[Misc] Bully XL’s

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Should they be banned?

Irrelevance.

They already are. They are a pit bull breed and should not be owned by anyone.

At the very least they should have a muzzling order on them.

I have no idea why anyone other than a criminal moron would want to own such an ugly, dangerous, monster. Let alone have it in the house.

I’d like to see the breed wiped out.

What say you?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I bet the dog’s called “Princess” or similar as well

Funnily enough, I would guess not. Having spoken to them, the couple are the epitome of middle class snobbery and the dog is always immaculately groomed. They are certainly not @Live by the sea's 'geezers, gang members etc' :rolleyes:

However, I would be stunned if they hadn't read up and know all about what Akitas were bred for, before sourcing one and spending what I would guess is a substantial sum on one.

At some point they obviously decided that the importance of having such a fashionable dog to proudly walk around the area outweighed any risk to the toddler and baby that also live in the house :shrug:

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Funnily enough, I would guess not. The couple are the epitome of middle class snobbery and the dog is always immaculately groomed. They are certainly not @Live by the sea's 'geezers, gang members etc :rolleyes:

However, I would be stunned if they hadn't read up and know all about what Akitas were bred for, before sourcing one and spending what I would guess is a substantial sum on one.

At some point they obviously decided that the importance of having such a dog to proudly walk around the area outweighed any risk to the toddler and baby that also live in the house :shrug:
It is strange, type 'Japanese Akita' into google, and the first question that pops up.. Is this breed suitable for the family?

and the answer:

The Japanese Akita doesn't make a great family dog - as while devoted to their own family, they do not enjoy visitors and the disruptions that come with family life. They can however make good companions in a quiet house with older sensible children

..and yet, people still decide to get one.

Twats.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Saw the Mum interviewed this morning, she talked a lot of sense. Then there was an interview with a woman from the Dogs Trust wittering about stopping these dogs before they attacked rather than a ban, no suggestion as to how this could be done. Just said all dogs can bite and against any ban. How the Mum kept her cool I don't know.
They should get that woman in to sit in a room with a couple of felines. Jaguars perhaps. I mean, all cats can scratch after all.

theboybilly

As a dog lover and owner I find some of these comments particularly uninformed and unnecessarily prejudiced. There is nothing wrong with a well-trained well looked after Bull breed. There are vicious Yorkies out there. The only answer to some of these posters would be a complete ban on dogs. I vicious dog is a reflection of its owner. What a pathetic thread

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Growing up, we had a Border Collie, absolutely lovely dog, if a little crazy (stupid crazy, not aggressive crazy). We used to host summer fetes for the local girl guides etc, and the dog was always around lots of people. One year, a kid pulled his ear and he snapped at the child - luckily didn't bite him. From that day on, he HATED any child and would growl if they came near him. It seems like absolutely nothing really, since he had always been around toddlers and kids. He never bit anybody, but we didn't have blind trust in him as we did before.

Older and balder now, I have a wonderful Labrador. We've trained her very well and she responds to words, whistles and hand signals, she's very bright (for a dog). She is probably the gentlest creature I've ever known. She loves everything and everyone, especially my kids and our cats who constantly attack her. But even with her I am cautious about little ones - you can never know what will happen, despite the dog having been well trained.

I love animals, and would have loved a huge dog breed, but the idea of having something that isn't bred for companionship is just wrong to me. It's not fair on the dog and it's a risk to other people / creatures.

My cousin had some sort of pit bull cross, it was slim, with needle like teeth. She was lovely but when she got excited (which is constantly, cos she's a dog), she would nip like crazy. She was being walked in the park (on a lead), when a huge un-leashed Alsatian came bounding up and tried to take a ball she'd found. She snapped, attacked the dog and tore it's ear off. My uncle and the Alsatian's owners managed to separate the dogs and they rushed off with the dog and ear to the vets. A week later they all meet back up for my uncle to hand some money over,. The idiots have each brought their dogs. The pit bull, who was now muzzled, ripped free of the lead and attacked the Alsatian again, ripping the stitched on ear back off.

This dog was much smaller than my lab, but my uncle could barely keep hold of her. Some breeds are built differently and despite being lighter, are far stronger. As anyone who has tried to hold back a Staffie can attest. It's not the weight of the dog that determines how strong it is.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nothing comes close to dog attacks on humans as this viscous abomination of nature,these things should be banned and all the owners sent to the dungeons wearing a I owned a Jack Russell label stapled to their heads for life.

Bbc Two Iplayer GIF by BBC

Should they be banned?

Irrelevance.

They already are. They are a pit bull breed and should not be owned by anyone.

At the very least they should have a muzzling order on them.

I have no idea why anyone other than a criminal moron would want to own such an ugly, dangerous, monster. Let alone have it in the house.

I’d like to see the breed wiped out.

What say you?
Completely agree. Have big issues with dog owners on my parents farm as it is. Don't need more dangerous breeds for the dumb idiots to keep.

I have run ins with Bully owners all the time. There's lots in Bristol City Centre. Just last week one said to me 'wait until we see you on your own'.
We were passing on a bridge, my dog 10kgs and on a short leash, his a 60kg beast going absolutely spare. He was telling me to keep my dog under control whilst his dragged him towards us. I don't back down so I was mouthing off at him but realised it probably wasn't a battle I could win.
A dog walking friend is in private security and former SAS, lovely but obviously a very 'hard' chap. He's made it clear, and is very unapologetic, that if one comes anywhere near our dogs (there's a big group of regular small/medium dogs that meet up) that he'll kill the dog. He's definitely not just saying it.
It's makes no sense.
Quite right too. If the dogs chase our sheep, the gun is out, simple as that. The amount of rude dog owners we come across is crazy.

Usual radio and newspaper debates today. What I never understand is the “pro” (latest breed in the dock) defenders reasoning. It’s always “I’ve got one and it puts my kids to bed, my baby rides around the house on, it wouldn’t harm a fly blah blah” when clearly if (if every dog is capable) then having the equivalent of a SABRE TOOTH TIGER in your house isn’t going to end well for the baby/child/adult.

Why not get a sensible sized dog, rather than risk one that - if it flips - will EAT your child etc, rather than ‘merely’ bite? And why own something that strikes fear into your average pedestrian, never mind other dog owners?

This are the types of people whose defence - down the park after an attack - always begins with “he’s never done that before…”. The only reasonable response to that is to smack em in the gob and say “I’ve never done that before, either” as defence.

These idiots need saving from themselves. They’re too stupid to reason with so simply Ban the breed. Even better, then ban these owners from the gene pool. It needs tidying up after all.
THIS

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You couldn't make the timing of this up! Walking down the harbour shops in eastbourne this lunchtime a middle aged lady was walking towards us with a gorgeous little brown puppy bouncing on it's lead. Before she even got to us two other people had already petted it. When my wife was petting it she enquired what breed was it? The response was " XL Bully cross Rottweiler! " :oops:

The lady was very polite, well dressed and no hint of chav. I said nothing but the temptation to ask why do you specifically have such a breed was almost overwhelming.

I can't add much more to the debates already on this thread but surely the initial step has to be making it a legal requirement to have large powerful dogs muzzled in public? Responsible owners would surely not object? Any owner who objects suggests they like the idea of the dog intimidating people and maintaining a tough guy image.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There should not be a list of banned dogs. There should be a list of approved dogs. If a new strain comes along it has to be approved. There is always an idiot who will cross a cocker with a tiger and start breeding the damn things and we fuss about how many people it can attack before we put it on the banned list.
Every dog owner should be approved as well!!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Usual radio and newspaper debates today. What I never understand is the “pro” (latest breed in the dock) defenders reasoning. It’s always “I’ve got one and it puts my kids to bed, my baby rides around the house on, it wouldn’t harm a fly blah blah” when clearly if (if every dog is capable) then having the equivalent of a SABRE TOOTH TIGER in your house isn’t going to end well for the baby/child/adult.
A sad indictment of the nation’s critical thinking skills, people think anecdotal evidence trumps empirical evidence, and it just doesn’t.

These people would never argue “I drive at 60mph past every school at kicking out time and never hit anyone, so we shouldn’t be thinking of imposing a 20mph speed limit”, even though the logic is the same.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
If I had my way, not only would I ban dangerous breeds, but I'd also ban those small yappy shits, purely for being obnoxious, like their owners. Just because your dog looks small and cute, doesn't mean you shouldn't train them properly. Your yappy little shit machine maybe adorable to you, but it's irritating to everyone else.
We have near neighbours with small yappy dogs. One barks at us if we go in our garden. At least the owners put it indoors when it does. The other 2 are let out at regular intervals (1st of the day at 0630, sometimes the last at 2130) and they charge out barking nonstop for an unknown reason. Occasionally, the owner will shout at them to shut up or call them in. I believe dog owners should have to have a licence (renewed annually and subject to consultation with neighbours), as well as dogs. And these bully XLs should be banned.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We have near neighbours with small yappy dogs. One barks at us if we go in our garden. At least the owners put it indoors when it does. The other 2 are let out at regular intervals (1st of the day at 0630, sometimes the last at 2130) and they charge out barking nonstop for an unknown reason. Occasionally, the owner will shout at them to shut up or call them in. I believe dog owners should have to have a licence (renewed annually and subject to consultation with neighbours), as well as dogs. And these bully XLs should be banned.
The reason they charge out out is simply because of their size, they are being territorial and lacking in physical presence requires them to create a wall of noise instead apparently, normally at the initial entry into the garden followed by some gruffing around the perimeter

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As a dog lover and owner I find some of these comments particularly uninformed and unnecessarily prejudiced. There is nothing wrong with a well-trained well looked after Bull breed. There are vicious Yorkies out there. The only answer to some of these posters would be a complete ban on dogs. I vicious dog is a reflection of its owner. What a pathetic thread
I have been scouring records and am struggling to find too many ' Yorkies ' that have attacked and seriously injured or killed babies, children, young adults or adults. In fact, I have found none.
On the other hand, the ' fighting breeds ' that we have been discussing on this ' pathetic ' thread are almost entirely responsible for one attack after another against human beings of any age. Not Labradors, not Poodles, not Pugs, not Greyhounds, not Spaniels....etc etc etc.
Most of the comments on this thread are not uninformed or prejudiced. They are based on experience and fact. These animals are walking attacks waiting to happen.
Many years ago, my father bred Boxer dogs. He always taught us to respect these dogs. They were family dogs. Most of the time they were placid and loyal. However, on one occasion, one of our dogs, on hearing the front door bell, charged the front door and smashed through the glass plate in it, trying to get at the visitor. On another occasion, the postman, having delivered letters, turned and walked back towards his van. One of our Boxers, an apparently lovely dog, chased after him and bit a substantial lump out of his calf. Two moments in a few years of calmness.
All dogs are capable of aggression but when some have been bred to be genetically predisposed to fight to the death, then we are defying nature if we pretend that they are not a threat and that they can be trained into placidity for their whole lives.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm the same, dog owner and dog lover.

I once had an issue with a lurcher, nearly 30 years ago now - a rescue from Battersea. Our first child was born 9 months after getting this dog and we were a little worried about displacement and the reaction. There was no problem, the dog loved him, cleaned up after him and was dedicated to him, to the extent that she started going for any dog that looked a threat - so german shepherds etc and getting hurt every time. We were referred to a renown dog trainer (the inventer of the halti I think), Dr Roger Mugford who helped us in training that learnt behaviour out of her with the use of a can half filled with gravel strangely.

He aksed if there was anything else he could help with, so we said that she was an incessant hunter, always going for squirrels and rabbits. "Sure I can help you with that" he said - after a little time his advice was that sometimes you have to stand back and admire the instinct bred into these dogs. He was a world renown trainer recognising that whilst learnt behaviour can be resolved, bred instinct and reaction can't. You may be able to modify it but not change it.

Our dog never tried to go for another dog again, she realised we were in charge and she didn't need to. Kept hunting though, it was in her DNA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports