Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus crash on north street

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Has it actually been confirmed that somebody ran out in the road causing the bus to stop suddenly or have we jumped to this conclusion?

Jumping to a conclusion. But I think it's also a very good jump. My dad was a bus driver for nearly 14 years until he retired last year. He used to tell me about the near misses he used to have daily in the town centre. And more worryingly the people who used to make eye contact with him BEFORE just walking out in front of him. Almost as a dare. Almost as if pedestrians know buses have to stop so just belligerently walk out thinking they're in the right not realising a bus can't just jam the brakes on and stop otherwise there'll be every passenger on board hurtling towards the front windows.

I've been to London on day trips and if someone from Brighton were to walk out in front of one of them they'd be dead. London bus drivers just give blasts of the horn and carry on regardless.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Surprised no one has questioned how that much damage can be caused by a collision in what is a 20 mph speed limit?

If we're going to jump to conclusions i'd suggest speed and not a cyclist, was the problem.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surprised no one has questioned how that much damage can be caused by a collision in what is a 20 mph speed limit?

If we're going to jump to conclusions i'd suggest speed and not a cyclist, was the problem.

Not sure of that - bus must be several tons, so even at 20mph damage would be significant

Or, and far more likely, the driver of the bus has had a health issue at the wheel.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Do we often see buses speeding up North Street (a 20mph limit) in heavy rush hour traffic then?

Suspect there's a few incorrect conclusions being reached on here right now. There may well be a far simpler explanation. Let's hope everybody is away & receiving the appropriate care right now.

Are the Argus really based in Southampton these days then? Surely they must have some reporters in Brighton. Twitter has made sections of the media incredibly lazy, it must be said.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
im glad NSC has taken it upon themselves to draw conclusions of what caused the incident which may lead to someone being seriously injured.

If only there was some sort of policing team who's job it is to investigate such matters and save us from all the hard work of guessing based on no information at all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Do we often see buses speeding up North Street (a 20mph limit) in heavy rush hour traffic then?

Suspect there's a few incorrect conclusions being reached on here right now. There may well be a far simpler explanation. Let's hope everybody is away & receiving the appropriate care right now.

Are the Argus really based in Southampton these days then? Surely they must have some reporters in Brighton. Twitter has made sections of the media incredibly lazy, it must be said.

Argus is now based in WEYMOUTH! Quality of reporting has got worse (if that were possible).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

The front and rear ends of vehicles are designed to crumple to absorb the effect of impacts, so damage always looks far worse than you might expect - even at relatively low speeds. (This is one of the reasons why the injuries sustained in the Alton Towers roller coaster incident were so severe; it was a fairly low speed collision but those carriages aren't designed for impacts so the metal work crushed back into the passengers).

Also, a lot of the damage visible in the photos would most likely have been caused by the Fire & Rescue service as part of the casualty extrication.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My wife works at the hospital & has heard that the driver of the 2nd bus may have collapsed at the wheel?

Which is what they're saying on the Argus too - although it still hasn't been confirmed. No-one knows for sure but it still hasn't stopped a bunch of idiots saying that it's the fault of cyclists/pedestrians/speeding bus drivers/the Greens/Paul Barber (that hasn't happened yet, but it's only a matter of time)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People thoughtlessly running out into the road in North Street and at Churchill Square has been a problem for years, so IF that was proved to be a contributing reason for the accident, it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

The facilities for pedestrians crossing the road in that part of town are a complete mess.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The facilities for pedestrians crossing the road in that part of town are a complete mess.

The facilities are the same as at any major junction, are they not? I'm not sure what more could be done to stop people taking risks and crossing when they're not supposed to.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Totally agree. Regardless of this accident, I just cannot understand why we seem to be the only city on earth who thinks it's a good idea to have the red/green men on the poles on your side of the road. When there are more than 3 people waiting to cross, you can't see them! So many people wander across the lights at that junction by North and West Street I'm surprised more people aren't hurt.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Yes
North St & Western rd are starved of non bus traffic leaving the bus drivers a free run often at speeds higher than if cars were present causing congestion.
It is clear the 2nd bus was travelling too fast & too close to the one in front to stop in time otherwise it would have done....

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Not sure if anyone on here has jumped to any conclusions (for a change), someone suggested it may have been caused by someone running out in front of a bus, because that is a common problem in that area, and plenty of others agreed with that sentiment.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It is clear the 2nd bus was travelling too fast & too close to the one in front to stop in time otherwise it would have done....

No, no that's not clear at all.

Perhaps you should read some of the other posts on this thread as you seem to have missed a couple of quite pertinent ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here