Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke on his way out? Update: Gone

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
New manager looks to be the one doing the signings for January then, wonder how much money this is going to cost ? Just shows when you try and do things on the cheap it works out more expensive in the long run

Throw money around heedlessly and the long run ends in a brick wall. Cf. Pompey.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We also signed a proven Championship goalscorer who is supposed to have a bit of presence. Turned out to be a dud but nothing is guaranteed to work out.

Hardly proven, how man goals was it 15..... 20 plus is proven I would suggest, plus if you look at his previous record, you could argue it was a lucky year. Still in fairness he did it with a relegated team which was also good going.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So pleased about Bloom restructuring and giving player recruitment under the control of the Manager whoever that will be, but they then can rise or fall by their own signings, as it should be.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon it's gonna be sherwood then..... Be over the moon with that

Why, just out of interest? I am yet to see a convincing case re Sherwood, but I am all ears

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Feel better now. More pleased about this than Hyypia going.

My best guess is was that Sami Hyypia (remember him) was over-ruled on the signings. Hinted that the personalities of the players were not looked into. These things do not figure in the stats. Stats indicate technique: something that can be learned. Intuition must play a part but the judgement/perception has to be right. It is quite a common problem in management in creative industries. And in politics e.g. Gordon Brown.

Onwards and upwards.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I, like 99% of people on here, have no idea if DB was doing a good or a bad job. I accept the end product was not good but only a few select people have any idea of how he performed.

Quite often we see NSC at its finest. In my opinion the unedifying witch hunt surrounding David Burke by people who had no knowledge of what he did or how he did it was an example of NSC at its worst.

You are judged by results. His were poor WRT recruitment. He got fired. I think we all have a pretty good idea of how he performed.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Getting sacked on Chrimbo Eve! Tony Bloom has just gained a few more kudos points in my book. I'm not even bothering to speculate on who our new manager is going to be as its unlikely to be anyone mentioned so far and will probably surprise us all again. Fair play to TB for giving the departing staff a fair crack of the whip to make it work but clearly like us he's had enough.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Bloom: "Hey, Burkey - here's a Christmas present Santa left for you..."
Burke: "Ohh great - but it's empty - it's just the sack..."
Bloom: "Yup."

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hardly proven, how man goals was it 15..... 20 plus is proven I would suggest, plus if you look at his previous record, you could argue it was a lucky year. Still in fairness he did it with a relegated team which was also good going.

Ok maybe I worded it a bit too strongly. But my point is to get a fully proven goalscoring forward 6ft + you are going to have to part with a lot more than 500k or whatever we paid for COG.

To me the fault for our current situation goes Hypia > Reduced Budget/Sales of top players > Burke failing to build a squad/replace departing players within that budget. Doesn't absolve Burke of blame as ultimately he failed to do his job, but I'm not sure how easy a job it was in the first place - and previous years show he was capable of helping to give us a decent squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Burke wasn't sacked before Tony went to Australia. So it's a recent decision, possibly prompted by the new managerial appointment.

So, Pulis or Sherwood I guess.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thinking Aloud (I could change my mind)

Why, just out of interest? I am yet to see a convincing case re Sherwood, but I am all ears

Got to be favourite now? I have an open mind. I prefer him to Pulis and Hughton.

Sherwood could not get the formulae right at Spurs. Chopped and changed a bit and could outwitted by Premier League managers of vast experience and better players. I think Spurs loss would be Albion's gain if it occurs. I don't rate the style of their current Manager, the heavy pressing game tires the players too much. Same applies to Rosler.

I think McDermott is too old.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Throw money around heedlessly and the long run ends in a brick wall. Cf. Pompey.

Slightly different, there was no FFP when Pompey were spunking money all over the place and also they were spending money they didnt have. Bloom on the other hand does have the moolah as has been proven by the £200million+ he's already invested in the Albion. There is absoulutely no comparison to be made imo.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So pleased about Bloom restructuring and giving player recruitment under the control of the Manager whoever that will be, but they then can rise or fall by their own signings, as it should be.

Well said. This is the key point IMHO. We have now cleared the way to hire a manager, not a coach. I'll drink to that. About 2 months too late, but fantastic news.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Burke wasn't sacked before Tony went to Australia. So it's a recent decision, possibly prompted by the new managerial appointment.

So, Pulis or Sherwood I guess.

Tony flew back home yesterday i believe. Probably a new manager soon. Can see Jones going and new manager getting in his team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here