is entertaining! Oh and there's the Château is another possibility... Anyone would think I've enjoyed my visits there, I've tended to sell the trip as a bit of an adventure to the young one's which so far has worked out okay!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was taken on the IOW hovercraft when I was a nipper, and I damn near soiled myself with the excitement. Can't remember what we did on the IOW, I was just counting down the hours for the return trip.
It sounds like you never quite got over it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are taking kids (7 and 10) to France for couple of nights at half term. Eurotunnel, 2 nights in half decent apartment in Le Touquet, all in £250. Just food to add on, and if on budget, as in apartment can buy decent grub from hypermarket and cook back at apartment.Le Touquet is 30 mins from tunnel, and decent, more interesting town than Boulogne or Calais. Also has big indoor water park on front and miles of sandy beach (for kids to run around on, not sunbathe!).

Gives the kids (and us!) a bit of French culture and can stock up on decent, much cheaper wines/beer on way back!
That's kind of the point I was making earlier.
When you think Legoland will cost well over £100 for the 4 of you just to walk in.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Surely absolutely no-one goes to Legoland without a very readily-available (from the Co-op, WH Smith, Cereal Packets, etc.) BOGOF voucher? Or half price tickets run off from Lastminute.com?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely absolutely no-one goes to Legoland without a very readily-available (from the Co-op, WH Smith, Cereal Packets, etc.) BOGOF voucher? Or half price tickets run off from Lastminute.com?
Good point well made.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Calais really isn't particularly nice but then few French Port/harbour towns are. I'd save France for when you have time to travel a bit further inland. Isle of Wight is a treat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Could I recommend Bruges, beautiful city world heritage site with culture, amazingly scenic place any time of year only hour drive fom calais on a good road, even less from dunkirk. Can park in centre, we used to take car + up to four for day return about £30. In December they have Xmas market with ice skating in main square quite an experience. Could also go by coach / train but if you get early boat / tunnel quite doable in a day.

sorry just seen you're west sussex, bit further for you

I would agree. Take a car to the Eurotunnel, 35 minutes and then just one hours drive to Bruges, or Boulogne if you want to go east instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here