Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckingham Group

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Didn't Martin Perry come from the Buckingham Group prior to working for us?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Margins in the contracting business are always low - only takes a couple of problem projects to derail things. kier teatering recently too

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Margins in the contracting business are always low - only takes a couple of problem projects to derail things. kier teatering recently too
I didn’t think Kier were teetering so just googled them to check, but there appeared to be a notice today saying Buckingham Group had stopped trading (but they emphasised they are NOT in administration), whilst they stem recent losses/liquidity problems and look for a buyer. The problem in contracting is that margins are so slim, it only takes one major problem project to put a company on the brink.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I didn’t think Kier were teetering so just googled them to check, but there appeared to be a notice today saying Buckingham Group had stopped trading (but they emphasised they are NOT in administration), whilst they stem recent losses/liquidity problems and look for a buyer. The problem in contracting is that margins are so slim, it only takes one major problem project to put a company on the brink.
There's been rumours for a while re Kier, lots of financial indicators apparently. Major government project halted/paused sent them into a bit of a frenzy I believe - potential for them to go were openly discussed amongst a number of Clients I work into. They are such a pain in the arse contracually so it surprised me but a couple of problem projects and the picture changes drammatically

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
There's been rumours for a while re Kier, lots of financial indicators apparently. Major government project halted/paused sent them into a bit of a frenzy I believe - potential for them to go were openly discussed amongst a number of Clients I work into. They are such a pain in the arse contracually so it surprised me but a couple of problem projects and the picture changes drammatically
I have a large project with them in London.. finishes in 2/3 months time…

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Been involved in a couple of terribly run jobs, Craven Cottage has already been mentioned and I’ve been involved with some of the elements of the Anfield job which due to design issues and some questionable installation have caused huge delays and costs.

As has been said, such fine margins with delays and steel price issues through that stage of the build was always going to be a tough job to deliver at even a minimal loss.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Been involved in a couple of terribly run jobs, Craven Cottage has already been mentioned and I’ve been involved with some of the elements of the Anfield job which due to design issues and some questionable installation have caused huge delays and costs.

As has been said, such fine margins with delays and steel price issues through that stage of the build was always going to be a tough job to deliver at even a minimal loss.
Was it a change of design team from the first stand replacement at Anfield? Don't recall any issues from that one.

Anyway, if there were design issues leading to variations and delay that would have filled Buck Groups pockets.

Must have just priced
it badly in this volatile market I'd assume.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

When contractors build stadiums, do they do the thing I often find in bridge work, where they seemingly don't bother actually looking at the drawings until minutes before they're due to start construction?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Certainly a pain in the arse contractually, but not quite yet in the class of Mace and Multiplex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was it a change of design team from the first stand replacement at Anfield? Don't recall any issues from that one.

Anyway, if there were design issues leading to variations and delay that would have filled Buck Groups pockets.

Must have just priced

Following the Anfield Road End redevelopment, a sign of impending issues, was that weekend work to all intents stopped a couple of months ago. Initially close season, there was a big push do to get it all done, as you’d expect.

Your insightful posts above mentioned something I’ve seen many times going back to the 80’s. A construction company running 5 large fixed prices contracts, 4 of which are making a pre overheads profit of say 4%, whereas the 5th makes a big loss often with disputes between the client/architect and company QS/project manager. Wiping out all the good of the other 4, after overheads the business is in trouble.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Must have just priced
I’ve only been involved in brickwork elements that Buck group completely left out of tender process and no value been allowed for.

What a pity. The Amex was delivered on time and within budget, not something you can ever take for granted on such a major project, particularly starting completely from scratch. I think they did the MK Dongs stadium as well (which is decent, if rather empty and soulless).
Sad news indeed, especially as the firm was employee-owned. I think the 'within budget' angle benefitted BG more than it did us, but the punctuality was admirable considering the unexpected lying snow. Yes they did do Stadium MK but I think 'empty and soulless' is a bit harsh considering the upper tier can be completely unused without affecting the atmosphere much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here