Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus crash on north street

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My theory is that many passengers were standing up getting ready to get off the bus at the next stop. Some would have fallen down the stairs & as it was after 9 am there would have been elderly passengers downstairs who would sustain more severe injuries than youngsters who would be more steady on their feet.
I'm not sure that speed came into the equation but the shock of a sudden impact.

That was what caused the fatalities in the Cannon Street train crash; people were getting up ready to get out, as it was one of the old slam door type trains. The train was only going at 5 mph when it hit the buffers. Whichever radio station I heard it on (could have been Radio 2 or 4) said it was thought that the driver of the second bus had suffered a medical incident. I really do hope the casualties all make a full recovery. As for safety measures, I suppose they could ban all car traffic from North Street - presumably cars needing to leave town could go via North Road - we sometimes go that way after leaving the theatre at night, and possibly introduce one of those guided systems like Crawley has, though that would be extremely expensive and you'd have the issue of how pedestrians cross.

Last edited:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The driver was feeling unwell in the morning and was told to go home but said he'd be alright. He collapsed at the wheel jamming the accelerator and hitting the bus in front. No news on his condition yet.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I hope everyone recovers. Close to home, maybe there are people on this board or BHA supporters that have a friend or relative involved, or maybe involved themselves.
So all the best.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
One thing I hate about us as a nation / human race is we are always straight onto the 'who's fault was it?' Or 'what happened?'. I've known of people / friends who've lost their lives in RTA and people ask 'what happened?'. ****s me off - who gives a shit what happened, it's quite clear of the end result. Not enough questions on the injured on this thread and page after page of guessing bollocks :(

You're happy to continue to make mistakes?
Some of us will learn from them and improve ourselves
Test, Learn, Enhance is my mantra....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is a view that the driver in front did an emergency stop in order to halt the 'runaway' one behind thus saving it running up the pavement into shoppers/shop and the carnage that would have brought. Quick thinking if the case

Wow, where did that theory come from?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Not at all - maybe just let the dust settle a bit. And not everyone was trying to sort out how to stop mistakes from happening - more speculating bullshit - I think your comment on here received the most criticism, so suprised you're still chirping on tbh :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Now, I may be completely wrong here......but I'm guessing some people on an internet message board about football, who aren't at the scene, didnt witness the event and have no investigative background between them, probably won't manage to halt a future occurance of a bus hitting another bus by talking about it what the reckon might have happened.

Just a guess.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Any more news today?

The Argus website has news of the injured driver being put into a medically induced coma. He had reported sick that morning to two supervisors, but then drove.
The comments from some people seem to indicate drivers are under a lot of pressure to work when sick, due to loss of pay & disciplinary action, if more than 3 times in 13 weeks.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not at all - maybe just let the dust settle a bit. And not everyone was trying to sort out how to stop mistakes from happening - more speculating bullshit - I think your comment on here received the most criticism, so suprised you're still chirping on tbh :thumbsup:

Being able to accept constructive criticism is my 2nd mantra! Try it sometime

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Now, I may be completely wrong here......but I'm guessing some people on an internet message board about football, who aren't at the scene, didnt witness the event and have no investigative background between them, probably won't manage to halt a future occurance of a bus hitting another bus by talking about it what the reckon might have happened.

Just a guess.

But if just one could it would be worth it though!?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The Argus website has news of the injured driver being put into a medically induced coma. He had reported sick that morning to two supervisors, but then drove.
The comments from some people seem to indicate drivers are under a lot of pressure to work when sick, due to loss of pay & disciplinary action, if more than 3 times in 13 weeks.

Same policy with train drivers

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Being able to accept constructive criticism is my 2nd mantra! Try it sometime

Show me where the constructive criticism is and I will? In fact I take constructive criticism extremely well when offered. Patronising bollocks not so well...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Almost as bad a pilot with a known depressive illness being allowed to fly a plane. Terrible.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Obviously it's in no way comparable to the injuries to people (hoping for swift recoveries for all) but I was looking for photos of the front of the bus yesterday afternoon to find out which bus it was (ie whose name was on the front). Was worried it might have been Roy Chuter's, which is the same model with the same artwork/route number etc. It's actually the one named after Frank Furlong, who was for many years Brighton's chief fire officer. I know his son Barry very well (a big Albion fan who ran the Ranelagh blues pub in Kemp Town for over 20 years) and have exchanged a few texts with him about it. Best wishes to him and all those affected.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm
Obviously it's in no way comparable to the injuries to people (hoping for swift recoveries for all) but I was looking for photos of the front of the bus yesterday afternoon to find out which bus it was (ie whose name was on the front). Was worried it might have been Roy Chuter's, which is the same model with the same artwork/route number etc. It's actually the one named after Frank Furlong, who was for many years Brighton's chief fire officer. I know his son Barry very well (a big Albion fan who ran the Ranelagh blues pub in Kemp Town for over 20 years) and have exchanged a few texts with him about it.

Best wishes to him and all those affected.[/QUOTE

Deleted as misunderstood what you were asking

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if there are new guideline or legislation passed as bus/ coach drivers have a lot of lives in their hands. Maybe more medical checks and a look at the external pressure drivers are put under from their employer and job circumstances.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Feel very sorry for the bus driver and hope he makes a quick and full recovery. He is sure to feel a lot of guilt for what was an unavoidable accident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here