Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Still a bit early to celebrate.
Only a third of the electorate turned out at Tamworth
Another third will turn up at the GE - are the majority of the T*ry voters? 🤮

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, means tories are in for an absolute kicking at the forthcoming GE.
You'd hope so, but this is typical by-election behaviour. The Tory majority at Westminster is so big that Tory voters in by-elections can vote for someone else to 'send the government a message' safe in the knowledge that it won't actually make any real difference. It's just a glorified opinion poll. Come the GE Labour will be doing really well to hold either of those seats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'd hope so, but this is typical by-election behaviour. The Tory majority at Westminster is so big that Tory voters in by-elections can vote for someone else to 'send the government a message' safe in the knowledge that it won't actually make any real difference. It's just a glorified opinion poll. Come the GE Labour will be doing really well to hold either of those seats.
No government had ever lost a seat this safe. It’s the second highest swing. This clearly isn’t typical behavior.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No government had ever lost a seat this safe. It’s the second highest swing. This clearly isn’t typical behavior.
Well we'll see. I don't want any counting of chickens. Also the turnouts weren't exactly massive so swing percentages should be used with caution.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These are terrible results for the Tories, who will have their various factions plotting against Sunak as I type. Maybe we could get yet another unelected Prime Minister whose Economics knowledge stopped at year eight. That’ll be fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well we'll see. I don't want any counting of chickens. Also the turnouts weren't exactly massive so swing percentages should be used with caution.
I agree this should be treated with caution. But if you’ve got your eyes on winning the next GE this is what you need to be doing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if Nadine Dorries will emerge to announce that they would have won both if Johnson had still been leader?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The very fact that Tory voters didn’t bother voting says a lot. Nobody is counting chickens, but this is the biggest byelection loss since 1945.

Edit to add the Tories also lost votes to Reform U.K. who kept their deposit.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Dorries only resigned as she knew she would get mullered like this, gutless and a disgrace as she rarely attended parliament, only if forced to and did nothing for her constituents, but found plenty of time to work on Talk TV. She is emblematic of a failing democracy and well done to the people of mid Beds for punishing her the contempt she held for them

Lets totally wipe out the Tories for several generations, next year. Never again

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Could it be the country is finally waking up to what modern Conservatism is?

It remains to be seen what Labour can realistically offer in a world polluted with lobbyists and corporate interests being put before the public interest, but it is glorious to see that the scales have fallen from many eyes.

While the party contains the Rees-Mogg’s, the Lee Anderson’s and the Braverman’s, the vote must remain:

Anyone
But
Conservative

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The very fact that Tory voters didn’t bother voting says a lot. Nobody is counting chickens, but this is the biggest byelection loss since 1945.

Edit to add the Tories also lost votes to Reform U.K. who kept their deposit.

It does indeed. In terms of votes cast, in Tamworth the Labour vote was only up by 800, the Tory vote down by over 20,000!
In Mid Beds, the Labour vote was actually down by 250, the Tory vote down by 25,000! The Lib Dem vote was up by 1300.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
These are terrible results for the Tories, who will have their various factions plotting against Sunak as I type. Maybe we could get yet another unelected Prime Minister whose Economics knowledge stopped at year eight. That’ll be fun.

Sunak’s about the only grown-up they’ve got left. I hope to god he hangs on until the election, there’s still a lot of damage that could be done by these human wrecking balls.

I wish he’d just call an election now and put us all out of our misery.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Crikey. Didn’t see that coming.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Still a bit early to celebrate.
Only a third of the electorate turned out at Tamworth
Another third will turn up at the GE - are the majority of the T*ry voters? 🤮
Yep.

If they can be frightened enough by the right wing press then they’ll come out to try to save Tory bacon. But if business can convince the media that another 5 years of this shower is mad, then they may stay at home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Another great advert for political reform, turnout was illegally low.

Says more about the quality of our politicians than anything. Yes the tories are scum and are dry humping 95% of the populous, but labour aren't exactly knights in shining armour. More dweebs with bacofoil tank tops!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports