Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
vlcsnap-2020-07-27-10h06m44s451.jpg

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Thought the ref and VAR got the pen decision spot on, Rodriguez made a point to hook his leg around Stephens knowing that contact would be made. Glad VAR failed Burnley as they are a bunch of thugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Wood was also offside when the corner was taken ....
1ee2ea673ccdce9893458aa5bb2ded3b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood can’t be offside from a corner kick, only when the ball goes to phase 2, which he wasn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In fairness to the ref, he pretty much wasn't giving much for any 50/50s all over the pitch.
So should have been no surprise that he would expect more intent to give a penalty.

Unusually decent performance from him, I thought.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Think we got a bit lucky with the penalty incident but the other decisions were spot on.

You can't have players impeding the goalie on the goal line in a blatant offside position no matter how far away the keeper is from the ball, it would have been a farce to let that stand. And it's almost impossible to prove whether the ball crossed the line without a camera directly in line with it and then if we checked everyone of those, a game would go on forever, that had to stand.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I was surprised the Stephens penalty wasn't given - I'd guess that would be given as a pen (and then backed by VAR) 2 out of 3 times. Think we were lucky.
Once it was given though, I was not surprised that VAR backed the ref. It wasn't a clear and obvious enough error to be overturned.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Rodriguez knew Stephens was behind him, so hooked his foot around Stephen’s leg, knowing they’d both fall forwards.

Disallowed goal, player offside was interfering with play.

MOTD showed a graphic which had a vertical line proving the whole of the ball didn’t cross the line.

Where did you buy those BHA glasses from - _must get myself a pair

The Connolly goal was definately a goal. No way had the ball gone out

Stephens incident was a stone wall penalty

The controversial incident was the Burnley second goal.. By the letter of the law - It was correctly knocked off. He blocked the keeper off so definately interfering with play. The rules are the rules. Keeper was never getting there anyhow but that really isn't the point.

Raging if given against you but pleased if it goes for you

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Think we got a bit lucky with the penalty incident but the other decisions were spot on.

You can't have players impeding the goalie on the goal line in a blatant offside position no matter how far away the keeper is from the ball, it would have been a farce to let that stand. And it's almost impossible to prove whether the ball crossed the line without a camera directly in line with it and then if we checked everyone of those, a game would go on forever, that had to stand.

I'm often amazed at the amount of times, refs and linesmen give throw ins.
However whole of the line and whole of the ball is very difficult to judge.

However it is not as amazing as the amount of fans around me in the NW corner, who cannot see that a stationary ball (for an opposition corner) is in fact not fully outside the quadrant,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where did you buy those BHA glasses from - _must get myself a pair

The Connolly goal was definately a goal. No way had the ball gone out

Stephens incident was a stone wall penalty

The controversial incident was the Burnley second goal.. By the letter of the law - It was correctly knocked off. He blocked the keeper off so definately interfering with play. The rules are the rules. Keeper was never getting there anyhow but that really isn't the point.

Raging if given against you but pleased if it goes for you

Sky showed the penalty incident several times whilst waiting for the VAR decision. It also showed a couple of different angles, so if my BHA glasses are biased then blame Sky for their camera angles.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Penalty looked a stonewall in real time. Replays more accurately show no chance. Right call.

Was never off the pitch for our second. Right call.

Disallowed goal was harsh becaused unimpeded, Ryan would still have had no chance. Still, blame their player for expecting us to have someone on the post. Right call.

I don't see how we were fortunate at all to be honest, I think we're just all so desperate for that game to finally come where we think we've got away with one.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Can see why they disallowed it, but also empathise and be fuming if it happened to us. Guess we had one chalked off very early in the season (Burn off?) for similar.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Don’t see the problem with the disallowed goal to be honest.

It’s offside ... end of

He was in an offside position that had a direct impact on the goalkeeper. Not a harsh decision, not a tight decision and certainly not unlucky. The debate about whether Ryan would have got to it is completely irrelevant the fact is that he was in an offside position and directly effecting the movement of the goalkeeper.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Stephens push was standard "Umpires Call" and shows the lunacy of VAR on penalty decisions and the absolute requirements for refs to use the screens so the VAR aren't worried about making their mate look stupid.
Connolly goal should have VAR nowhere near it and rely solely on the officials. Until you get goal line technology on all pitch perimeters then most calls will be guesswork.
Disallowed goal is offside in every interpretation I have seen over the years. The player's role was solely to block off Ryan and there was even an argument for it being a foul for obstruction, not just offside.

For me, the way forward is simple. No stupid lines - just a couple of naked eye looks. If you want to go linesman's call like cricket then fine. Penalties that look like wrong decisions should always go to the ref on the monitors. Same for red cards. The quest for perfect decisions has actually ended up with shocking decisions made WITH technology. Stop trying to be perfect and just be consistent. Or, and this is my new campaign slogan, BURN IT WITH FIRE.

No such offence anymore ...

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
It was not a penalty. Rodriguez knew what he was doing with the age old trick of putting your leg across the defending player.

Ref was wise to it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fortunate that I’m not a ref then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It never ceases to amaze me how many people who regularly watch football and consider themselves supporters of the game lack knowledge about the basic laws of the game. you can not be offside by any means of restarting the game after it has left the field of play, goal kick, throw in or corner. It's the same when people question a penalty taker hits the post and is first to the ball and touches it again, he/she has touched the ball twice, indirect free kick to the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here