Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus, train or the car to Falmer?

gazzamk

Apr 1, 2004
Near Milton Keynes
Any suggestions for those of us coming from MIlton Keynes are there to be any new park and ride sites or would it be better to park up in haywards heath area and get the train in

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Any suggestions for those of us coming from MIlton Keynes are there to be any new park and ride sites or would it be better to park up in haywards heath area and get the train in

Apart from move away from MK? :p

The Racecourse is a new one as far as Im aware and one in Lewes too.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think most of us are patiently waiting for the club to tell us the full travel arrangements rather than the snippets of information provided so far, i.e. how many per car and price to use one of the car parks, about the travel concessions and costs involved.

I'm impatiently waiting! I was going to be coming from Grinstead and my first attempt was mebee get to Lewes and hope I was going against most of the train crowd as I think that's going to be a nightmare - it's not the tube and I have to think it's every 15 mins max.

Now I'm moving to Horsham that idea is redundant so back to (im)mpatiently waiting

The fastest way to get from East Grinstead to Falmer by public transport is BUS to Haywards Heath, then TRAIN to Falmer (via Lewes or Brighton). You can also go via BUS to Uckfield and then BUS to Falmer.

Getting home is an entirely different bucket of fish, though. If you want later buses on a Saturday, best you get from Falmer to Three Bridges by train and then a bus from Three Bridges to East Grinstead. Weekday evening games? Nah.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that most peoples decision will be made based on how the travel vouchers are going to work, which at the moment nobody really knows but are just making a guess.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I've never heard any mention of a p&r in lewes. Where did get that from?

Maybe I'm wrong I was sure I heard about it on here. LB would know wouldn't he? If I am wrong my bad:blush:

Maybe I'm wrong I was sure I heard about it on here. LB would know wouldn't he? If I am wrong my bad:blush:
I think what you might be remembering was a plea from Richard Hebberd on the old Ask The Falmer Project Team forum for anyone who might know a suitable P&R site in the Lewes area to get in touch with the Club. I don't think anyone did.

"Full travel details are to be announced in due course, on the club website and in the local media."

It's now less than four weeks to the first game at the Amex (HOORAH!). I expect we might hear something soon.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think what you might be remembering was a plea from Richard Hebberd on the old Ask The Falmer Project Team forum for anyone who might know a suitable P&R site in the Lewes area to get in touch with the Club. I don't think anyone did.

Wishful thinking unfortunately. For lots of people coming from the East a P&R in Lewes would be ideal.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wishful thinking unfortunately. For lots of people coming from the East a P&R in Lewes would be ideal.

Yes. I am coming from Eastbourne with my two lads and picking up my brother at Ripe. It seems ridiculous to think we've got to travel into Brighton only to travel back along the way we've already come.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes. I am coming from Eastbourne with my two lads and picking up my brother at Ripe. It seems ridiculous to think we've got to travel into Brighton only to travel back along the way we've already come.

Yes, psychologically its annoying as from Eastbourne on a good run you could probably do it in 25 mins, but then you are going to have to drive past the AMEX to Mithras house which could be a real bundle. I didn't realise that the racecourse P&R is only at the planning stage.

As it stands I think initially I may park the car near Polegate station and then jump on the train. With the club leaving it all a bit late to confirm details, its going to be a learning curve for everyone.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Driving is the best option parking in the area is not a problem, there is A- around the village pond ,B- the pub car park ,and C- university car parking spaces which are mostly empty saturday afternoons and tuesday evenings

I've just read in the Argus that there will be temporary parking restrictions when events are held at The Amex , I think they were part of the planning permission. Double yellow lines and parking enforcement (stewards checking resident's permits) to only allow access to village residents will come into effect.

Driving is the best option parking in the area is not a problem, there is A- around the village pond ,B- the pub car park ,and C- university car parking spaces which are mostly empty saturday afternoons and tuesday evenings

I've just read in the Argus that there will be temporary parking restrictions when events are held at The Amex , I think they were part of the planning permission. Double yellow lines and parking enforcement (stewards checking resident's permits) to only allow access to village residents will come into effect.
Parking enforcement in Falmer Village is not just by stewards. It's an official restricted Parking Zone, with enforcement done by East Sussex County Council parking wardens. The University of Sussex spaces that are available to the Club will be charged (expensively) to supporters who pre-book. Details are yet to be announced, but the expectation is that 1901 Club members and pre-booked disabled supporters will have priority.

There will be fewer University spaces available for evening games.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Would it not be a good idea to have a seperate area on NSC where coach,rail and P&R travel to and from The Amex could be advertised therefore informing fans of the different choices and travel from their area? I read somewhere prices of Coach travel as far out as Midhurst and Petworth to the Ground but cannot find this information again.......would be nice if one of he links on NSC could be on a seperate sub-forum.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Parking enforcement in Falmer Village is not just by stewards. It's an official restricted Parking Zone, with enforcement done by East Sussex County Council parking wardens. The University of Sussex spaces that are available to the Club will be charged (expensively) to supporters who pre-book. Details are yet to be announced, but the expectation is that 1901 Club members and pre-booked disabled supporters will have priority.

There will be fewer University spaces available for evening games.

I've heard that the Uni spaces will be £10 a pop to encourage multiple occupancy.

Would it not be a good idea to have a seperate area on NSC where coach,rail and P&R travel to and from The Amex could be advertised therefore informing fans of the different choices and travel from their area? I read somewhere prices of Coach travel as far out as Midhurst and Petworth to the Ground but cannot find this information again.......would be nice if one of he links on NSC could be on a seperate sub-forum.
It would also be interesting to know which coaches will actually be running.

Stagedoortickets advertised a lot of timings, but this seemed to be mainly an attempt to whip up some interest. Whether enough advance bookings have actually materialised will no doubt affect what coaches actually run.

Stagedoortickets aren't a coach operator. They are an agency, who will be dependent on finding operators to run these services. What success are they having finding coaches to run the services?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I realise this option was excluded in the thread title but - and especially on this London-Brighton Bike Ride day - what about the cycling option?

For people out here, the cycle route goes Brighton Marina - Wilson Avenue- Racecourse - Woodingdean - The Drove - Falmer. 4.9 miles. Sounds easy. On paper.

However, the existence of (a) serious hills and (b) suicidally narrow road-widths after Woodingdean argues for option 23: the bus, taking a mere 49 minutes. Allegedly.

The impression remains that most of us are in for all sorts of problems and frusrations before arriving at a workable personal transport plan.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here