Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

butters for sale

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
Well I'm going to go against the grain and say I think it's appalling. Ok so he's fat slow and useless - but he's an Albion player. The other players (if they get to hear of it) won't think it's funny. Despite any disagreements they have amongst themselves Pros stick together over things like this, they'll think we're all a bunch of w@nkers.

What a crock of shit. He's getting paid a f*cking fortune for eating cakes.

F*ck him. :angry:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Guy Butters ..

Ok, played Golf with him on a Golf day, and he was a really decent bloke. Even he would admit , I am sure, that he has not done himself justice here, but he is one of us unfortunates, who struggle with our weight even though he may be fit. Examples are Jan Molby, Paul Gascoigne or Diego 'Cheating Bastard' Maradonna. Personally, I agree that he will not go down as one of our best signings, but at least give the guy a chance.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
you only struggle with weight if you eat too much and don't do enough exercise, it's a simple formula. There's no excuse Staffs sorry.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You don't know he eats only cakes and pies Simster - it just looks as if he does. He's probably a tortured soul who wants to mprove himself and is really hurt by all the 'fattist' abuse.

It's like the time we lost 0-3 at home to Oxford in the FA Cup. We were in the old 1st, Oxford in the old 3rd. It was embarrasing, humiliating and coild have been six. Early the following week an advert appeared in the Argus: "For sale - Eleven clockwork clowns. Some work better than others". The phone number given was for the club's office in Goldstone Lane.

Yeah ok things like that are good for a laugh and perhaps the players deserved it. But it didn't do much for player/fan relations. A couple of weeks after this the Brighton players celebrated a goal by flicking 'V' signs at sections of the crowd. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The thing that gets me is he gets paid for doing something that so many other people out there would give an eye tooth to do....He is a professional footballer and his job is doing the best he can.... so he should maintain the tool that he uses to do his job - which is his body....

However - everyone has tough times - its not up to the general spectator to kick a man whilst he's down, however easy or funny it is to do - putting him up for sale isn't constructive criticism - its cruel.... there has to be a better way to motivate someone....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So what you're saying is that it got the players motivated.

Good.

Dwayne is absolutely right, the formula for fitness is eating properly and exercising. Yes, some of us have to be more disciplined than others to accomplish this, but if I was a pro sportsman, I'd do what needed to be done.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If I was earning the sort of money that he's on, regardless of whether I was in the team or not, then I probably wouldn't feel motivated to improve my game, regardless of what supporters thought. With few notable exceptions, most footballers are journeymen - simply hired hands who come in, try to do a job for a manager, then leave. Most have as little loyalty to an employer as the rest of us would do in our professions outside football. One could even argue that since, post Stanley Matthews, a footballer's career is much shorter than most other professions, loyalty to any club is less as the need for career advancement/wage increases is greater due to the constraints of time.

As ever, it's a bit of both - compared with other players on a high wage, he's done precious little to justify the wages. But we've got him and he's got us (for better or for worse on both sides) - it's just a question for the Albion of getting the best out of the player. I don't believe that SC's the sort of manager to describe GB as 'useless', as Micky did with Dave Cameron. And I'm no more convinced that putting an advert on the internet criticising a player will have any more of a positive impact than doing the same thing on a noticeboard in any workplace.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Simster, I am overweight, yes I do not eat (or rather did not eat very well, did not do very much exersice, smoked, drank etc)

I now eat much better, do not smoke, go to the Gym (3 x a week) and drink (well yes I still drink):drink:

I have lost weight, but I still struggle with my weight, and no I don't snack, lie about what I have eaten, eat a salad at lunch and then sneak a portion of chips in.

I am not enourmous, I am 15 stone and 6'1'', I have no medical condition, as some claim that means I don't burn fat etc, I am normal (....ish), but I find if I eat the same (and I mean the same) as my wife in a month ( we tried this ), I put on weight and she stayed the same..... She is v slim, so all I am saying is, some people retain fat more than others, and I bet Guy Butters is a damn sight fitter than most on this site, thin or fat.

All I am saying (and I don't disagree with a lot of the critisim of GB) is that he should get a chance from us. He cannot be that bad, as Coppell is at least playing him pre-season....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't dispute any of what you say. But Guy Butters is not just a bit podgy, he's downright fat. And you are not a pro sportsman either - if you were, then you might consider paying a nutritionist and a gym instructor to get yourself in condition because you would have the time, the means and the necessity.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I don't subscribe to the 'He's eating fruit but is somehow overweight crowd' Anyone remember the Q & A posted on here with Guy last year.

Favourite Food : Fry Up.
If you weren't a footballer what would you be : I'd run a pub

Dosen't sound like your average fitness freak. I don't blame him though I blame Hinshelwood. A small piece of research would have highlighted the fact he wasnt' fit to play Div 1 football.

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
The motivation Guy needs is basically,slim down, start playing well or piss off!If he's not good enough why carry him?However if he gets fitter and starts proving his worth by all means give him a run in the 1st team but i can't see that happening to be honest!:dunce:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't disagree Simster, my argument is that he's a Brighton player and whilst I'm definitely not saying that we should praise the players or shut up I think that publicly slagging him off is the same as booing him when he's playing - counterproductive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would never boo a player when playing for us, but posting a for sale sign on a message board shouldn't really cause him a mental break down should it? ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
StaffsGull said:
Simster, I am overweight, yes I do not eat (or rather did not eat very well, did not do very much exersice, smoked, drank etc)

I now eat much better, do not smoke, go to the Gym (3 x a week) and drink (well yes I still drink):drink:

I have lost weight, but I still struggle with my weight, and no I don't snack, lie about what I have eaten, eat a salad at lunch and then sneak a portion of chips in.

I am not enourmous, I am 15 stone and 6'1'', I have no medical condition, as some claim that means I don't burn fat etc, I am normal (....ish), but I find if I eat the same (and I mean the same) as my wife in a month ( we tried this ), I put on weight and she stayed the same..... She is v slim, so all I am saying is, some people retain fat more than others, and I bet Guy Butters is a damn sight fitter than most on this site, thin or fat.

All I am saying (and I don't disagree with a lot of the critisim of GB) is that he should get a chance from us. He cannot be that bad, as Coppell is at least playing him pre-season....

U need to be more scientific in your efforts to lose weight, it's piss easy to do and have u looked at getting an ECA (Ephedrine, Caffiene and Aspirin) stack, that will supress your hunger and it works. As for a footballer they have all the doctors on hand a shot here and there, and prolonged work and could lose a stone in a month EASY PEASY.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Simster said:
I would never boo a player when playing for us, but posting a for sale sign on a message board shouldn't really cause him a mental break down should it? ???

Pedantic point - it's not a messageboard it's a public auction site. If it was just a message board I wouldn't have raised a protest. Slag him off here all you like.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Dwayne,

I have not problem with my weight or diet, I will lose more eventually, but I will do it by lifestyle and sustainable diet change, rather than suppliments etc. There is no quick fix IMHO to getting in shape, it is hard work....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
80's Seagull said:
Kinda know what you mean Troster. If we all got off his back and supported him (and yes he would take a lot of supporting), he might be more encouraged to turn in a good performance rather than just picking up his wages. Afterall he does wear the stripes.

I don't think we have had a chance to support him though. And I'm sure when he is on the pitch in the stripes he will get the support of the majority. Sure, there may be some irony displayed - as there was with Kitson - but I think most people are behind the 11 who are on the pitch representing us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here