• OUT

Votes: 156 77.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fact that at the time of writing a higher percentage want Burke out rather than Hyypia is, for me, very strange.
As I understand his role, Burke is given a budget by Tony Bloom and a list of the type of players, or specific players, that the manager wants. He then presents a list to the manager of the players within budget and it is then the managers decision as to who to try and get. If the manager says I want type x player, Burke presents a list of players who have been identified as being capable of playing that role, the fact the manager then can't get that player playing well is not the fault of anyone but the manager.
If the system is as you say, that is exactly why it's all gone tits up. The Manager should be the one to appoint a chief scout, who will be answerable to the manager, not anyone else. The board (or TB and PB) may decide a player is too expensive and not sanction the deal, which is as it should be. The manager (and the chief scout) should be given a pretty fair idea of the size of the playing budget, anyway.

NO lists;
NO "looking for a type of player"
and above all -
NO Director of Football !

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If the system is as you say, that is exactly why it's all gone tits up. The Manager should be the one to appoint a chief scout, who will be answerable to the manager, not anyone else. The board (or TB and PB) may decide a player is too expensive and not sanction the deal, which is as it should be. The manager (and the chief scout) should be given a pretty fair idea of the size of the playing budget, anyway.

NO lists;
NO "looking for a type of player"
and above all -
NO Director of Football !

The system is in place so that if the manager leaves (soon hopefully) he does not take the scouting team with him.
Seems to work at other clubs and on the continent so why not here?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Obika, Andrews, Augustein, Colunga, that other useless spaniel at the end of last season, Gardner and the list goes on. Absolutely OUT. Our recruitment system is a joke. Can you ever imagine Oscar or Hyypia coming in and saying 'I want Obika" or "I need a box to box midfielder and this reserve player called Gardner from Villa is the man I want. Get him". No got them because they were on a excel spreadsheet this Burke has and they were in Budget. Can't believe the players we've let go too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obika, Andrews, Augustein, Colunga, that other useless spaniel at the end of last season, Gardner and the list goes on. Absolutely OUT. Our recruitment system is a joke. Can you ever imagine Oscar or Hyypia coming in and saying 'I want Obika" or "I need a box to box midfielder and this reserve player called Gardner from Villa is the man I want. Get him". No got them because they were on a excel spreadsheet this Burke has and they were in Budget. Can't believe the players we've let go too.

Sums up Burke's dealings well. OG and SH didn't demand the players you mention, nor others. Obika is just one example of Burke's fine work, but almost hilariously is a parody of Burke's 'talent' spotting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here