Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye First Capital Connect

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is this the best you can come up with? Give me the Deutsche Bahn and a few days of strikes over the 365 days of misery the UK rail bods inflict on England any day. In fact, make that 364 as of course trains don't run on Xmas day.

as someone who uses the UK rail ~240 times a year, i reckon theres no more than 30 days of "misery", of which the majority seem due to be jumpers or extreme weather. yes, that leaves a dozen too many misery days, but i wonder what happens on Deutsche Bahn when someone jumps in front of a train, theres a foot of snow or a storm throwing trees down on the lines? does the system just ignore these obstacles, not stopping to pick up pieces, have drivers jumping from their cab with shovels and chainsaws to maintain service?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think you're confused. That's the problem I have on southern trains.

Not confused I was commenting on the Southern Trains into London. I suspect that the ones you have difficulty with are the 3 carriage trains that operate on the East and West Coastline service.

Clearly any new trains need to be designed fir the comfort of the users.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
as someone who uses the UK rail ~240 times a year, i reckon theres no more than 30 days of "misery", of which the majority seem due to be jumpers or extreme weather. yes, that leaves a dozen too many misery days, but i wonder what happens on Deutsche Bahn when someone jumps in front of a train, theres a foot of snow or a storm throwing trees down on the lines? does the system just ignore these obstacles, not stopping to pick up pieces, have drivers jumping from their cab with shovels and chainsaws to maintain service?

I've commuted to london for years and the delays are in the vast majority of cases down to:
1/ jumpers
2/ signal problems (shorthand for "bunch of gypos have robbed the cables again")
3/ weather

The trains are still uncomfortable and overcrowded though.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Pleased that FCC have lost their franchise. Utterly crap service. Spent years being tortured by them in flea ridden ancient rolling stock whilst the Southern trains glided past with their air conditioning blasting.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
but i wonder what happens on Deutsche Bahn when someone jumps in front of a train, theres a foot of snow or a storm throwing trees down on the lines? does the system just ignore these obstacles, not stopping to pick up pieces, have drivers jumping from their cab with shovels and chainsaws to maintain service?

About 15 years ago I travelled across Germany in a blizzard: I was was up to my ankles in snow just walking to the station. The train ended up running two minutes later and the guard sounded almost in tears as he apologised for the late running.

Contrast that to Southern which, just this week, was revealed to have the worst performance of any train operator with just 54% of trains running on time.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
About 15 years ago I travelled across Germany in a blizzard: I was was up to my ankles in snow just walking to the station. The train ended up running two minutes later and the guard sounded almost in tears as he apologised for the late running.

Contrast that to Southern which, just this week, was revealed to have the worst performance of any train operator with just 54% of trains running on time.

Regardless of Herr T's rubbish the German trains are just as unreliable as British trains and in places have worse timekeeping

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Regardless of Herr T's rubbish the German trains are just as unreliable as British trains and in places have worse timekeeping

If you keep repeating something it doesn't make it correct you know. Do you honestly think anyone believes this? I use the public transport regularly here and can hand-on-heart say it's much much better in every single aspect from price, simple ticketing, punctuality, comfort and the actual staff are very helpful. I have asked you to provide figures* but you never do.

* - I mean overall annual figures not some isolated incidents.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. I get a tram to work when it's too cold or icy to cycle. These keep going in blizzards and -14 temperatures. In fact the only thing which has delayed me was a road accident blocking a tram track. Otherwise they persevere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or is this, finally, a line of humour?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If you keep repeating something it doesn't make it correct you know. Do you honestly think anyone believes this? I use the public transport regularly here and can hand-on-heart say it's much much better in every single aspect from price, simple ticketing, punctuality, comfort and the actual staff are very helpful. I have asked you to provide figures* but you never do.

Go on then post the German punctuality figures to back up your arguments , as for staff being helpful I travelled all over Berlin on the S Bahn and U Bahn and didn't see anyone because they don't have staff do they ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Go on then post the German punctuality figures to back up your arguments , as for staff being helpful I travelled all over Berlin on the S Bahn and U Bahn and didn't see anyone because they don't have staff do they ?

I know a girl from Berlin who loved it up the U Bahn

Regards

EP

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

http://www.thelocal.de/20110428/34677

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Just to add I was recently in Germany and all three ICE trains I travelled on over a few days were delayed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You're the one who needs to find some evidence as you're the one who keeps challenging accepted knowledge. Shall we have a £50 wager for REMF on this? If you can demonstrate to me that over say the last 5 years, in the general (ie across the country), the UK rail service is as good in punctuality, price and comfort as the Deutsche Bahn I'll donate. If you can't you donate. I'll give you one week from now

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not fussed who runs it but will the Blackfriars/City Thameslink rush hour trains still avoid central London and take an extra 20 minutes on a good day?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not fussed who runs it but will the Blackfriars/City Thameslink rush hour trains still avoid central London and take an extra 20 minutes on a good day?

Yes, and all Thameslink services will be avoiding London Bridge from the end of the year for FOUR years as its being rebuilt.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Bit of a myth that trains on the continent are near perfect , I've had to catch the train from Nice to Monaco quite few times this year and they're always late , shabby and covered in graffiti . The 377's on Southern are much nicer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here