• Fence

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree.

Sort of agree, but the trouble is, that apart from say Crofts and McCourt, that's the list of our only true Championship quality players.

The other unmentioned names aren't good enough to sustain winning football in the Championship. We also really lack Championship-level finishers .... look at McCourt's beautiful work yesterday, wasted by comatose forwards.

Needs some serious recruitment in January.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You only have to look at the Manager playing Kaz as a centre midfielder and asking the full backs to cross when the wingers could do it better. Hyppia is inept, clueless, inexperienced, unable to read a game and then change it, unenthusiastic & lacking motivation on the touchline. Any old school Manager would be able to muster better from our squad, they may be average but SH should be learning the game in the Conference, not with us

Very true this, I was watching Calderon yesterday and a number of times in the second half he was isolated on the right wing with no support and expected to do it all on his own and still set up chances. In the last few seasons we've had our full backs getting forward but they've had the support of the wide men but everything has gone narrow now and it's not working expecting them to do all the wing play and get back and defend.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I believe that the way the club is set up on the recruitment side is the right one. Clubs change their managers so often that giving them sole responsibility for scouting and recruitment is an expensive disaster waiting to happen. You have to have continuity - we cannot keep making wholesale changes to a squad every time a new manager comes in.

That said, the club did exactly that this season for whatever reason (money no doubt), which I was surprised at.

Looking objectively, David Burke was instrumental in getting Cat 1 status for the academy and his team appear to be making some very astute additions to the development squad and U18's. He gets a big tick for that.

The first team - I have read a lot on here about how bad the players are that we have signed over the summer. Is it fair to judge them yet though considering that the many are saying that the coach is "clueless" and "playing the wrong system" and "playing players out of position"? I suspect that most of the summer signings are better players than we have seen so far for a variety of reasons. For example, our strikers are getting slagged off for not scoring, but how many of the 20 odd attempts on goal yesterday came from the strikers? If the strikers are playing too wide they are unlikely to score. We have been having the same discussion on this subject for several seasons re CMS, who we know can score goals, but we were not playing to his strengths under Gus and he has been dogged by injury pretty much since then. I have read comments to suggest that Baldock and Colunga played well yesterday (not CoG!), other than the Paddy laying it on a plate for them incident (that comes from a lack of confidence I would suggest).

The recruitment system is using "the wisdom of crowds" to make recruitment decisions, which is the correct way to go. My suspicion is that the crowd we have are perhaps not wise enough where the first team is concerned! I would contend though that we cannot judge that yet - the clamouring for Sami to go has reached a point of no return as far as I can see, which is very sad, and any confidence the team have on the pitch has evaporated. If someone has to go, then it must be him. If another manager cannot get this group of players playing well enough, then a review of the "recruitment crowd" should also be made, but I suspect that the likes of Holla, Baldock, Colunga, Gardner are much better than we have seen so far.

So, DB to stay for now. But we must not return to the manager controls all recruitment scenario - that will not work.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Who was responsible for Ulloa, Bridge, Stephens. There's arguments for good and bad players. The squad is better than the position we are in and that is down to the organisation of the team which is down to the manager!!
Bridge was a loan and a rare cheap loan,Stephens has hardly played.Yes Ulloa was a bargain,but I stated 1 in 4 are good roughly and the crap signings far out weigh the good,wasn't Dobbie on ridiculous wages and played about two games?
This is a big issue at the club as its us fans that pay these wages,well with the help of bloom obviously.

Remember bergkamp and loads of others come to think of it😀

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How many of you lot were moaning about us not having signed anyone, half way through the transfer window? Maybe some last resorts were signed to keep the fans happy.
Does Anybody in this thread think they couldn't manage this squad to a higher position in this division, Simply by playing players in their correct position?
That's what the club does though...Leave it as late as possible while the fans moan and when we do get players in we're grateful and happy...Sadly getting cheap poor signings is desperation as it seems the club don't understand the"PLANNING"when it comes to getting the right players in even though they've had 3 months to do it.

They keep blabbing on about taking their time getting the right players in and then as expected they're shite and last min options.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Sort of agree, but the trouble is, that apart from say Crofts and McCourt, that's the list of our only true Championship quality players.

The other unmentioned names aren't good enough to sustain winning football in the Championship. We also really lack Championship-level finishers .... look at McCourt's beautiful work yesterday, wasted by comatose forwards.

Needs some serious recruitment in January.
Crofts isn't that good anymore and has offere very little when he's played to be honest

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The fact that at the time of writing a higher percentage want Burke out rather than Hyypia is, for me, very strange.
As I understand his role, Burke is given a budget by Tony Bloom and a list of the type of players, or specific players, that the manager wants. He then presents a list to the manager of the players within budget and it is then the managers decision as to who to try and get. If the manager says I want type x player, Burke presents a list of players who have been identified as being capable of playing that role, the fact the manager then can't get that player playing well is not the fault of anyone but the manager.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just can't understand what he see's in the present crop he brought in, bring back Barry Lloyd he couldn't do any worse

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
At the end of the day Burke/Barber made a big deal out of being judged at the end of the transfer window and not before.

Well we have given the new players two months and we are sitting in 21st and looking clueless.

That says it all for me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At the end of the day Burke/Barber made a big deal out of being judged at the end of the transfer window and not before.

Well we have given the new players two months and we are sitting in 21st and looking clueless.

That says it all for me.

Wheres the updated poll on the female announcer :lol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hasn't he been credited with major work at the Academy though ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wheres the updated poll on the female announcer :lol:

I have to say I thought she was a little better at first, although her pitch definitely goes up when she gets a little excited. Work in progress.

Scapegoat

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
The fact that at the time of writing a higher percentage want Burke out rather than Hyypia is, for me, very strange.
As I understand his role, Burke is given a budget by Tony Bloom and a list of the type of players, or specific players, that the manager wants. He then presents a list to the manager of the players within budget and it is then the managers decision as to who to try and get. If the manager says I want type x player, Burke presents a list of players who have been identified as being capable of playing that role, the fact the manager then can't get that player playing well is not the fault of anyone but the manager.

If that's the case and I was Hyypia I'd say I don't want any of them as they're shit, what then?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Overall, he's had a shocker. You can't give someone who's new to managing in the English leagues such a poor squad and expect him to match what had been achieved over the last 2 seasons.

But you would hope the new manager might have an idea how to f**king play the game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don't think we'll have the chance to find out whether he can or not. He'll go before Burke.

Think we've already had the chance and he's failed. Tactics are simply wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here