Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley taken over

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The worry is that we don't know yet whether ALK are planning to put money into the club for transfers, or whether they plan to borrow money. We don't have any debt at present.

The other worry is that ALK have borrowed money to buy the club and put the shares in as security in an otherwise dormant company. Are they going to do what the Glazers did at Man U and take money out rather than put money in?

We hope that ex-Chairman Mike Garlick has more idea than to sell to the wrong people! Most of us are optimistic.

PS - Barnes cost £450,000. Dyche gave that figure in a post-match interview the following season. And Dyche does seem to have a better record with cheaper signings than with more expensive ones.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The worry is that we don't know yet whether ALK are planning to put money into the club for transfers, or whether they plan to borrow money. We don't have any debt at present.

The other worry is that ALK have borrowed money to buy the club and put the shares in as security in an otherwise dormant company. Are they going to do what the Glazers did at Man U and take money out rather than put money in?

We hope that ex-Chairman Mike Garlick has more idea than to sell to the wrong people! Most of us are optimistic.

PS - Barnes cost £450,000. Dyche gave that figure in a post-match interview the following season. And Dyche does seem to have a better record with cheaper signings than with more expensive ones.

Understandable.

Are they going to be the lying Hicks & Gillett or the hated Glazer’s, who essentially bought EPL clubs through a 100% leveraged process of lumping the purchase debt on the club .... with huge annual interest payments taking a chunk out of club income?

Or a Fenway Sports Group?

My instinct is positive. Garlick loves the club so probably wouldn’t sell to shysters and he’s staying on for a while for a transition.

In addition, the new owners would lose heavily, as Lerner and Short did, if they screw this up. They can only be incentivised to make this work.

Plus they’re not inheriting a club with ludicrously onerous player contracts given to a disparate bunch of gold diggers .... Sunderland, Villa and QPR.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Dyche so underrated for his work at Burnley. Easily keeping them in the Prem each season while spending very little on transfers
Agree, Burnley plod on without spending a fortune.
Wouldn't have been a popular appointment at Brighton, why is that? We have as much chance to get relegated as Burnley. Dyche is a no nonsense manager who gets the best out of what he has. Is Potter an improvement on that? Has Potter improved results since Hughton? Potter may be long term but in the short term Dyche has done wonders at Burnley.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Let's hope it doesn't end up like Swansea. They had American investment and it seemed to be the start of the their troubles.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree, Burnley plod on without spending a fortune.
Wouldn't have been a popular appointment at Brighton, why is that? We have as much chance to get relegated as Burnley. Dyche is a no nonsense manager who gets the best out of what he has. Is Potter an improvement on that? Has Potter improved results since Hughton? Potter may be long term but in the short term Dyche has done wonders at Burnley.

Short term? He’s one of the longest serving managers and has also overseen a relegation. Yes, he has got them promoted a couple of times as well, Potter hasn’t had to do that for us....yet. Potter got us our best ever finish in the PL last season and we are not half way through this season. Unfair to compare them yet imo.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Burnley but it is likely this injection of cash and Dyche’s experience will keep them well away from the relegation zone by the end of the season. It looked like they may be involved until very recently too :down:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I’m convinced the Barnes abuse must of only come from one section of the Amex, I certainly didn’t hear anything near what I’ve read on here.

I did not rate Barnes, as he was always moaning at other players and the ref and spent a lot of time sulking when things did not go his way, but never heard fans slagging him off around me. Think you can not rate someone, but still support him when on the pitch playing for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I have a Burnley supporting friend and he told me a few years back that he would go and support Blackburn if they ever had foreign owners, he is not responding to my texts recently??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Short term? He’s one of the longest serving managers and has also overseen a relegation. Yes, he has got them promoted a couple of times as well, Potter hasn’t had to do that for us....yet. Potter got us our best ever finish in the PL last season and we are not half way through this season. Unfair to compare them yet imo.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Burnley but it is likely this injection of cash and Dyche’s experience will keep them well away from the relegation zone by the end of the season. It looked like they may be involved until very recently too :down:

I agree with everything you posted but i am trying to get across we would never, as fans, probably consider the likes of Dyche even though he does a better job at Burnley with the resources he has to work with than our Premier league managers have with our resources. Why is that? Such an underrated manager.

Just to add if we ever got rid of Potter i probably wouldn't consider Dyche....there just seems to be a mental block wanting him as our manager and yet he does so well at Burnley.

Last edited:

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I did think it might be helpful if they go all in on some big money strikers and let those two go. Not sure Barnes would be happy to come back after his abuse here though.

I know his cousin, and while I have never specifIcally asked her if he would ever consider a return to the Albion, she said he loved it here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with everything you posted but i am trying to get across we would never, as fans, probably consider the likes of Dyche even though he does a better job at Burnley with the resources he has to work with than our Premier league managers have with our resources. Why is that? Such an underrated manager.

Just to add if we ever got rid of Potter i probably wouldn't consider Dyche....there just seems to be a mental block wanting him as our manager and yet he does so well at Burnley.

Wouldn’t you put CH in the same bracket as Dyche? Dyche is probably a better PL manager in fairness but I tend to think of them as very alike. Agreed, I wouldn’t like Dyche here because as I keep saying, I just want to be entertained and being pragmatic, hard to beat with a bit of gamesmanship thrown in doesn’t float my boat. I am happier with the certainly riskier football that Potter has brought.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
From the Athletic

It has been more than 14 months in the making but it appears there is about to be white smoke before Burnley’s takeover.

New owners in the form of ALK Capital, headed by American Alan Pace, are imminent and there is plenty of optimism as thoughts now turn to 2021. The final details are understood to be close to being agreed and cannot come soon enough — Sean Dyche’s paper-thin squad needs adding to in January.

Burnley’s bench in the 1-0 win over Sheffield United was another reminder of how quickly Dyche’s squad can look threadbare. It was made up of two goalkeepers, four defenders, two central midfielders and one striker, the inexperienced under-23s forward, Joel Mumbongo.

Missing from the squad were five important first-team players Jay Rodriguez (knee injury), Matej Vydra (back), Dwight McNeil, (groin), Johann Berg Gudmundsson (hamstring) and Jack Cork (ankle).

Those five would dramatically change the outlook of the bench if fit but it is becoming a common theme that, when it looks like Burnley are just about to have a fully fit squad, they are hit by another spurt of injuries. The latest casualty being Charlie Taylor, who appeared to pull his hamstring after nine minutes.

Since football restarted in June, Dyche has been working wonders with the smallest squad in the top flight and one that has been further compromised by a consistent run of injuries. At the end of the summer window, the Burnley boss made it clear that he still felt he was two or three players short. At least.

There was some irony that as Burnley prepared for their final game of 2020, it was against Sheffield United, the side that ALK had unsuccessfully tried to purchase in 2019 after the court ruling that Kevin McCabe had to sell his 50 per cent stake to Prince Abdullah.

Fast forward to yesterday, Pace and his team were working hard, having arrived in Lancashire at the start of the week, to seal the deal to take the reins at Turf Moor. The group are not allowed access to the club until the takeover has been officially completed, however, and therefore could not attend the 1-0 victory on Tuesday night.

Talks have progressed positively over the past few weeks and ALK’s position was made even stronger after the second group in talks with the club, led by Mohamed El Kashashy and Chris Farnell, pulled out of the race last week after growing frustrated having not spoken to owner Mike Garlick for six weeks.

Heading into Christmas, ALK talks were at an advanced stage, with only legal sign-off and final Premier League approval required. The determination to secure the deal before the January window, or as early as possible next month, meant work has continued throughout the Christmas period. There was a small hope there would be an announcement before Burnley’s game against Leeds United. That proved too soon and ahead of the game against Sheffield United, The Athletic understands that there were still a few documents to be completed.

That is expected to be sorted within the next 48 hours and ALK hope to be in situ before Burnley’s next game against Fulham on January 3.

ALK have yet to talk to Dyche, who once again confirmed on Tuesday night that he has yet to be spoken to by the current board about the potential new owners about just how close the takeover is. ALK are known to be big fans of Dyche and their first job will be to understand his vision and what areas of the squad and players he believes the club should target.

They will still be starting the transfer window somewhat on the back foot, however. Clubs will have had strategies in place for a number of months and targets finalised heading into the window. Ideally, ALK would have liked to have been in place well in advance of January.

During Pace’s discussions with the board, the club’s original January transfer plans, pre-takeover, had been discussed as part of his due diligence and also to align strategies. He will assume the position of chairman and is moving to Lancashire to oversee the day-to-day operations, becoming the ultimate decision-maker at the club.

Burnley’s upturn in form, taking 14 points from their last eight games, moving them out of the relegation zone and providing them with a small cushion on the teams below, has lifted morale from the gloom of two points from their opening seven games. The faith that Dyche placed in his squad at the start of the season has paid off.

ALK are not going to make bundles of money available in a panic to try and help Burnley survive this season. But they are keen to invest in the upcoming window and back Dyche, who they see as a big part of their plans moving forward.

One of the elements that made Burnley an attractive proposition is the job that the present board have done in making the club sustainable. ALK are not planning on ripping up that model, only to push it forward.

As discussed in the sensible transfers piece this month, the two obvious areas lacking in depth are central defence and, more prominently, wide midfield. That has been highlighted over the Christmas period with Burnley missing all of their wide players (McNeil, Gudmundsson and Robbie Brady) for the trip to Leeds and having to play Erik Pieters (left-back) and Josh Benson (central midfielder) instead.

Burnley’s scouting department headed by technical director Mike Rigg, one of the areas the board invested heavily in over the last 18 months, have been hard at work trying to identify the players which suit their model and Dyche’s playing style. ALK have plenty of expertise in player recruitment products having invested in the companies AiScout and Player Lens.

The exciting question is how Burnley can now approach this market. The winter window is generally a difficult one for all clubs with player availability limited and prices inflated but Dyche signed Josh Brownhill from Bristol City a year ago and he has proved one of the signings of his eight-year reign. It will be interesting to see how Dyche will operate in the market knowing there will be sufficient financial backing. It opens doors for players who may not have been available under the current board, although prices may be impacted by other clubs seeking to take advantage of Burnley’s new investment.

This is a key moment in Burnley’s history and the hope is that the January transfer window should provide the first positive glimpse of what is to come.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is there an American equivalent to Burnley :eek:

Ecorse, Michigan, apparently. Worse than Swanny's flat.

ecorse.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here