[Football] Burnley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Haha. This is wildly myopic.

The second yellow was warranted, if a little harsh. But any Burnley fan complaining about it, is conveniently ignoring that Heaton should not have been on the pitch at that stage. His first yellow, for bringing down Will Buckley outside the box when clean through on an open goal, was about the straightest straight red you could ever hope to see.
I can accept one mistake, when when the same ref makes a mistake twice in one game ... :p

Yes, Heaton should have been sent off in the first half. But the point stands, he didn't get away with it because the ref watched the TV at half time and decided to "re-referee" it by sending Heaton off at the first opportunity - however feeble a decision it would be.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think about 6 clubs within 20 miles of Burnley and then Liverpool Manchester.Leeds not far away. Amazing how the small clubs survive.
Within 20 miles, Accrington,. Blackburn, Preston, Rochdale, Oldham, Bolton, Bradford, possibly Huddersfield. If you make it 30 miles you can add Leeds, Man U, Man C, Oldham, Salford, Blackpool, Morecambe, Fleetwood, Wigan. It's pretty crowded up here!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Within 20 miles, Accrington,. Blackburn, Preston, Rochdale, Oldham, Bolton, Bradford, possibly Huddersfield. If you make it 30 miles you can add Leeds, Man U, Man C, Oldham, Salford, Blackpool, Morecambe, Fleetwood, Wigan. It's pretty crowded up here!

The North West is a huge hot bed of football. Go into a pub up here and football is the first topic of conversation and often the only one. It is pretty crowded too in terms of teams.
Burnley get very good support compared to the population of the town.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Went to a Sports event dinner a few years back and we had a very famous ex ref on our table who said that Dyche was the one the refs hated doing 4th official as he was a constant whinge in their ear all game. Also very good at putting things in refs mind like before the game saying things like ' I heard their player was out to get my player today, better watch that today ref' etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The North West is a huge hot bed of football. Go into a pub up here and football is the first topic of conversation and often the only one. It is pretty crowded too in terms of teams.
"Your support is quite good (with regard to the size of your town and the number of local competitor clubs), Your support is qui-ite good!"

Will challenge even the most accomplished North Stand syllable-squeezers but they can give it a whirl.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It must be noted that we look at the crowding of the North West from a rather opposite situation:

fans-support-local-teams.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

North West is a huge hot bed.......Huge yes, but hot bed are not the two words I'd choose :lolol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Never understood how so many pro clubs can be justified in such a condensed area. Outcry when one goes bust but clubs like Accrington who I agree have a good history get gates off 1500/2k and chairman just said more money should be handed down. To me clubs that can only attract these gates should be part time. Even Salford where huge sums were put in by United boys the initial interest has gone and now get 2500/3k gates.
I suppose it is no different to Whitehawk, Lewes and Worthing all playing in Div 1/2 and trying to get by on 2500k gates

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Never understood how so many pro clubs can be justified in such a condensed area. Outcry when one goes bust but clubs like Accrington who I agree have a good history get gates off 1500/2k and chairman just said more money should be handed down. To me clubs that can only attract these gates should be part time. Even Salford where huge sums were put in by United boys the initial interest has gone and now get 2500/3k gates.
I suppose it is no different to Whitehawk, Lewes and Worthing all playing in Div 1/2 and trying to get by on 2500k gates
There's merit in those points, but on the other hand I reckon the counter-arguments have more merit. For one, is it good for the game if the smaller clubs get squeezed out so the bigger clubs can have more money? For another, do the PL players have so much need of extra cash that they need to make the Stanley players go part time? There are all sorts of money problems in football, but the PL clubs having too little and the League 1 clubs having too much - not one of them. IMO.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
There's merit in those points, but on the other hand I reckon the counter-arguments have more merit. For one, is it good for the game if the smaller clubs get squeezed out so the bigger clubs can have more money? For another, do the PL players have so much need of extra cash that they need to make the Stanley players go part time? There are all sorts of money problems in football, but the PL clubs having too little and the League 1 clubs having too much - not one of them. IMO.

Fully understand that view. Whilst I think what PL earn is immoral I can just about see some justification when those players compete in a game that produces £1m plus gate income and is shown on TV in 100 plus countries round the world. Sad but can see how a PL pay can be justified but do for eg find it hard to hear Div 2 players earning £2/3/4 a week when there is very little interest in there games

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I would add that these clubs are not interchangeable. Accrington fans won’t automatically follow Burnley if their club goes bust. Same for Burnley fans. They won’t go to Old Trafford every other week should the worst happen. Also worth mentioning that the biggest clubs often claim they generate most of the income but conveniently forget that they have established their status and wealth within the pyramid structure. That’s why I am in favour of them all being transferred to a European closed shop league with no access to domestic football. Let’s see how long they last without leveraging the so called lesser clubs.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Whitehawk gates are closer to 250 than 2,500! Lewes and Worthing are getting the crowds in though.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was estimating what gates they would get if ever rose to league div 1/2

:thumbsup: it would help if I'd read your post properly in the first place. Don't Crawley usually get about 2 or 3k at home?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What I’ve never understood about Burnley FC is where all the money goes. They get something like £130m income every year but seem to spend very little and Dyche is always banging on about the financial constraints he’s working under. Something just doesn’t add up???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports