Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BUILD BUILD BUILD!.....on greenbelt!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why don't they utilise ALL the land that's been built on before wandering off and trying somewhere new.

I wonder how much previously built on land is now left desolate just because it's not in a maximum profit area, namely the south-east.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So we are overcrowded, but you want to build more houses, thus encouraging more people and more overcrowding.

Genius.

Unfortunately some people have not grasped the fact that if you do not have enough housing, then firstly the housing there is will be expensive because many are going for the same property and so the price goes up, and secondly to accommodate the people who do need the housing, it is unwise to let more people into a country that can not house the people that are already here.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why don't they utilise ALL the land that's been built on before wandering off and trying somewhere new.

I wonder how much previously built on land is now left desolate just because it's not in a maximum profit area, namely the south-east.

Exactly.

Problem we have at the moment, is that certain parts of London, have become so run down, and have changed beyond recognition, that anyone who can afford to is leaving such areas.

Anyone who can afford to get out of SE London is moving out to Surrey, Kent, Sussex etc. much as Eastenders migrated to Essex in the 60s and 70s.

We have to have massive investment in our inner cities.

Don't believe the House builders spin, they don't need to build on green fields to fulfil the Uk's housing needs, it's just much cheaper and far more profitable for them to do so.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think the clue is In the OPs name. Hopefully this is clever irony.

No, the irony is you posting from Switzerland - a country that has managed to bypass world wars but has managed to do rather well:moo:
Well done you,upping your meagre posts on this thread.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
There are plenty of brownfield sites in towns available, including those with derelict buildings/factories on them - these are ideal locations.

Only once we run out of brownfield sites is when we will need to start building on greenbelt land.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
As someone who has studied architecture and urban design I think the way forward is to densify our cities, rather than sprawl further in to the countryside. The UK is full of suburban sprawl. Detached suburban homes are terrible energy offenders, high heat loss and car dependant.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Unfortunately some people have not grasped the fact that if you do not have enough housing, then firstly the housing there is will be expensive because many are going for the same property and so the price goes up, and secondly to accommodate the people who do need the housing, it is unwise to let more people into a country that can not house the people that are already here.

I've read that several times and eventually realised you are STATING THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS.
Wrong Direction was born in Brighton - is ENGLISH and should not have to live in a flat that is damp/falling down for £500.00 a month.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've read that several times and eventually realised you are STATING THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS.
Wrong Direction was born in Brighton - is ENGLISH and should not have to live in a flat that is damp/falling down for £500.00 a month.

And that's only because I know the landlord, it should be 750 pcm which I could never afford inc bills!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
What I want is affordable housing for our young people, and protectiion of our countryside at the same time, something which I believe is possible.

It just means the Housebuilders would make less profit.

By the time that happens Wrong Direction will be pushing up the daises having not being able to afford a family/life.
Still he could always get a second hand caravan and the council would afford him all of life's pleasures.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Well...yeah well. Maybe if more than 30% got off their arses and voted, the youngsters (which i have two 20 and 19) might have a chance to get property rented or mortgaged. As it is, i HAVE stated the bleeding obvious......which will get worse if this country continues to get full to bleeding bursting.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And that's only because I know the landlord, it should be 750 pcm which I could never afford inc bills!

Listen, i am on your side. I want the people that live here and try hard to get on to succeed, and get a decent place to live at non crippling prices.
At this rate my son will just will just stay in my home, wheel me out when i turn my toes up.......and just change the sheets and move into my bedroom.
Good luck to you.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Listen, i am on your side. I want the people that live here and try hard to get on to succeed, and get a decent place to live at non crippling prices.
At this rate my son will just will just stay in my home, wheel me out when i turn my toes up.......and just change the sheets and move into my bedroom.
Good luck to you.

I'm 25 and will probably do the same thing to SIMMOSAYS!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Well...yeah well. Maybe if more than 30% got off their arses and voted, the youngsters (which i have two 20 and 19) might have a chance to get property rented or mortgaged. As it is, i HAVE stated the bleeding obvious......which will get worse if this country continues to get full to bleeding bursting.

Soulman--If I believed that my vote would change a thing I would use it.
My kids are 14/21/24/29 and they will all have to move away from Brighton to get a chance on the property ladder---one has already to Tarring.
Until councils prioritise housing for the people that have got off their backsides and worked for a living we are all fecked.
I like a green field as much as the next bloke but if all my kids were able to afford their own places that is more important to me.
If its on a brownfield site then great - but they tend to be £250.000 places.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
what are you on about - you cant have it all your own way. you want to concrete over our countryside just so you can afford to buy a house?

keep renting - and go for a walk in the countryside every so often instead -youll feel better

if that doesnt work - move somewhere where you can afford to live - rather than moan about it here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here