Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Hopes

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
You do have to wonder why we have loaned them the one player who could turn their current slump around.....

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the move, as far as I can tell he wasn't that bothered when playing for us amd if he was on good money here then presumably he must be sucking up equivalent funds at Palace. Tbh, instead of concentrating on how players we have shipped out will boost other teams promotion challenge I'd rather focus on how the players we have brought in will boost ours :thumbsup:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I just hope an agreement is in place that he cannot play against us because we all know what happens when former players return to play against us.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I cant see a problem, wouldnt make our match day squad, and he cant play against us, frees up wages......hope he can score goals there so they will buy him outright....my biggest fear is that he wont perform, and we will have to take him back

Are you f***ing serious?

Paddy Finucane

WW2 Hero
Jul 26, 2004
Redhill
A considerably more measured response than the WUM who started this thread. Tbh I assumed he was a palarse fan on a mission and just added him to my ignore list.

As an aside we can now see the picture of Dobbie in the Brighton & Hove Jobs ad in the matchday programme as a "come and get me" advert from the man himself. :lol:

Gus is right though - sometimes it just doesnt work for a player and a club. Dobbie is still a good footballer. He may well shine for palarse although I have reservations about their manager - he may just be choosing the wrong time to decide to do it his way. I can see them becoming increasingly inconsistant and I am beginning to fancy our chances of overtaking them. At the end of the day it is about what we do not them - with or without Dobbie/Murray et al.

Fine - you're entitled to your opinion but I'm a STH since 1st year of Withdean - founder member of the North West Ruckers at the Soldstone and no Wind Up Merchant.

I live in Redhill and Unfortunately Palace fans are everywhere here so was dreading this happening - mark my words this will come back to haunt us.

As I said in my original post - would Ferguson do that with Man City?

DJ leon has it right - 'Anyways, the dice has been loaded and can now be rolled. It's more probable that this will work out for us, but if it doesn't and Palace take the last play off place from us because Dobbie was a success. Well. I'm sure everyone who sees no problem with this decision won't be changing their mind.'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fine - you're entitled to your opinion but I'm a STH since 1st year of Withdean - founder member of the North West Ruckers at the Soldstone and no Wind Up Merchant.

I live in Redhill and Unfortunately Palace fans are everywhere here so was dreading this happening - mark my words this will come back to haunt us.

As I said in my original post - would Ferguson do that with Man City?

DJ leon has it right - 'Anyways, the dice has been loaded and can now be rolled. It's more probable that this will work out for us, but if it doesn't and Palace take the last play off place from us because Dobbie was a success. Well. I'm sure everyone who sees no problem with this decision won't be changing their mind.'

"Palace fans are everywhere." Is that a bit of an exaggeration for a club with only 13,000 regular supporters?

Paddy Finucane

WW2 Hero
Jul 26, 2004
Redhill
You can't have Tevez I'm afraid - Man U offered him a contract eventually but by then they'd pissed him off so much he'd already agreed to join City - Ferguson very much wanted to keep him...............

Paddy Finucane

WW2 Hero
Jul 26, 2004
Redhill
Mate have you seen Dobbie play? Absolute trash!

To quote a horseracing term - he has form in the book - he practically took Blackpool to both Playoff finals himself.

Poyet has treated him awfully - why pay Swansea and the player big money and then not use him right or more to the point not use him??

Not a bit of wonder he looked hacked off and disinterested - Poyets man management skills are crap..

Its a similar story with CMS - big money paid but never play to his strengths either..

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but I've a horrible feeling about this one...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can't have Tevez I'm afraid - Man U offered him a contract eventually but by then they'd pissed him off so much he'd already agreed to join City - Ferguson very much wanted to keep him...............
I was going to say Tevez, but if we can't have him then there's no direct comparison. We need to find an established player that Fergie signed and who turned out not to be good enough, got rejected went to Man City or Liverpool and became a success. I can't think of any as Man City are too big to take a chance on using Man U rejects - they can buy their own failures!. There are other examples of course. Dion Dublin didn't make it at Man U but did really well at Coventry (a lesser club).

Another point: The other Swansea 'rejects' we've signed have all done well, why was Dobbie a failure? You think it's down to Poyet's man-management skills whereas I think it's because he simply wasn't good enough and I'm quite happy for Palace to be our dustbin. Time will tell of course which one of us is right, let's bounce this thread at the end of the season!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another point: The other Swansea 'rejects' we've signed have all done well, why was Dobbie a failure? You think it's down to Poyet's man-management skills whereas I think it's because he simply wasn't good enough and I'm quite happy for Palace to be our dustbin. Time will tell of course which one of us is right, let's bounce this thread at the end of the season!

Harley is also a Swansea reject and has hardly done well. Maybe Palace could buy him as well in the Summer ??? :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To quote a horseracing term - he has form in the book - he practically took Blackpool to both Playoff finals himself.

Poyet has treated him awfully - why pay Swansea and the player big money and then not use him right or more to the point not use him??

Not a bit of wonder he looked hacked off and disinterested - Poyets man management skills are crap..

Its a similar story with CMS - big money paid but never play to his strengths either..

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but I've a horrible feeling about this one...

Different stories.

Cms has had so many chances and starts ahead of all the other forwards.

And if you subscribe to the poor old cms hasn't had the target man alongside theory, Gus just wasn't able to get the quality player in. He has tried with a host of loanee and acquisitions, but they weren't the quality of a Murray or Ulloa.

Dobbie just didn't get many games as the likes of Cms kept grabbing the places. In the games, or subs performances he did get, Dobbie didn't rise to the challenge.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Harley is also a Swansea reject and has hardly done well. Maybe Palace could buy him as well in the Summer ??? :lolol:
Yeah, I'd forgotten about Harley! But there you go, he wasn't good enough for us but is doing well at a lesser club. I am surprised at some of the, you could almost call it 'inbuilt inferiority' on this thread. Personally I'm delighted that, despite our current league positions, the only players that Palace can sign are has-beens and rejects. And what makes it better is that it's OUR reject! You'd have thought there would have been a bit more gloating about that, instead some people are fearful that Palace, being historically better than us, will of course be able to unlock the potential that shitty old Brighton weren't capable of. As I said above, time will tell.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
So some fans are worried that Holloway will get the best out of Dobbie when Gus could not. Is this the same Holloway whose tactics seem to be 'lump it up to Murray'.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
So some fans are worried that Holloway will get the best out of Dobbie when Gus could not. Is this the same Holloway whose tactics seem to be 'lump it up to Murray'.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate old chap ? Seen many Palace games this season have you? And thats without mentioning the fact that lets say you are right (you're not), that FFS has 25 goals this season, which totally obliterates your point anyway. How many has your top scorer got ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here