Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye First Capital Connect

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
FCC seats better? Come on try taking a seat opposite an occupied seat. and your legs are wrapped around your head. FCC seats are designed for children and adults from the 1700s when the average height was much smaller

Not helped by the fact most men are incapable of sitting with their legs tucked in.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Very true.

The only bad thing about German trains is that traveling on one means you are in Germany.

Not to mention likely to be travelling with Germans as well

So the other people will generally be quiet and considerate, and you can always take a walk to the bar carriage where you'll be offered a selection of decent quality cold beers served in an actual glass by a smiling barman

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
FCC seats better? Come on try taking a seat opposite an occupied seat. and your legs are wrapped around your head. FCC seats are designed for children and adults from the 1700s when the average height was much smaller

I think you're confused. That's the problem I have on southern trains.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think you're confused. That's the problem I have on southern trains.

Where are you travelling??

The London mainline trains on Southern are considerably roomier than the FCC heaps.

There are two configurations. The 3+2 across seats (too cramped) and the 2+2 (comfortable). But in both cases the distance between the facing seats is greater than on FCC trains where it is all but impossible not to intertwine your legs with anyone sitting across from you

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
FCC rolling stock was more like laughing stock! Never run on time after about 6 in the morning. Southern is more comfy, but I don't think it really matters who runs it, it's still the same Victorian lines that can't cope with today's demands.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Are you a child?

Not sure if they take that into consideration when looking at the ticket you bought.
You will get caught....... Eventually, just a matter of if you have saved a sufficient amount of money by that time to cover the fine and still be in profit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where are you travelling??

The London mainline trains on Southern are considerably roomier than the FCC heaps.

There are two configurations. The 3+2 across seats (too cramped) and the 2+2 (comfortable). But in both cases the distance between the facing seats is greater than on FCC trains where it is all but impossible not to intertwine your legs with anyone sitting across from you

100% correct

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the other people will generally be quiet and considerate, and you can always take a walk to the bar carriage where you'll be offered a selection of decent quality cold beers served in an actual glass by a smiling barman

This will happen in Germany

I don't remember much industrial action on the trains recently here, how are things going on DB ? The proposed week long strike may cause a few cancellations in the Fatherland

I am appalled and shocked at this, it cannot be true

http://www.dw.de/german-train-drivers-announce-second-strike-within-a-week/a-17905024

I am sure that many of you will be fascinated to know the following nabbed of Wikipedia:-

"As part of its announcement of the electrification of both the Great Western Main Line and the Liverpool to Manchester (via Newton Le Willows) route, the Government has announced that when new Class 700 Thameslink rolling stock arrives from 2015-2018,[SUP][6][/SUP] Class 319s will be refurbished, fitted with air-conditioning, and transferred to the following two routes:

• to operate all suburban services between Oxford, Newbury, Reading and London
  • to operate Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street services[SUP][7][/SUP]
On 2 April 2014 it was announced that the first 14 units would be transferred to Allerton Depot in time to enter service between Manchester and Liverpool from the December 2014 timetable change.[SUP][8][/SUP] On 13 September 2014, the First Capital Connect franchise will be absorbed into a new a Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise operated by Govia Thameslink Railway."

No doubt football internet forums in those areas will be awash with moans about this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't remember much industrial action on the trains recently here, how are things going on DB ? The proposed week long strike may cause a few cancellations in the Fatherland

Is this the best you can come up with? Give me the Deutsche Bahn and a few days of strikes over the 365 days of misery the UK rail bods inflict on England any day. In fact, make that 364 as of course trains don't run on Xmas day.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Worst Crapital DisConnect.

Won't be missed.

Yeah, definately won't be missed apart from by those who lost their jobs as a result. And now are moving away from their home town because they can't afford to live down here and the work with the new company is all up north.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah, definately won't be missed apart from by those who lost their jobs as a result. And now are moving away from their home town because they can't afford to live down here and the work with the new company is all up north.

No-one has lost their job as yet, all staff will transfer under TUPE

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Great so the privitised railway becomes an even bigger monopoly. Where is the competition to drive down prices and improve service? Now it is just one company whose only interest is maki g money for shareholders.

That was my initial thought (and still is). Mainly owned by Go Ahead, the company creaming great profits from the general public (Brighton buses amongst others).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here